Solution to crash in Windows, black screen and not booting afterwards!

Solution to crash in Windows, black screen and not booting afterwards!

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Pro Forum Solution to crash in Windows, black screen and not booting afterwards!

This topic contains 138 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Dennis van Elteren 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 139 total)
  • Author

Dennis van Elteren
    Participant

Do you experience random crashes, black screen in windows and the tablet wont boot after that? And your android is probably working fine?

I had this also, here is the solution (at least for me, after trying countless other things like updating all drivers)

It was some processor power management setting in the tablet. Found this on the Chinese teclast forums

You can choose how Windows handles processor thermal issues. The setting must be changed from ACTIVE to PASSIVE.

This setting was not present at my tablet. Probably it is also not present on yours. So I had to first find out how to enable it. This has to be done in the Windows registry and I found a nice post on the internet which shows to do it automatically by downloading a .reg file that does it.

Only thing to do after download is right-mouse click it and choose MAKE. Then reboot and its available. Details here:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/51043-power-options-add-remove-system-cooling-policy.html

The next step is change the setting to passive, which is described here:

http://superuser.com/questions/655733/how-to-disable-software-initiated-overheat-shutdown-due-to-broken-sensors-in-w

After doing this when I got to my critical 40% battery level I hear some high frequency sound, probably some electronic ciruit kicking in. BUT THE TABLET STAYS ON!! Probably this was what triggered my tablet to BLACK SCREEN.

I could even reboot the tablet while the battery was only 33%. Windows loaded again and I could start an app without crash! So very happy.

OTHER INFO:

-charging the tablet in Android mode goes way faster….

-there definitely is some power issue in windows. I connected a power voltage/current monitor and I saw that during the charging in windows it took 2.4Amps of current all the time! Thats over the 2A rating of the charger…. Typical Chinese to supply a charger that does not cut it… This also explains why after a crash the tablet does not come on and maybe after some waiting it does…Probably the tablet draws then even more current then 2.4A (had no chance to test because my problem is solved!!)

So what I did is find on ebay a 3A charger and hope this also makes it charge faster. I think the original charger is not even safe to leave unattended, its too heavily loaded and heats up. It will break down in a while I think.

I hope this info helps other users, I will start a new post with a subject everybody can find when searching for the symptoms I had.

Eloi
    Participant

oh man!!

you are the best!!

with your info, I have activated the maximun and minimum processor state (other option but same method)

thank you so much

Dennis van Elteren
    Participant

Welcome! Hope to find myntabkets problem as well some day…

Dennis van Elteren
    Participant

Because in my other post I was thrilled that I found my shutdown problem but for me this did not work in the end.

I think Win10 is causing power load spikes which the battery  and/or electronics cannot cope with. I will try if I can run windows in extremely lowpower mode

Dennis van Elteren
    Participant

Ok I might just solved it yesterday. I played extensively with the power settings, especially the power safe option. This I set to kick in already at 60% and it seems the tablet is now “reacting less agressively” in windows saving the battery. And with the nice side effect that because the hits on the battery do not take place the tablet does not suddenly shutdown!

I’ve gone to 30% with the battery without crash, then boot to Android and let it drain under android until 20%. Then I fully charged it and went back to Windows, here I had 100%. Will play tonight after work with it again. Cross my fingers.

Dennis van Elteren
    Participant

Little update: still running, charge-discharged it for 3 times now without crashes while I’ve gone as low as 27% battery before charging. I could even watch a movie, the battery went from 77% to 70% while the movie was 45 minutes. Thats quite good.

On battery keep this baby constrained so there are no energy spikes then it works fine. It’s probably due to a cheap/bad battery which can not deliver peak currents very well.

Sanxion
    Participant

oh man!! you are the best!! with your info, I have activated the maximun and minimum processor state (other option but same method) thank you so much

Thanks for the information. 2 observations:

1. According to the first link you mentioned, the difference between “Active” and “Passive” is in relation to the increasing/decreasing fan/processor speed. However, the X98 does not have a “fan” and therefore presumably the setting should be “Passive” by default on tablets?
    2. You said under Windows the charger was drawing 2.4A of current which exceeds the rating of the charger. However, the charger supplied with my X98 is rated at 2.5A – which should therefore be fine

As I mentioned in my other thread, my X98 shut down and refused to turn back on after I attached my phone via an OTG cable. It did eventually switch back on but I suspect the battery charging calibration is now inaccurate. I wonder if these issues are linked?

Dennis van Elteren
    Participant

Hi Sanxion

1. The solution mentioned there I got from the internet as the solution for shutting down due to thermal issues. I saw many enthousiastic people, thats why I gave it a try. I dont know about the passive/active cooling what the difference is, I just tried it
    2. My charger clearly states to be 2A (european charger) and gets quite hot thats why I measured its charge current and found it to be 2.4A. I suspect that the actual 5V voltage is dropping during the charge because 2.4A is just too much. Its a bit of a technical story but the charger is switchmode, at serveral hunderd kiloherz it regulates its output voltage, I suspect the 5V when loaded with 2.4A is actually oscillating between 4-5V on the switchmode frequency. My “dumb” power analyser just sees the avarage value of that which is approx 5V. I cannot measure with an oscilloscope otherwise I could proove this. The simplest solution is not to bother and just buy a 3A charger (which I did, hope it arrives soon)

What you encountered can very well be the same problem as I have (had I must say, its quite stable the last days). When you connect your phone it just thinks it sees a normal desktop PC so it will try to charge itself via the battery of your X98. That will give a huge power dip and I believe then the hardware-protection kicks in. This shuts down the tablet immediately and also I does not want to power back on until the battery is considerably more charged like 70% or something

These tablets just have a bad battery: capacity is not as promised and they perform badly when it comes to  heavy loads. When connecting your phone a good battery would not “dip” its output voltage and supply the 5V for as long as the capacity allows it. A bad battery dips briefly to way below 5V. Windows does not like that. Android manages this better.

Sanxion
    Participant

Hi Dennis

Thank-you for the response. 2 questions:

1. Where did you buy a 3A charger from and is it genuine?
    2. Why does the tablet “dip” its output voltage when a phone is connected to it?

I must add that until the incident yesterday, I didn’t experience any charging issues.

Dennis van Elteren
    Participant

Hi Sanxion

1. from Dealextreme and genuine? As genuine as the original hahaha!

http://www.dx.com/p/3a-eu-plug-usb-wall-charger-power-adapter-for-mobile-phone-tablet-pc-black-349645#.Viisun7hBpg

2. Because your phone sees your Tablet as power source it starts to charge from it. This causes a quick pull to the tablet battery because current starts to flow and I think the battery is not so very good in handling this. So the power dips briefly and some protection acts right away and shuts down the tablet

I have no issues anymore either, maybe charge-discharge the battery a couple of times did good to it

Sanxion
    Participant

Hi Dennis

That is useful to know. Thanks. Is there a way to circumvent this from happening? Are you now able to attach your phone to your X98 without it shutting down?

Also, is it safe to use a 3A charger for a device that comes with – in my case – a 2.5A charger?

Lorenzo Copparoni
    Participant

Hi Dennis, I’m really looking forward your expertise in topic, and just wanted to know if you can explain better your solution to the 40% battery shutdown problem! Thank you!!

Dennis van Elteren
    Participant

Hi Sanxtion and Lorenzo,

Lorenzo basically the power safe option was what fixed it for me check here http://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10s-built-in-battery-saving-mode/

And Lorenzo, its perfectly safe to use a charger with higher capacity. 3A is what it can give if required, it is not wat it WILL give 🙂 The tablets asks about 2.5A so the original charger has a tough time but if you use one which can go to 3A then it can do 2.5A easily. Think about it like rechargable AA sized batteries: if you can buy 2500mAh or 3000mAh for the same price then you buy 3000 right? And then you are not worried about the fact they can deliver more current 🙂

What you can do to connect your phone is either remove its memory card and put it in a card reader and connect this to the tablet (this takes much less power). Or if you MUST connect your phone (if you want something from the phone memory) use a non-powered HOST cable. This means that the Voltage wire is not present and thus you can communicate between tablet and phone without the tablet charging the phone.

The phone has its own battery so it does not need power from the tablet. A cardreader or usbstick does need power so here use the original HOST cable. NEVER connect a 2.5″ sized usb-powered hdd thats way too much for the tablet to handle.

Last option…buy a powered cable like this http://www.dx.com/p/3-in-1-otg-usb-cable-w-data-transfer-charging-function-for-phone-tablet-pc-white-400992#.VijHbn7hBpg

here you can also plugin your charger so everything is powered by your USB charger (phone and tablet). Now you can even attach 2.5″ USB hdd’s 🙂

I hope I made sense

Lorenzo Copparoni
    Participant

Thank you Dennis!

Anyway I didn’t understand the article about power saving modes. I mean that article explains the windows 10 power saving modes, but I didn’t understand YOUR personal settings which fixed your problem. This would be really critical for me, since if I have the certainty that this problem can be fixed I can buy the tablet, anyway I’ll not buy it.

Dennis van Elteren
    Participant

Hi Lorenzo,

See the picture in the article about battery saving settings? Here it is set to kick in at 5%, I changed this to 60% to be safe! That worked for me.

There is however NO GUARANTEE if you encounter the problem that it works for you as well. I just posted it to help out those guys who already have the tablet and have this problem

You didnt buy yet so consider yourself lucky!! If I had known this I’d not bought it because its a pain in the ass…..

You better monitor this forum and see which of the chinese tablets is the most problem-free, buy that one.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password