NEWBI GUIDE TO INSTALL REMIX OS 2 ON CUBE IWORK 10

NEWBI GUIDE TO INSTALL REMIX OS 2 ON CUBE IWORK 10

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube iWork10 Ultimate NEWBI GUIDE TO INSTALL REMIX OS 2 ON CUBE IWORK 10

This topic contains 110 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Noah 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • Author

Mohamed Hussein
    Participant

EDIT : THE GUIDE PROVED TO BE NOT CORRECT.. IT CAN MAKE YOUR TABLET TO BRICK.. PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS NOW.. UNTIL I FIGURE OUT WHAT IS THE PROBLEM

DEAR ALL

GOOD DAY

AFTER MANY FAILED ATTEMPTS AND GOOD NUMBER OF BRICKS I FINALLY MANAGED TO GET REMIX OS 2 WORKING ON MY TYPE-C CUBE IWORK 10 (TCL).. I WILL TRY TO SAVE YOUR PRECIOUS TIME BY WRITING THIS TUTORIAL 🙂

THIS IS MY FIRST GUIDE, SO PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT SOMETHING FANCY , AND FORGIVE ME IF I RUIN YOUR UNIT ;P.

MY DEVICE IS TYPE C VERSION BUT THIS SHOULD WORK  WITH THE OTHER VERSIONS TOO AS FAR AS AS I KNOW.

MOST PROBABLY THIS IS GOING TO VOID YOUR WARRANTY – if any – AND WILL ALSO EXCLUDES YOU FROM FUTURE OTA UPDATES.

SO FIRSTLY:  WHAT THE HELL IS REMIX OS?

REMIX OS IS MODIFIED PORT OF ANDROID, DEVELOPED BY JIDE, THAT HAS MANY AMAZING WINDOWS-LIKE FEATURES, SUCH AS MULTITASKING, WINDOWS, TASKBAR, MOUSE RIGHT CLICK SUPPORT AND MORE, I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO TRY THIS OS.

NOW, HERE IS THE BEGINNING.

BASICALLY THERE ARE TWO METHODS TO INSTALL REMIX OS :

1. EITHER BY INSTALLING IT THROUG WINDOWS PART, DEPENDING ON REMIX INSTALLATION TOOL AND REMIX FOR PC ISO: this method has many downsides as alot of wireless and bluetooth cards are not supported by the os.
    2. THE OTHER METHOD IS BY FLASHING REMIX VIA ADB “OR INTEL FLASH TOOL” REPLACING YOUR ANDROID: the only downside of this way is that you lose your android +/- android apps and data – but anyway  you can make backup and restore your apps and data.

WE ARE GOING TO  DO IT USING THE 2ND METHOD

THE GENERAL IDEA:

THE IDEA IS TO FLASH JUST SYSTEM.IMG FROM REMIX OS ROM FOR ANY CHERRY TRAIL TABLET WITH ALMOST SEMILIAR SPECIFICATIONS  “I USED TECLAST X98PLUS” .. IF YOU ARE EXPERT GO AND DO IT .. IF YOU ARE NEWBI SEE THE STEPS DOWN.

STEPS:

YOU ARE DOING THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK.. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE OF ANY BRICKED UNITS, MALFUNCTIONS, LOSING DATA, THERMONUCLEAR WAR OR YOUR CAT GETTING PREGNANT.

MOST PROBABLY YOU WILL LOSE OTA UPDATES AND WARRANTY – if any – BY DOING THIS PROCEDURE

PRE-REQUREMENT
    – Minimal adb – you can find it here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790 CREDIT TO shimp208 FROM XDA
    – USB DRIVERS FOR IWORK 10 .. FIND IT SOMEWHERE IN THIS SITE
    – OBVIOUSLY CUBE I WORK 10 AND USB/TYPE C CABLE

NOW YOU ARE READY TO GO:

1. BE SMARTER THAN ME AND MAKE FULL BACKUP OF YOUR EMMC USING CLONEZILLA OR WHAT EVER.
    2. MAKE BACKUP FOR YOUR ANDROID DATA USING TITANIUM OR TWRP.
    3. IN YOUR PC: DOWNLOAD REMIX OS FROM: https://mega.nz/#F!nYBXUIxB!W_wQ53Mr6yVxAXGlPWxkZw CREDIT TO Maxximo88 from xda “open foler “file singoli” and download only one file that starts with “images-factory……. .zip”
    4. UNPACK THE ZIP FILE TO SHORT DIRECTORY e.g: C:\REMIXCUBE.
    5. INSTALL MINIMAL ADB TOOL THEN COPY ADB FOLDER  CONTENTS  “adb.exe, fastboot.exe, ADBWINAPI AND ADBWINUSBAPI”  TO C:\REMIXCUBE\
    6. OPEN C:\REMIXCUBE\ DIRECTORY AND OPEN CMD FROM THERE “by holding shift with right click then choose open command window here”
    7. TURN ON YOUR TABLET.. BOOT INTO RECOVERY “by holding volume down button immediately after choosing android in boot OS selection”
    8. CONNECT YOUR TABLET TO PC “using USB or type c cable according to device version”
    9. GO TO YOUR PC AND IN THE OPEN CMD TYBE “adb” WITHOUT QUOTES.
    10. TYPE “adb devices” WITHOUT QUOTES .. YOU SHOULD SEE MESSAGE LIKE “0123456789ABCDEF         device” .. INDICATED THAT YOUR TABLET IS CONNECTED AND SEEN BY PC.
    11. TYPE “fastboot oem unlock”.. THE RESPONSE WILL BE  EITHER “UNLOCKED” OR “THE DEVICE IS ALREADY IN THE REQUIRED STATUS”..  depending on if you have already unlocked your bootloader or not.
    12. TYPE “fastboot flash system system.img”.. WAIT UNTIL FLASHING ENDS THEN REBOOT YOUR DEVICE.
    13. IN OS SELECTION CHOOSE ANDROID.
    14. ENJOY REMIX OS. 🙂  “hope that you are still reading :p”

ps if android doesn’t boot you may need to flash modified boot.img as per Laura how to thread.. thanks Hans Sprungfeld

FINALLY FLASHING REMIX WITH THE ABOVE METHOD SHOULD NOT DELETE YOUR APPS AND DATA BUT ANYWAY MAKE BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING.

ROOTING REMIX OS IS SIMILAR TO ROOTING STOCK ANDROID ROM.. YOU FLASH THE MODIFIED BOOT.IMG AND THEN UPDATE SUPERSU VIA TWRP.. HOWEVER ROOTING YOUR REMIX WILL DELETE APPS AND DATA – or at least this what happened with me- MAKE SURE TO HAVE YOUR BACKUP BEFORE ROOTING.

WHAT IS WORKING?: almost everything:
    – wifi: working.
    – bluetooth: working.
    – sound: working.
    -touchscreen: working.
    – brightness control: working.
    – sd card: working.
    – battery indicator: working

WHAT IS NOT WORKING:
    – auto rotation: not working. a simple workaround is this great app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.crape.rotationcontrol
    – touchpad: working but stops all the time
    – camera: not working.

USING THIS OS IS A REALLY GREAT EXPERINCE .. I JUST WANTED TO SHARE THE JOY WITH YOU.

I WOULD LIKE TO ENCOURAGE MORE PEOPLE TO TRY FLASHING PORTS OF REMIX MADE FOR THE OTHER CHERRY TRAIL TABLETS TO FIND OUT THE MOST COMPATIBLE PORT WITH CUBE IWORK 10.. YOU CAN FIND THE OTHER PORTS IN JIDE OFFICIAL WEBSITE- SUPPORTED  DEVICES SECTION.. I ALSO HOPE THAT THIS TABLET GET OFFICIAL SUPPORT FROM JIDE AND HAS ITS OWN ROM/PORT RELEASED BY JIDE.

THIS IS ALL WHAT I HAVE .. THANK YOU FOR READING

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mohamed Hussein
    Participant

Thanks to Laura and his great thread of how to.. and the guys in cube iwork 10 forum in xda.

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

Does this totally let Windows untouched? What about all the partitions? Does this method “know” which partition to use? What if I/we don’t have TWRP (yet)? So the boot loader stays intact (android/windows) and you don’t need to change anything on there? This confuses me a bit, because I read another tutorial where you had to edit the bootloader ini files to make it work. Also what do you mean with “THE MOST COMPATIBLE” what is currently not working with your build? And please fix your caplocks 🙂

Mohamed Hussein
    Participant

yes.. this will leave windows untouched.. and also the bootloader.. we are going to flash only system partition for remix.. and boot partition for rooting if you want root.. other partition including bootloader and windows partition are totally unaffected.

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

But I don’t have a system partition anymore. Would that be a problem? The system partition was one of the four last windows partition so I removed it when I installed Windows 10 fresh.

http://i.imgur.com/ejkWtty.png <-see, no system partition

Also what do you mean with “FLASHING REMIX WITH THE ABOVE METHOD SHOULD NOT DELETE YOUR APPS” why should it be? If you unluck your device I thought data would be deleted, Also switching from Android normal to Remix is irrelevant for apps and data?

Mohamed Hussein
    Participant

what do you mean by removing it.. did you delete your windows and converted it to single os android tablet?

the other point: actually there are two system partitions.. first one is the android one and it is labeled android_system and the other one is for Windows and is named system.. you can check for this if you examine your eMMC using gparted-live usb.. this is very useful BTW..

obviously we are going to flash android system partition with is going to be there if you are still having android in your tablet

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

I deleted the last four partitions when I re-installed windows. This worked totally fine. Android was untouched. One of them was labeled system. So I am confused by this howto. How does the adb tool know which is the correct partition if it’s not labeled system?

Mohamed Hussein
    Participant

I just saw the attached picture.. be sure it is there but windows can’t not read the label..

it will be the seventh partition there

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

Also are you sure this howto works without rooting the device? I guess yours was alread rooted, so you also used the alternative boot.img right?

“please note that no matter what backup software you use, if you restore the entire disk image (specifically, the android partitions) android will NOT boot anymore. This is because Cube (or rather, their ODM) enabled dm-verity so the system detects that it has been “tampered” and  just hangs at boot. to fix that you should reflash the official android image with the files provided by Cube, or use a modified boot.img (see rooting section)”

Wouldn’t that be a problem?

Mohamed Hussein
    Participant

it will flash it.. me also deleted the last 4 partition before flashing remix as you can see from the attached photo..  but this is irrelevant.. it will flash system.img with those last 4 partitions or without them..

this is how adb works.. it can detect android system partition even if it is labeled android_system

Mohamed Hussein
    Participant

for be it booted without the need to flash modified boot.img.. but anyway I was going to add this in the tutorial.. thank you for memorising me.

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

what do you mean with that? so it wont work if it’s not having the altered boot.img? maybe then include that part and where to download it too for the usb-c version, then you can also include how to flash twrp.

Mohamed Hussein
    Participant

as I said: for me it worked without the need for modified boot.img.. I flashed system.img rebooted into android and it worked out of the box.

for you if it doesn’t boot you can try to flash modified boot.img and see.

for type c modified  boot.img I have it and I can post it later

for TWRP you really don’t need it unless you want root.. and it is already explained in the Laura thread.. if all of you still want to see it here I can quote it

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

You mentioned above that you have twrp and also rooted it before, so I am sure you already had the modified boot.img and don’t know if it’s not working or not.

Mohamed Hussein
    Participant

I am going to sleep now because it is already 2 am here.. thank you for your tips and for participating in my 1st guide.. if you have any other inquiries I will hopefully answer them tomorrow.. thanks and excuse me 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password