dual OS version announced

dual OS version announced

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube iWork10 Ultimate dual OS version announced

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Chris G
    Keymaster

Thanks. Wish I knew this before I flashed it. Okay to report back. I managed to flash mine to the dual boot bios. What I did was open it up and use my hardware USB programmer to flash it with my clip, as far as I can tell the bios is fine. Just flashing it is bricking most or some units with the software flasher. So hold off until Cube sort this out. 

I do have a dual boot start menu if I power it on with the vol+ button pushed.  Took some photos of the internals, great build quality I think for the price. The battery is a branded unit locally made, it’s held in place with screws and plastic clips. Most MFG’s just use glue or double sided tape which runs the risk of it coming loose, moving around and damaging the internal ribbon connectors.

The plastic frame inside is solid and well built, motherboard screwed in place, tape to keep things in order. The SoC, RAM and eMMC are shielded and have a metal shield/heat spreader over them. Cube used thermal pads under it for the Atom X5, RAM and eMMC. And also tiny thermal pads ones on top to transfer a small amount of heat to the metal outer shell of the tablet. There is an internal metal frame too. Overall it’s all very well done.

I’m impressed with the build, it’s as good as know Western brands hold at your local tech shop. If only the flashing process wasn’t bricking units!

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Laura
    Participant

as always, top notch documentation right there, thanks Chris! and also gj with the flashing. looking forward the review of this one

Evil E.
    Participant

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I wasn’t home earlier today to provide assistance with the BIOS file. But you seem to have recovered your bricked device beautifully by now…
    Congrats on the excellent job done, mate !!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

And thanks a lot for posting the photos of the internals, that is VERY interesting to see (and read). 😉

Chris G
    Keymaster

Ha, I got lucky. I guessed it may work using the USB programmer and what do you know it did. But I wasted a good 4 hours on this crap.

Anyway, I’ve installed The ROM which is very stock Android with 3-4 uninstallable Chinese apps. But no Play store, I expected this. The Windows 10 image is in English, Russian and Chinese. Of course, I lost activation as my embedded key went when I bricked it. But I did back up the key before I flashed 😉

I’ve got to say I’ve seen some shit tablets (Voyo A1,  Ondav820w CH etc) But this build for the price of $160 is quite something. It’s well planned out internally and the design isn’t just a bunch of parts slapped together, even small clips on the battery outer frame for wire placement.

So far thermals are good, but I need to push it more. The display when looking at it has to have one of the smallest air gaps for a nonlaminated screen.

Overall this is better than the ASUS Transformer Book T100HA I had, which cost twice as much. These are just my first impressions and things could change once I use it for a few days.

Anyone know how to get Play on this unit? Been messing with guides etc and a huge was of time, nothing works so far.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Testcik
    Participant

This thread has become an amazing resource. I’m still waiting for my Cube but I ordered it just few days ago, single os verison. As an owner of Hi8 and now only Windows on Hi10 I am eager to get it to dual boot.

Chris, could I ask you about some details? Is it easy to open the case? Where did you start? Is there a chance to make an easy battery replacement? What flasher and hinge did you use? Any site to order the correct one?

Thank you very much for your work.

Laura
    Participant

ye, i am interested too into the equipment you used for flashing the bios back

Testcik
    Participant

Have you tried the GMSInstaller.apk that many used to get GApps and Google Play Store on an early release of the USB bootable Remix OS 2.0? Maybe it would work with the Android on the Cube.

Laura
    Participant

well, theoretically it should be a piece of cake to sideload anything on an x86 tablet… just boot a linux distro from usb and place the apks in the android partition, for gapps in /system/app

Whiskey Rebellion
    Participant

So yesterday, I went ahead and placed my order with SoCube on aliexpress. I had been holding out for the stylus to emerge but I need the tablet and can’t wait much longer.

To my surprise, the seller contacted me the this morning asking if I’d mind the tablet being dual boot. After reading the hell all this upgrading has put Chris through, I was more than delighted to accept. That, and the fact I’m mentally challenged when it comes to flashing/ upgrading anything other than a mobile, I was bracing myself, for horrors that would unfold. Small blessings.  So there you go, if anyone’s interested, the iwork10 at SoCube on ali is dual boot. I paid £187 total, with keyboard and dhl shipping included.

Chris G
    Keymaster

I don’t recommend any of this unless experienced, just buy the dual os model and save yourself the hassle and heart attack.

It’s easy to open for me having opened up a good 20 tablets or so now. I started with the top using a plastic pry tool or a guitar pick would be fine. Just separate the front plastic/screen section from the metal rear. Work your way around and it will clip off, be careful not to break the clips.

The programmer software I used: https://mega.nz/#!7B4Anbza!CNW5BsyKKFKLrLg53Xx2OrhSDuZ0qwn5mVNHsgQj-eM

(Also attached)

You need to line up the chip so pin 1 is pin 1 on the eeprom bios chip. It’s marked on the chip with a small dot. And install the flasher drivers and set the software to use this setting:

Flasher settings

You need to select WINBOND W25Q64, first Erase, then Blank the bios. Now open the bios you want to flash and then program to flash it. If you get a write error it’s because the clip is not attached correctly or you have it around the wrong way.

Sorry I can’t go into more detail, it’s midnight and I’m exhausted. That and I’ve seen too many tablets in a day!

Have you tried the GMSInstaller.apk that many used to get GApps and Google Play Store on an early release of the USB bootable Remix OS 2.0? Maybe it would work with the Android on the Cube.

I’ll try tomorrow. I got sick of manually installing Play and services to have it constantly crashing all the time. I used X86 of course and not ARM but still not luck.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Laura
    Participant

awesome info, however i have to point out something for people interested in this.

that bios chip is a W25Q64FW which is a 1.8v chip, that programmer is operating at 3.3v which means by using that you risk damaging the chip. in order to safely program it, you would need a logic level converter to/from 3.3v to 1.8v

Chris G
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info, I guess I got lucky and didn’t fry it! I have some Cube iwork10 Ultimate hands on videos now up in the YT channel.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Leonardo
    Participant

awesome info, however i have to point out something for people interested in this. that bios chip is a W25Q64FW which is a 1.8v chip, that programmer is operating at 3.3v which means by using that you risk damaging the chip. in order to safely program it, you would need a logic level converter to/from 3.3v to 1.8v

Do you know any flash programmer, compatible with this bios chip, with 1.8V option ? If yes, can you provide a link ?

Laura
    Participant

awesome info, however i have to point out something for people interested in this. that bios chip is a W25Q64FW which is a 1.8v chip, that programmer is operating at 3.3v which means by using that you risk damaging the chip. in order to safely program it, you would need a logic level converter to/from 3.3v to 1.8v

Do you know any flash programmer, compatible with this bios chip, with 1.8V option ? If yes, can you provide a link ?

i’ve searched so much but the only ones that i found were really expensive (like in the 100+$ range). best solution is to use something like the one Chris has + a logic level converter, which only costs a couple bucks, but you have to wire it up yourself

Leonardo
    Participant

i’ve searched so much but the only ones that i found were really expensive (like in the 100+$ range). best solution is to use something like the one Chris has + a logic level converter, which only costs a couple bucks, but you have to wire it up yourself

That is the problem, I dont know how to make the connection with the logic level converter.

Anyway, I dont have the tablet, but I only want to have the knowledge to fix the issue if I bought this tablet or any other with 1.8V bios chip.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar