Linux on Atom based devices

Linux on Atom based devices

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Linux on Atom based devices

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 311 total)
  • Author
    BBaker
    Participant

ugh!… my posts are not showing up.  One last try…

News just out yesterday for Linux fans. Looks like better support for Atom based devices starting to show up.
    Will be interesting to see how well it runs on some of these low cost Chinese models…

Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf released for desktop, phone, and server. 10/22/2015

“Ubuntu 15.10 also uses Linux Kernel 4.2 which adds new features for recent Intel Atom chips”…
    it also says… “Ubuntu 16.04, which is schedule to launch in April, 2016.”
    I expect pretty good support for Atom devices by the time 16.04 comes out.

http://liliputing.com/2015/10/ubuntu-15-10-wily-werewolf-released-for-desktop-phone-and-server.html

But also… keep in mind if your device won’t boot it on a USB drive it may be due to the known issue on some devices of the BIOS 32 bit UEFI mode not able to boot a 64bit OS.  You can use the 32bit release/distribution or try the 32bit UEFI workaround…

The version Xubuntu 15.10 using the Xfce UI runs faster and uses less RAM than Ubuntu: http://xubuntu.org/news/xubuntu-15-10-release/

Same for Lubuntu 15.10 out now: http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1510-wily-werewolf-released

Franxoois
    Participant

Hi,

I’m still trying to install linux on my Teclast x98 Air 3G. For the moment I only can boot my tablet with live Ubuntu Wily, written on windows with rufus before copying the efi 32bits file.

I may have some shitty usb hub and usb pen but it doesn’t work every times. The boot process often hangs, some “no media found” error. When I finally arrive to ubuntu desktop, I can’t install cause the system seems to access only to the 7 firsts partitions. That’s androids ones I want to keep.

When I use Ubuntu from the USB pen, it looks ok. The touch screen is working, only inversed. Sadly, after few minutes the tablets hangs, I’m not sure if it comes from bad contact in the hub, kernel issue or bad cluster on the pen…

Tonight I tried Mint without success.

to be continued…

BBaker
    Participant

I would definitely make a backup of your partitions and create a bootable/recovery USB before proceeding. That way you can restore if you “brick” your device. I recommend using Macrium Reflect Free. I think their site also shows how to make a recovery USB drive.  Of course test that the recovery drive is seen by your BIOS and can boot up.

One guy that I saw got it working, I think on an Asus T100 (also baytrail Atom) wiped his partitions and installed only Ubuntu.  He said one partition was read-only and he could not remove it.

BBaker
    Participant

Nice!  Linux getting it together with regards to Atom, Cherry-Trail, and Braswell chips.  If you’re a Linux/Ubuntu fan check it out…
    Linux 4.1 Speeds Up Intel Atom SoCs

BBaker
    Participant

Speaking of Linux @Chris you should know that Xiaomi is supposedly working on a Linux Laptop. I hope it comes out next year…

http://hacked.news/2015/11/xiaomi-will-start-selling-two-linux-laptops-in-2016/

BBaker
    Participant

Not a tablet unfortunately but may be helpful to anyone attempting Linux on a Cherry-Trail device.
    Ubuntu 14.04 / 15.04 Tested in Tronsmart Ara X5 Cherry Trail Mini PC
    Read more: http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/08/28/ubuntu-14-04-15-04-tested-in-tronsmart-ara-x5-cherry-trail-mini-pc/#ixzz3sSxpO0Yn

and another Linux tv-box running an octa-core Rockchip CPU (runs Android too)…
    GeekBox is a Hackable Android and Linux TV Box Powered by Rockchip RK3368 SoC
    Read more: http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/11/19/geekbox-is-a-hackable-android-and-linux-tv-box-powered-by-rockchip-rk3368-soc/#ixzz3sSytTVSz

Guillaume
    Participant

I just received my Chuwi vi8 plus and decided to give it a try. It would have been nice for me to see your post before. It took me a long time to understand a few things like the UEFI bios that is in 32 bits for some odd reasons. If you burn a Ubuntu 32 bits on the key it won’t start because of the grub which is not in 64 bits. If you do it with a 64 bits version it works by editing the “Try ubuntu” grub entry by pressing “e” then replacing “quiet spash” by “nomodeset” (of course you have to put the bootia32.efi in EFI/BOOT/) but then i arrive on the login page, it seems to load the desktop and comes back to the login page. The touchscreen doesn’t work, the wifi doesn’t seem to be recognize so i’m trying to find an iso made for one of those new devices running on z8300. I’m downloading Xubuntu 14.04 and will try the 15 soon. I will keep you updated.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Guillaume
    Participant

There are some progress. I booted into Xubuntu 14.04 desktop 64 bits without having to put the “nomodeset”. So far no Wifi connection and no sound either, the tablet is in portrait mode and you can change any settings to rotate the screen. I’m gonna try the Xubuntu 15.04.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Guillaume
    Participant

I am testing right now Xubuntu 15.10 and i’m stuck on a black screen. That’s weird that Xubuntu 14.04 boot and not the 15.10.

BBaker
    Participant

There are kernel patches that fix some things, that you may have to apply – after installing v15.10 – to fix some things depending on what devices it has, Eg. if it uses Realtek audio.

I would not waste time with anything before 15.10.   Install 15.10 and update to the latest Kernel version.  I think that’s v4.3?

Guillaume
    Participant

This is a bit weird. The only ISO that boots as is (only needs to copy the bootia32.efi in /EFI/BOOT) is Xubuntu 14.04. I have downloaded a bunch of releases from private devs for the baytrail devices assuming they should at least boot and was always getting a black screen. I tried a few changes in the bios and it now seems to at least begin the process but my tablet needs charging…

I hear you about the 15.10 but I can’t install it if I can’t boot it live first right ?  And then I don’t want to change the Windows 10 partition for now and wanted to install it either on USB or on SD card. I need to buy a hub USB 3.0 and an USB male to USB male cable in order to charge the table via the hub while having a USB key and a keyboard plugged but it is very hard to find in regular shops, I’d like to find a solution tomorrow. Do you think i can charge the tablet while testing this way ? Do you have a better idea ?

Thanks for your answer.

Lupo
    Participant

Hello, the latest version of Linux Mint is working well on Chuwi Hi10 (Intel Atom x5-Z8300 Cherry Trail) tablet, the dual boot Windows 10 / Linux Mint installation is pretty easy.

I have published detailed instructions here

What hardware have been tested and is working OK:

• USB system is working perfectly, you can attach and use any USB hardware: WiFi cards, Ethernet adapters, you have got full access to the 3G / 4G Mobile networks via attachment to a Android phone and USB tethering.
    • the original Chuwi keyboard and touch pad are working OK.
    • you have got full access to the main flash drive on the tablet with the UEFI and the Windows partition.
    • you have got full access to your memory card in the Micro SD card slot.
    • Bluethoot system is fully functional but a driver have to be installed manually after the Linux installation.

What is NOT working … yet:

• the integrated WiFi card – there are third party Linux drivers available which can be used, I have made few tests but still not able to use it.
    • the sound card – still haven’t made attempts to set it up.
    • the touch screen isn’t working.
    • the display can’t be rotated even manually … you can use it in portrait mode only. This is a problem if you have a original Chuwi keyboard 🙁 I’m using Linux on my Chuwi Hi10 tablet now with this USB keyboard an mouse but have purchased this USB keyboard and this stand also.
    • the battery is not detected by the Linux OS.

P.S. The Linux black screen problem after boot is very easy to be fixed, just use the instructions in paragraph 6 / 7 here

Guillaume
    Participant

I am pretty much at the same point on Xubuntu right now. I have made many attempts to run the wifi, no luck so far. So basically we are two trying this on the Chuwi z8300 devices (cherry trail). I say let’s try together to make things work. I have talked with the guy who runs this http://www.mj-technology.com/
    But this is for selling. He told me that it took them a year to build themselves from Scratch the touch drivers for example. Do you take the challenge ?

Lupo
    Participant

Yes, I’m in. 🙂

If we manage to get the WiFi and the sound card working, then we have a pretty well functional small but powerful enough laptop (Chuwi Hi10 + docking keyboard) with a long battery life which is good for a beginning … with the touch screen drivers working … well this is will be a pretty good working Linux tablet.

Right now I’m compiling the 4.3 kernel from source optimized for Intel Atom processor. I’m compiling it also to get a working corectly SDIO system in order the rtl8723bs SDIO WiFi device to be visible to the OS. I’m using the driver, instructions an kernel patches from here

P.S. What exactly is the hardware which you use? What is your WiFi chip?

Guillaume
    Participant

Cool, i might have to do this too, i have an Chuwi vi8 Plus (based on atom xz8300 cherry trail). I have seen that the 4.4 had been released.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 311 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar