Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

This topic contains 66 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Chupa 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Chupa
    Participant

For some reason I am having often trouble posting in this forum,
    Sometimes the posts do not show up  and when I try again it tells me:

ERROR: Slow down; you move too fast.

ERROR: Duplicate reply detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!So If you see doublee it is not me it is some bug or so.

Chupa
    Participant

there are a few things that are a MUST INSTALL on every of my PC’s.

Bitmeter 2 to monitor all traffic. if somebody uploads or downloads something behind my back also to see if my connection runs on max. (3)

Also to see permanent what the CPU (1) and HDD (2) is doing (using Performance Monitor), since we have no hdd active light no more and I more than once messed something by shutting down when I had someting running and did not now it was still running.
    These monitors run permanently on top, are click through and 50% transparent, so I see them and also see the window below.
    In the sample shot you can see the maleware scanner just dated up (3) the CPU (1) is at 100% (scanner running and using all it can get) and the hdd (2) is being scanned

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Chupa
    Participant

It took me a while to tame 10, but with the help of shutup10 (a), winaero (finetuning and getting some of win 7 behavior back), throttleStop (increase performance) and disabeling things in startup (b) I have a quite fast Jumper now.
    Use Taskmanager (c) to see what program is a resource hog over a longer periode and then see if you can do something about it.
    The next is monitoring the system (e), when is the eMMC/SDD working, how much data is getting downloaded and even more important UPLOADED, how much is the processor used and how much RAM is in use.
    ThrottleStop is used to monitor the processor speed and temp via the (hidden) taks bar (f)
    And let´s not forget the first thing I do since windows 8(g): http://www.classicshell.net/
    What else to tune your system? Disable all the nice spy helpers like cortana, browser website monitoring, disable all the Google helpers what mostly collect data and use the antivirus only in manual mode when you want to check a file what you downloaded. Everything what runs in the background and is to disable will be disabled if not really necessary.
    I do not use most MS products even the ones what come with the OS, no defender because malwarebytes just works better and faster (4 times).
    Since windows 95 I disable all auto everything, mostly the system stays the way it is out of the box until the PC gets retired years later. When I install an update then only if I need the extra function, like in win 7 servicepack 1. So my 10 does no updates and no new driver downloads.
    The old and mostly forgotten wisdom: never touch a running system – is a motto what served me well since 1984. It gets validated with every angry post I read, about update problems.

With this all done,  my Jumper Ezbook 3S runns nearly as lean as my old win 7 , is able to play GTA V in 1024 full screen without stutter and reacts instantly.
    Once a while I do a litle maintenence to see what program is missbehaving. Like the other day I noticed that my windows directory became bloatet. Turns out my DriverStore directory was over 11GB large (h). For some reason Intel was always installing the same display driver, and no the old one was not overwritten. With the help of  driver store explorer I deleted all display drivers. Since the program does not delete the driver in use, I was left with only one display driver and 7GB less clutter(i).

Attachments:

Chupa
    Participant

one months later my 10 is even more like 7, most of my programs are now portable for easy handling and even the big spaced taskbar has now normal spacing what allows for much more icons to be placed there. I am working with portable waterfox what is a no call home firefox without quantum so all the add ons still work. I even got the ugly scrollbar replaced with a more pleasing aero look.
    Next week my 256GB m.2 will be replaced with a 512GB m.2 and I have an 1mm aluminum sheet waiting to be installed when next week all my thermo pads and other goodies arrive from China town.

Attachments:

Chris G
    Keymaster

Thanks for the updates, I’m testing a very lightweight Windows 10 edition someone made, cut down, all the crap removed and bloat. It is definatly not for everyone! The download is smaller and so much is removed. As a result, the system feels much quicker, my Teclast F7. But since most of the apps are gone, even anti-virus you need to find your own.

The ISO is here http://www.sasnet.eu/2017/10/windows-10-redstone-3-1709-build.html

I’m thinking of using it on my Ryzen 1700 desktop it’s so fast and lite as it really runs well on my Apollo Lake N3450 laptops.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: ONE-NETBOOK One Mix 2S & AllDoCube X
    Currently testing: Chuwi Hi9 Plus + Keyboard, Mi Mix 3

Chupa
    Participant

well the win AV is one of the worst regarding detection rate. I use malewarebytes free and only for scanning suspicious downloads after that it gets closed ( it likes to hang out hidden in the hidden icons section but is easy to close from there.

joey
    Participant

Hi,
    strange question but, what is the size of the “Jumper” logo on the front?

Thanks

Chupa
    Participant

45 x10mm, small enough to cover it with a big fruit like sticker

Chupa
    Participant

Chris the SASNET win 10 lite might be the same you can DIY via NTLite and an original win ISO.
    Just somebody in Romania did all the work and added nothing, as they say.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Yes, you can do it yourself, this one just saves me all that work and time. Plus they seemed to have been able to remove even more than I could. As I said it’s not for everyone.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Chupa
    Participant

did you do a before and after test regarding processes, ram etc to see a difference?

If not I will document here.
    Can you simple install over a normal windows 10 and keep your settings drivers and programs?

Attachments:

Chupa
    Participant

OK Kingspec 512GB came, sadly other seller did not ship the usb3 to m.2 adapter, but I ordered also a m.2 to SATA adapter and I have enough USB3 SATA enclosures, so I put the 512GB into the SATA adapter and the SATA adapter into the USB 3 enclosure.

Used minitool partition Wizard free to clone the 256GB onto the 512GB and now I have 270GB free and not below 40GB.
    Cloning took less than one hour including swapping everything. The 512GB booted without any bios visitations.

My USB3 to SATA to M.2 combination maxed out at 130 RW and not a over 500 RW, maybe that is the max what the USB 3 port can provide, will check when USB3 to m.2 adapter arrives.

How does the Kingspec 512GB compare to the fast Foresee 256GB what is build in my Jumper 3S?

Nearly identical and that tested with a half full drive what normally is a bit slower than a near empty drive.
    524 / 520 to 556 / 507

what I noticed is that the Kingspec 512GB has much less parts on it than pictured on the Kingspec website. You just see the upper part of the card on my photo, but there is nothing below, so 2 big chips and a lot of little things and that´s it. I decided against getting a short 2240 512GB because I read that Chris has some speed problems with the shorter Kingspec 512GB, so I hoped that more space to mount things results in hopefully more speed and I was right in that assumption.

Attachments:

Chupa
    Participant

If you install SASNET win 10 lite the following thing will happen:
    It is like a new installation, you loose everything. You need to install all your programs new, you need to install all your drivers, you need to tweak all your settings.

Your old windows, program files and user data is all saved under windows.old and accessible.

So is it faster and leaner?

Well after the initial installation it looked very good, after the programs and drivers were installed it looked still better. – Please keep in mind that I already had a highly optimized system with lots of MS things disabled or uninstalled.

See for yourself

and  I just discovered an error in the win proc picture, disregard it and check out the win proc corrected instead, you see from the size of the slider that there are less in the mini version.

Attachments:

Jonathan
    Participant

I am thinking of installing any of these 2 versions over the regular Windows 1o PRO of my daughter’s Asus EeePC with just 1 GB of RAM. It had a Genuine Windows 7 PRO license and I made a mistake of updating to Windows 10 via the free Digital Upgrade. Now it takes 6 to 10 minutes to boot and applications really crawls very, very slowly. Will these Two Lite  Versions improve the speeds? It can be upgraded to maximum of 2 GB but only 1 stick of DDR2 667MHz can fit in only so I am having a hard time finding that plus I find the prices is very prohibitive online. Another option it to put Linux in it but my daughter is only 10 and she does not now Windows yet that well. I bought her a new EZbook Pro L 14 inch, but that laptop is a bit fast that’s why it ended up being my daily driver 🙂 Any suggestion is welcome.

Chris G
    Keymaster

@chupa Great you tested it out, it runs faster and uses way less RAM, but like I said it’s not for everyone. I can be a pain and will take some time to set up.

@han70 Hi, It will run faster on the EeePC as it uses less RAM, but 1GB is not going to be enough I feel. It will run but 2GB will be better. And the otehr issue is it’s missing a lot of apps so give yourself some time to set it up.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password