Running Linux on the EZBook 2?

Running Linux on the EZBook 2?

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Running Linux on the EZBook 2?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 370 total)
  • Author
    Franxoois
    Participant

Good news: the multi-touch on the touchpad is working. I’m currently busy though so I can’t really work on this laptop at the moment.

How ? Have you done something special ?

Franxoois
    Participant

I shrink my windows partition and installed ubuntu 16.04.1 on double boot. Everthing was fine.

Out of the box, wifi, touchpad, sound and battery indicator doesn’t work. I use a mouse and my phone sharing connexion by usb. I updated kernel with 4.7 without any change

dmesg command is full of

[ 96.346613] ACPI Error: Operand must be Buffer/Integer/String/Package – found type Method (20150930/exoparg1-763)
    [ 96.346632] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB.TCHG.PPPC] (Node ffff88013b109910), AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE (20150930/psparse-542)

Any help is appreciated 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

Would love to see some people with a bit of knowledge working on that.

I can’t achieve a USB boot, is that normal? The flash drive just does not show up in the boot devices…

Franxoois
    Participant

Hi,

I plugged my usb drive and start the pc spawning ESC key. The pen appears in bios boot options

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh well I made a new drive with Lubuntu and it booted well. Just need drivers now. If only Michael came back to explain how he did to make the touchpad work, and hopefully he could find drivers for WiFi and audio…

Penislav
    Participant

The case for the touchpad is weird, because after inspection it’s  he same USB device as the keyboard, which works just fine.  Running ‘cat /dev/input/mice’ and moving and clicking the touchpad gives no output. For the record, I’m on Arch Linux.

Did anyone get the Fn keys working? Brightness, volume, et al.

GilDev
    Participant

What happened? All my posts became Anonymous…

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

Hello all, I received my Jumper EzBook 2 yesterday and I bought it hoping to install GNU/Linux in it.

So far I successfully booted to ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS x64 via USB Pen made with unetbootin.

Results: no wi-fi, no touchpad, no wi-fi, and no bluetooth but … web camera works out the box! My Toshiba 1TB External 2.5″ HDD 3.0 also worked out of the box!!!!

I’ll be trying other distros in the next few days, and I’ll keep you posted on any progress… for now I’ll leave you with a full hardware report made from HWiNFO64 on Windows 10, I’m hoping the community can use this report to somehow create, compile, etc the correct drivers for this hardware to run Linux.

FULL HTML HARDWARE REPORT at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9799184/Jumper_EzBook_2/Jumper_EzBoo_2.htm

Best regards
    Ricardo

GilDev
    Participant

Thanks for contributing! I think other distributions will have the same problem. What is really needed is drivers. Michael said he got the touchpad working but did not post any instruction…

I really hope some people will have success making GNU/Linux works on this EzBook.

Franxoois
    Participant

For the records, I tried Linux mint 18 few days ago. Touchpad and wifi doesn’t work better.

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

Thanks for contributing! I think other distributions will have the same problem. What is really needed is drivers. Michael said he got the touchpad working but did not post any instruction… I really hope some people will have success making GNU/Linux works on this EzBook.

I’m absolutely in love with this “Laplet”, it’s very fast in Windows 10, and flies with Live Linux… I’m not giving up easily 😉
    I’m using it for Firefox + Thunderbird + 1080p Video & sound, and it rocks!!!! The keyboard does not wobble (like I saw in some reviews), absolutely fantastic for this price range. If drivers is what is needed then I think it’s just a matter of time until we get them…

May someone can reverse engineer the windows drivers!!!!!

For the records, I tried Linux mint 18 few days ago. Touchpad and wifi doesn’t work better.

Just tried Antergos (Arch based) and: no wi-fi, no touchpad, no sound, and no bluetooth 🙁

Next I’m going to try dumping some lshw reports… stay tuned!

Best regards
    Ricardo

Damian Rodriguez
    Participant

Has anyone tried elementaryOS?  Is an ubuntu based distro which runs even in old (short specs) computers, and FLIES in this laptop, but… again, no wi-fi or touchpad… developers on that distro are awesome and I think if enough of us ask them to check out the problem, they might be able to help us fix it.

Regards

PS: Sent a tweet to Jumper… lets see if they answer…

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

Has anyone tried elementaryOS? Is an ubuntu based distro which runs even in old (short specs) computers, and FLIES in this laptop, but… again, no wi-fi or touchpad… developers on that distro are awesome and I think if enough of us ask them to check out the problem, they might be able to help us fix it…

This other guy might actually already did something very similar… he combined some recent patches and source code and ported them with Canonical’s kernel source to create an ISO that can now fully support HDMI audio, wifi and bluetooth.
    Ubuntu 16.04 ISO for Atom based Intel Compute Stick
    http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2016/04/ubuntu-1604-iso-for-intel-atom-compute.html

Best regards
    Ricardo

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

I’ve tweeted Linuxium as well… let’s hope the incredible Linux community can help us

Best regards
    Ricardo

GilDev
    Participant

Glad this thread is getting a little more attention again! Touchpad and WiFi drivers are the most important ones, it would save my life!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 370 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar