Alternative Type-C charger for the Hi13.

Alternative Type-C charger for the Hi13.

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi13 Forum Alternative Type-C charger for the Hi13.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Chris G
    Keymaster

Posted this in the first Chuwi Hi13 thread, but I’ve just ordered the EU Samsung Type-C 25W fast charger (12v 2.1A) for my Hi13 this one should work. It’s going to take like two weeks to arrive, I’ll update on if it works or not. I have a feeling it should be fine as it outputs over 2A and it’s 12 volts exactly what my Hi13 needs. And I can charge my mobile and the tablet with the same adaptor which is a bonus.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Bob
    Participant

Hey Chris,

While it is not yet clear which charging standard (I hope it does adhere to a standard) the Hi13 supports, I’d be careful with the Samsung unit as is doesn’t Support USB-pd rev.1 or rev. 2, but it is rather a Samsung active fast Charge/Qualcomm quick charge 2.0 charger.

It is not USB-type c (pd) compliant and uses a completely different power negotiation protocol and could fry your device.

Here is a list of chargers tested, including advertised supported standards and, equally important, how well they comply with those standards.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/edit#gid=1288176877

Unfortunately, it looks like its going to be quite a while until we have true compatibility with USB-c charging because companies like Samsung deduce to use non compliant charging devices.

Btw I run a Samsung Tabpro S as my main mobile device and Samsung EU has not been able (or willing?) to confirm if  I can use a USB-PD compliant charger to fast charge it. Really, really great tablet though and looking  forward to getting the HI13 next week to see if it can compare.

More info on USB compliance issues etc here:

<span style=”color: #ffdfdf;”>The Best USB-C Chargers of 2016: What’s Safe and What’s Dangerous?</span>

Chris G
    Keymaster

Thanks for the great info on chargers. Okay so it might not work, I’ll find out and test it when it arrives. I don’t think it will fry the tablet, but you never know if it does I’ll be sure to warn everyone.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Austin
    Participant

@bob are you saying any of those chargers on that list will work with the hi13 if so that’s wonderful

Bob
    Participant

So, looking into this a bit more it’s pretty clear that the keyu  1440 charger supplied with the hi13 is not USB-IF PD certified and is most probably just a normal dumb 12v 2a charger with a USB-c connector instead of the typical 5mm barrel plug. That would mean one should not use it to charge any other USB-pd compliant devices.

This doesn’t exclude the possibility that the hi13 has a compliant input, but does put that into question.

@Austin No! Many on the list have been found to be dangerous. Best to read the article in the post above to understand the issues and how to interpret the list.

It’ll be interesting to see if Chris’ Samsung charger works. My money would say that it would output only 5v to the Hi13, but we might get lucky (I’ve got 5 of those chargers).

Obinna
    Participant

for the great info on chargers. Okay so it might not work, I’ll find out and test it when it arrives. I don’t think it will fry the tablet, but you

In that case I’ll let you test it out first xD I can’t afford breaking this tablet.

I'm not weird, I'm limited edition (~.~)

Austin
    Participant

Well lets hope the charger @chris got works!! I would be so happy! Please let us know if it works i will buy!

Obinna
    Participant

So, looking into this a bit more it’s pretty clear that the keyu 1440 charger supplied with the hi13 is not USB-IF PD certified and is most probably just a normal dumb 12v 2a charger with a USB-c connector instead of the typical 5mm barrel plug. That would mean one should not use it to charge any other USB-pd compliant devices. This doesn’t exclude the possibility that the hi13 has a compliant input, but does put that into question. @austin No! Many on the list have been found to be dangerous. Best to read the article in the post above to understand the issues and how to interpret the list.

It’ll be interesting to see if Chris’ Samsung charger works. My money would say that it would output only 5v to the Hi13, but we might get lucky (I’ve got 5 of those chargers).

Do you know any working ones then?

And you might be right though, Samsung chargers ‘communicate’ with the device and adapts the voltage to it’s need. But that is only with adaptive charger capable devices. And this tablet does probably not have this.

But let’s hope for the best

Austin
    Participant

Also I contacted Chuwi via facebook and email, just to see if i could purchase another charger from them! I was told if my charger was broken i could send it in for repair. I notified them that my charger was fine i was just looking to purchase another one. I was told that they do not sell them separately which i think is pretty stupid. I hate not having multiple chargers. I also wish I could find a way to charge this in my car for long trips as a passenger it would be really nice to use in the car for vacation trips!

tamir
    Participant

Oh, referring to the powerbank, this one: Amazon Claims to charge quote: ‘all’ usb C devices with a maximum of 30 Watts that are USB PD, which should be enough to charge at 12V2A as that is 24W And it is just under the safe maximum (<100Watt) for boarding planes. It is 99Watt ? So it would be perfect to travel with. Btw, why wouldn’t Chuwi use the USB PD? Tha would be really stupid of them imo…

if you’ll look at the specs is says:

Type-C Output: DC 5V/3A,9V/2A,15V/2A,20V/1.5A

im not sure it can output 12v, we need to be careful with that.

Obinna
    Participant

need to be careful with that.

Yup, I know. I sent RAVpower an email regarding this. I also added Link 2 which refers to another one that explicitly says 12V 2A

I also asked Chuwi regarding the PD

Obinna
    Participant

Good news.

Zi reviews tech just comfirmed that the chuwi hi13 is USB PD compatible so the powerbanks that I listed before WILL work if he is legit. Good news 🙂

I will order one of the power banks so I can confirm this too

He comfirmed in the comments.

Austin
    Participant
    Obinna
    Participant

It will not work. It is quickcharge 3.0 and the chuwi is not compatible.

U need to look for USB pd powerbanks with 12V

Austin
    Participant

Bummer good thing i did not order, I am just waiting until the end of the month. I sent a message to the official Chuwi Seller on AliExpress and they informed me they would have chargers available for purchase for the Chuwi Hi13 by the end of the month.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar