Thermal mod / TDP increase – viable option for gaming?

Thermal mod / TDP increase – viable option for gaming?

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums Teclast F6 Pro Thermal mod / TDP increase – viable option for gaming?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    joegillian
    Participant

Hi.

If you follow what we said here it’s normaly ok.

And look carefully the battery on the side it’s only paper. The real batery part start after 2 cm from the side. (I dont if you undersand what I mean)

If you do good job. You never up than 71C.

Show some picutres if you not sure.

Have fun ! 😉

Juan
    Participant

Well, that’s not exactly what I have in mind. My main concern is not to keep the CPU cooler, but to prevent the left part of the laptop from getting too hot while the right is cool. With the mod you posted above, CPU temp decreases, but at the cost of making the bottom-left of the laptop get even hotter.

My idea is to put a big copper sheet across all the bottom cover, that spreads from left to right, and so distributes the heat evenly through the bottom. The goal is that, when I put it on my lap, instead of burning my left leg while the right remains cool, have both legs be evenly warm.

Cube Thinker i35 already has what I want to do in my Teclast, you can see it in this video, minute 1:50 (notice the big copper sheet attached to the bottom cover): https://youtu.be/hNkZlaK2bEE

joegillian
    Participant
    hi !! 
    OK i see. (sorry i m english is not well)
    So for this video its exactly what i do on my F6PRO. 
    (at 1:47.... me i put smaller cooper 10cm X 10cm X 0.8..... and its no really touch the battery...not directly)
    and when you finish this mods its make the left side, left side around keyboard and left back side to a bit hot only if you  play game. 
    (so CPU around 70C and left side no more than 45C when i use my thermometer)

Hope its help ;)

Olly
    Participant

Hey folks.

@Juan, it really depends on what you are looking to do. There are two options to choose:
    1. Lower the CPU temperature and increase performance
    2. Keep the laptop cooler under use

Unfortunately, the two options can not be combined. They do not go together.

For example, lowering the CPU temperature is easy, by replacing the small thermal pad with a copper shim, then adding another thermal pad between the copper plate and the laptop bottom cover. However, the bottom of the laptop will increase in temperature. Since the laptop chassis is made of magnesium alloy, it becomes an extended heatsink which means it WILL get hotter underneath and you will NOT be able to use it on your lap comfortably.

On the other hand, if you want to keep the laptop cooler on your lap while gaming or heavy use of the CPU, then you could replace the thermal insulation pad (the black thing in the pictures attached) with a bigger pad. This must be an INSULATING pad, not thermally conductive. But remember, it is not a “fix” and the bottom of the laptop will always get hot after some time of heavy use.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joegillian
    Participant

@Olly you exactly right.

I can recommand you to to play with cpu setting. Like one mod with very low cpu setting (put 30% in Windows setting). And another one mod only for gaming.

For this gaming mod you can add à custom resolution to like 940×550 for play big game and get more fps.

Question: any idea for bios setting ? I find nothing special about it online…

Thanks 🙂

Olly
    Participant

Question: any idea for bios setting ? I find nothing special about it online… Thanks ?

Anything in particular?

joegillian
    Participant

Setting for save more battery for example. Or for push un game.

If anyone have sole information about bios setting it’s cool 🙂

Juan
    Participant

I have ordered a thin 200mm x 100mm copper sheet, 0.5mm so very thin and flexible. I will glue this to the back of the bottom cover so that the heat can be spread evenly and better through the plastic

@Olly That is pretty much what I want to do. Did you finally do it? If so, can you tell us the results? I was hoping that, if heat spreads more evenly through the bottom, then the left side won’t be so hot, even though the right side will be warmer than before.

Olly
    Participant

@Juan I just made another post explaining and detailing my mods. The copper sheet spreads the heat somewhat, but there will always be a “point source” underneath the CPU where it is much hotter.

Perhaps you could offset the copper sheet, so that it only just touches the main copper plate, and then add a thermal insulation pad right underneath the CPU area? Not sure if it would work but in theory…

Max
    Participant

Hello everyone.

I wanted to share my own experiences with my thermal mod. I have replaced the cheap 1 mm thermal pad with a 15x15x1 mm copper plate in combination with MX4 thermal paste and the temperatures have dropped by 15°c while gaming. The laptop is also way cooler to the touch at the bottom of the notebook (which is NOT made out of plastic by the way) and on the left side of the keyboard. I don’t recommend using any kind of thermal pads because they transfer heat way worse than copper. I also HIGHLY recommend everyone to tweak the voltages of their CPU and the GPU inside the BIOS, because this will increase lifetime, reduce quite a lot of heat generation and save power.

Also, adding a copper sheet in combination with a thermal pad on top the copper heatplate will hardly do anything for your cooling. There isn’t much that you can do except for the copper plate between the SoC and the copper heatplate. Correct BIOS settings are also VERY important. Teclast has set a max TDP of 15 watts, which is way too high. Set it to 10 watts inside your BIOS if you want max performance. You won’t notice any difference in performance and your SoC will run cooler. Default normal TDP of 7 watts is fine.  I have set my TDP to 4.5 watts (normal and max) and Skyrim runs at around 38 fps with everything set to low except textures (medium), anisotropic filtering (8x) and viewing distance (medium) on 1280×720 and the SoC doesn’t go above 50°c. 4.5 watts is also perfectly fine for desktop use because the CPU is still able to clock at 2,6GHz and it saves a lot of battery life.

joegillian
    Participant

Thanks for your help .

Can you just tel me where you do this in your bios ? I really try find it but I dont know where you change it… 🙁

Max
    Participant

Thanks for your help . Can you just tel me where you do this in your bios ? I really try find it but I dont know where you change it… ?

Watch this video to find out more about the BIOS: https://youtu.be/tO-p2sCaXck

The BIOS is the same as from the GPD Win 2.

Nait
    Participant

Hello everyone. I wanted to share my own experiences with my thermal mod. I have replaced the cheap 1 mm thermal pad with a 15x15x1 mm copper plate in combination with MX4 thermal paste and the temperatures have dropped by 15°c while gaming. The laptop is also way cooler to the touch at the bottom of the notebook (which is NOT made out of plastic by the way) and on the left side of the keyboard. I don’t recommend using any kind of thermal pads because they transfer heat way worse than copper. I also HIGHLY recommend everyone to tweak the voltages of their CPU and the GPU inside the BIOS, because this will increase lifetime, reduce quite a lot of heat generation and save power. Also, adding a copper sheet in combination with a thermal pad on top the copper heatplate will hardly do anything for your cooling. There isn’t much that you can do except for the copper plate between the SoC and the copper heatplate. Correct BIOS settings are also VERY important. Teclast has set a max TDP of 15 watts, which is way too high. Set it to 10 watts inside your BIOS if you want max performance. You won’t notice any difference in performance and your SoC will run cooler. Normal TDP of 7 watts is fine. I have set my TDP to 4.5 watts (normal and max) and Skyrim runs at around 38 fps with everything set to low except textures, anisotropic filtering (8x) and viewing distance on 1280×720 and the SoC doesn’t go above 50°c. 4.5 watts is also perfectly fine for desktop use because the CPU is still able to clock at 2,6GHz and it saves a lot of battery life.

Hi,

Thank you for the info, could you please post some pics of the BIOS as I am very interested in this mod. In the video you mentioned is not very clear as he uses TDP boot mode up instead of nominal which is the default for our laptop.

Thank you

Nait
    Participant

BTW I have stress tested the CPU with XTU and it never reaches 2.6GHz, it stucks at 2.4GHz with temps between 74C-80C

Juan
    Participant

it stucks at 2.4GHz

Are you running a multi-thread stress tool? If that is the case, then the reading is correct. This CPU has a turbo max speed of 2.6 GHz for a single core, or 2.4 GHz for two cores.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password