OTG charge and data USB-C?

OTG charge and data USB-C?

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi8 Pro Discussion OTG charge and data USB-C?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Andy B
    Participant

A reviewer of the Chuwi HiBook on Amazon wrote that this hub works to both charge it and give USB 3.0 full sized ports. I’m not sure it it’s “OTG” or not (what’s the difference?) http://amzn.com/B01EIYOAOA

Edit: Here’s his review:

Back when Win 10 first rolled out, and USB Type C 3.1 was a super new, super rare thing, there was an announcement that Windows 10 was fully compatible with Type C. But there wasn’t a thing on the market that combined the two… until now.

Used with a Chuwi HiBook Dual OS Tablet that has a USB C port, and works both with Windows 10 and Lollipop 5.1 operating systems. And in terms of portability, this is unquestionably far more pack friendly than my last OTG hub. The integrated cable has just the right length to reach up while keeping the hub flat on the surface.

Note that many external media storage devices, like HD/SS drives and DVD burners, tend to draw a bit more power than the side ports can supply. If the media storage has its *own* power supply, though, should be fine. Also be aware that this does not come with a separate C to A power supply cable, which was a disappointment since I was hoping for a matched cable set. Not enough to really bang rating wise since I did have my Type C cord from my tablet, nor does the product text actually say it does.

Does get warm to the touch with long, extended use, but never hot.

Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Anthony Witham
    Participant

Hi All,

Further to my last posting, I tested the following hub with a USB 3.0 Samsung External 1.5tb portable hard drive which worked and I attached two different USB flash Drives at the same time, all three connected and worked well.

I have made my adapter power connector cable and connected it to the hub and attached it to the Hi8Pro with all three drives connected. The charge light went on windows displayed 90% and 20 minutes to full charge. The display stayed at 90% while working for some time with the tablet, showing it was holding the charge. It mustn’t provide enough power to charge the battery and use the hub to read USB drives. regardless whether I had one USB flash drive or the external hard drive attached. I have ordered another adaptor to see if I can charge as well as read USB devices.

USB-C USB 3.1 HUB Type C 4 Port External Compact Built-in Cable 3.0 USB-C PC MAC

Regards

Anthony

Anthony Witham
    Participant

Hi All,

I can now confirm I have managed to find a USB C 3.0 hub that will charge the device while in use. It is available from Amazon, but sadly you can not get it in Australia. I had to get sent to my nephew in the USA and he brought it to Australia on his vacation. Link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Aluminum-MacBook-Google-Chromebook/dp/B018YW61PI/175-9882071-8322809?ie=UTF8&keywords=AUKEY%20Hub%20USB%20C%20a%204%20Porte%20USB%203.0&qid=1464062986&ref_=sr_1_sc_13&sr=8-13-spell

omer
    Participant

If anyone is looking for a cheap otg-charging solution

http://www.banggood.com/Aluminium-Alloy-USB-3_1-Type-C-to-4-Ports-Hub-For-Macbook-Google-Chromebook-p-1028245.html

this product works for hi8 pro but it only feeds 0.5 Amps to tablet. And you can use it to feed power to external harddrives.

John Moore
    Participant

There’s gotta be something on Banggood, Gearbest, or Ali Express that does all this for like $5, tho.  C’mon, we are resourceful. Let’s find it. We didn’t buy $90 computers just to spend $30 on a hub.  At least something that charges at full speed with USB2.0 and type C?

Vedran
    Participant

There’s gotta be something on Banggood, Gearbest, or Ali Express that does all this for like $5, tho. C’mon, we are resourceful. Let’s find it. We didn’t buy $90 computers just to spend $30 on a hub. At least something that charges at full speed with USB2.0 and type C?

Make such hub, sell it for 5$, I guarantee we will all buy it 🙂

Vedran
    Participant

What’s the charging rate compared to original Chuwi charger?

Anthony Witham
    Participant

<!–more–>aatron wrote

here you go. this one works for me. its $4.99, it can charge while working as a hub and it is backward compatible with USB 2.0 ?

http://www.banggood.com/USB-3_1-Type-C-To-4-Port-USB-3_0-Hub-Adapter-High-Speed-p-995583.html?p=UF30093157177201511Y

<!–more–>

This just arrived today, it does work as a hub. When connected to power the charging light is on, but the battery stills drains. I started at 90% with 35 minutes to full charge and left it sitting on my desk . When I went back 5 minutes later it said 85% and 35 minutes to full charge. Another 5 minutes 83% with 35 minutes to full charge. I can’t recommend this as a charging hub, as it doesn’t charge my Chuwi Hi8 Pro, serial 5000, dual boot Windows 10 / Android 5.1.

Anthony Witham
    Participant

Hi aatron,

Tried that, it loses less charge 98% to 97% in thirty five minutes but does not hold charge. The only hub I found that will charge,  not just hold the charge is the Aukey USB C hub

Daniel Tonya
    Participant

Any chance that 2.0amp is just too little to charge the HI8 Pro and power the hub at the same time?  The reason I wonder is that my HI 10 running at full bore hardly charges at all at 2.0amp, but does a bit better with a 2.4amp charger.  I don’t have a 3amp charger to see, but I’m wondering if the CPU implementation in the HI8 Pro is so power hungry that it is out pacing the capacity of the included 2.0 amp charger.  Just an idea, the HI8 Pro may not take advantage of the extra power anyway….

Anthony Witham
    Participant

Hi Daniel,

I thought that might be the case too. I tried charging via a 2 amp power board usb port, a separate Samsung 2 amp charger, and a 3.4 amp usb  charger and found no difference. The device will charge directly from the power cable on all three devices, but only slowly discharges when connected to the hub with the same three methods.

In fairness to the hub it’s not listed as a charging hub, where the Aukey is. That’s why you pay the money for the Aukey as its has over protection circuit, and better construction. I think the problem is the Chuwi itself, the implementation of USB 3. Once I had the device not show any charge even when the Aukey, or original charging cable was connected. So I turned it off left it and turn it back on and it started charging.

Daan Kroon
    Participant

Paid 15 euro for a charging hub, works great except when you plug in a usb, the charging will go to 0.5 amp.
    Bought for 30 euros a bluetooth mouse-keyboard combination and get severe lag once a key is pressed.Also this tablet states it supports bluetooth 4.0. It doesn’t work at all if you connect 2 bluetooth devices at the same time
    lots of interference and decreased performance.

If i’m forced to use a tablet only made for webbrowsing I’ve bought a android tablet instead.
    I thought this was the perfect answer for lanning with friends, playing minecraft, LOL, counter-strike, etc.

Moe
    Participant

Paid 15 euro for a charging hub, works great except when you plug in a usb, the charging will go to 0.5 amp. Bought for 30 euros a bluetooth mouse-keyboard combination and get severe lag once a key is pressed.Also this tablet states it supports bluetooth 4.0. It doesn’t work at all if you connect 2 bluetooth devices at the same time lots of interference and decreased performance. If i’m forced to use a tablet only made for webbrowsing I’ve bought a android tablet instead. I thought this was the perfect answer for lanning with friends, playing minecraft, LOL, counter-strike, etc.

What´s the name of the charging hub? (Link?) USB 3.0 devices like hdd and flash memory are supported?

I bought the iclever usb hub(https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01AFR8PW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). charging doesn´t work properly. USB 3.0 devices aren´t detected. USB 2.0 devices are fine.

Linea
    Participant

Hi8 Pro doesn’t have  USB3.0, it has just this Type-C 3.1 connector which suggests it is a USB 3.0 interface.
    Take a look at the specs.
    Therefore it’s not a wonder why USB3.0 devices are not working on your HUB

Btw. in most cases a standard power supply can’t deliver enough power for Hi8 pro AND other consumers at the same time. USB 2.0 power is limited to max. 500mA. Straight charging cable of course has no such limitations. You can check the load with  such  Cable

Daan Kroon
    Participant

goo.gl/YJCQq7   2 Amps charging my *ss.

I’ve opened up the device and checked the components.
    luckily I have proper understanding of SMD components.
    There is a usb 3.0 controller in the usb hub, sadly the chuwi itself is held back with a usb 2.0 controller.
    Maybe in the future I’ll try crafting a proper usb hub with an extra cable supplying power to the chuwi (a bit like the old portable hdd cables).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password