Linux on Atom based devices

Linux on Atom based devices

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Linux on Atom based devices

• This topic has 309 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by BBaker.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    xjesus
    Participant

Good news: XJ-16.04-2016.03.21-dist.iso got WiFi working on Teclast X98 Plus so all tablets with Realtek 8723bs should work!

I’ve updated info on
    <h1>http://XJUbunTAB.xjesus.net</h1>

Daniél Lecoq
    Participant

Good news: XJ-16.04-2016.03.21-dist.iso got WiFi working on Teclast X98 Plus

Awesome!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Downloading now! I gave XJjbunTab-2016.03.19 4.4.4 a spin last night on my X98 Plus A5C6, Windows only BIOS, and my Kingston 32 GB card worked perfectly.

So for when I booted that version and the older 16.04 version a few days ago in live mode, the tablet will not shut down. I would like to have usb persistance, is that working for anyone?

Thanks again xjesus, this distro is getting better daily, great work.

Max

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tried the new build 16.04. X98 Plus A5C6 Windows only Bios. Live boot (no install)

Wifi doesn’t work for me.

Screen rotation doesn’t work. I boot it up with the tab longways but I have to turn it on end because the mouse only works properly that way for me.

Virtual box kicks an error on boot for me with live boot.

The Spanish keyboard has caused issues for me. The other version has the little mini keyboard, but I couldn’t find it on this build. When I type an M it is an O or zero, not sure. I tried to delete the Spanish default and log out and log back in but it seems I need your username/password to do that 🙂

I can’t shut down the tablet either from the shell or the login screen. After I did a hard power down from the login, the drive would not boot again, I had to re-rufus it.

Not sure if my usb wifi works on this build, my password has an M in it…lol

I had a poke around at what you have loaded up on this distro…it is primo!   I am drooling, this distro is sweet.

Does the grub install work on this build? Maybe some of my issues are related to the fact that I am running it off a usb drive?

My sd card works perfect

I see that there are people downloading, hopefully others will chime in maybe the A5C8 bios runs this better.

Max

P.S. Your 16.04 link on that page is not working for me now. I manage to catch the link before you edited the page.

Thijs S.
    Participant

Chuwi hi10 here
    lates build doent boot here, just a black screen after selecting boot live.
    XJ-16.04-2016.03.21

Sad, was really hoping to boot with a working wifi chip !!!

Daniél Lecoq
    Participant

Yea, the links on the http://xjubuntab.xjesus.net/ page only opens up to “about:blank”

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xjubuntu/files/16.04%2064%20bits%20-%20Very%20stable%20Beta/ Which was posted earlier works fine though.

Finally managed to download the 03.21 version with correct MD5… Mierda Vodafone-Ono 😉 Took 3 tries.

Gonna go and buy a keyboard today, so I can test. I got an extra mouse, but no keyboard. Luckily for me, I’m located in Spain, so the “Spanish keyboard problem” shouldn’t be any issue, even though I’d miss my Swedish special characters :'(

I was thinking… Would it be possible to install it to the SD card? Including grub. And in that case, no need to modify anything on the eMMC.

Just press F7 or whatever it is to get the boot menu at start, and choose to boot from the SD. viola, tripple boot Android/Windows/Linux 😀

xjesus
    Participant

It’s strange because this morning I couldn’t boot ?

I’ll check it later this afternoon. I wonder if I had my sdcard removed yesterday and that made a difference….

I’ll fix the keyboard problems and the links as well.

For persistence, unetbootin gives you that option but I haven’t tried. There are guides in the Web to make live USB persistent.

Also need to further research how to install on external drive (or sdcard when available).

Thanks for your inputs

Daniél Lecoq
    Participant

When making a bootable USB with Rufus, it gives me this popup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uqteam1sn1brow/menuc32.png?dl=0

Might it have something to do with boot problems?

I haven’t been out to buy my new keyboard yet, so still no testing on the X98+, just preparing stuff here.

Thijs S.
    Participant

Well the crazy thing is that a previous build (dont remember which one, but I think 19 march)  did boot al the way to the graphical UI.
    the wifi didnt work sadly enough then.

I am looking forward to the new release! 😀  I think you are the only hope for my tablet. (chuwi hi10)

Anonymous
    Inactive

When making a bootable USB with Rufus, it gives me this popup.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uqteam1sn1brow/menuc32.png?dl=0

Might it have something to do with boot problems?

I haven’t been out to buy my new keyboard yet, so still no testing on the X98+, just preparing stuff here.

I get those warnings on the 16.04 build but it still boots for me. I am going to see about a persistance usb and also try a persistent sd card. I can’t see my sd in the boot menu, but rufus boot partition might make it visable…I hope!

xjesus
    Participant

I’ve just found a new release of the PinguyBuilder that hopefully will solve the problems with 16.04 ISOs.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinguy-os/files/ISO_Builder/

http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-creating-dist-iso-on-16-04-fails?pid=34503#pid34503

http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-error-displayed-after-setting-picture?page=2

I’m cooking the new ISO with the new builder right now and will upload it ASAP.

BBaker
    Participant

@xjesus, you da man! I hope you get this distro dialed in.  And I hope some of these guys kick some donations your way eventually.  You have a bitcoin address or other way to accept donations?

pinguy
    Participant

Just a heads up 16.04 support is very much a work in progress.  There are a lot of permission issues with the ubiquity installer (thats why when the installer trys to edit /target it fails).

The good news is 14.04 and 15.10 are fully working with 32-bit UEFI (I updated /boot/efi/startup.nsh so it has the entry fs0:\EFI\ubuntu\grubia32.efi. It will now boot without any issues when installed. Before it would boot once but after a hard power down the device would stop working. This isn’t an issue anymore.)

Have been told by a couple of people that if you install 15.10 then upgrade to 16.04 it fixes the permission issues, but as I haven’t tested this I can’t say for sure if this will work.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great to see you here Pinguy. It looks like we are starting to build a little development/debugging club here. The support for cherry trail on linux has been lackluster to say the least. MagicStick seems to be the front runner as far as a stable distro goes. Maybe someone who has one could add something to the effort?? I do have some linux experience and am keen to learn more. If we could get a stable build with most things working, I think we would have a flood of converts!

Max

pinguy
    Participant

Has anyone tried Pinguy Mini with cherry trail? After doing a bit of research I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work with cherry trail devices.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar