Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    matsetech
    Participant

where did you plugged / connected the 5v fan? im planning this on my surbook..

Chupa
    Participant

you find the link to the project on page 4, but here is the direct teleport

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

matsetech
    Participant

yep.. i might glue a heatsink with fan over the copper plate. and test.. hope it will reduce the temp.. then i will.. maybe cut through the aluminum cover..

Chupa
    Participant

Just a good week ago I posed that my battery is loosing the capacity faster than normal (1% a months)
    “My battery lost in a months another 3% and is now down to 12.8% wear.”
    2 days after I posted this I saw a warning flashing over my screen you battery is below 14% and need to shut down or so.
    Huh?
    After the night recharging batterybar was showing 18% wear for the next couple loading cycles.
    Bugger!
    I set my discharge max from 7 to 4%, this is as low as win 10 lets me do with this Jumper.
    Then I did some light work and watched the batterybar going down below 5% and going into auto hybernation.

I recharged fully, removed the plug for an hour and plugged back in.
    After 3 fully recharge and double charge cycles my battery showed 10.2% wear for the next 8 cycles.
    Now I am up to 11.8 and holding since a while.

My thermal spacer board works very well, no more hot leg syndrome and the temps in Spain dropped 10ºC anyhow. So inside is now 21 again and I removed my spacer contraption (see posts before). After 5 minutes it got back installed (easy since it is via strong velcro pads). It is just nicer to work this way for me and the Jumper. For the Jumper because he stays cooler and for me because the cork bottom secures the laptop very on my lap, better than a slippery paint surface and the angle towards me makes the keyboard work better and more visible. If you work in a reclining seat and you are really reclining, because you have a foot rest then you work sometime in an angle where the keyboard is barely visible.

Funny thing, when they designed the shuttle seats for the star ship Orville, they put exactly my modern recliner in.

Today I as bored, everything worked well. So I started to fiddle wit my fingernails between the bezel and the screen lid until something popped.
    2 min later the bezel was removed and the screen nearly fell into my lap.
    These lousy workers secured the screen just with one screw instead of 4.
    Lucky me one of my 4 front bottom plate screws (short) had the right size.
    now the screen is held in place a bit better and since the missing screw should also have held the “screen close light off” magnet in place, I could fix this too. The magnet was held in place by dried up double sided sticky tape. Ahh – the joy of designed failures.

I never liked the black bezel so since I had her off I wanted to give her a copper tone.
    Well lots of different colors but all the nice metal ones were gone. But I had a red metallic I used once for a little 500cc scooter to repaint left, so just for fun red metallic is now the new black.

I also discovered that the way the screen data cable was placed it led to insulation abrasion what wold lay the cables blank on a metal surface.
    Good workmanship Chinese worker.
    Well I fixed that too.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Chupa
    Participant

while the red was better than black, after some rummaging I fond copper and silver spray
    Also since the 3s has a 7mm slim bezel top, left and right but a monster lower bezel part I wanted to change that bottom heavy look.

If you look close you will notice that the camera lens is also sprayed over.
    Now why would I do that?

I never use a camera with the computer, so I disabled the camera in the device manager and thought that’s it.
    Then some simple windows 10 app re-enabled the camera without asking my permission.
    OK enough with the spying – try to see me now.

Oh by the way, the whole backside of the display is illuminated. If I wanted, I laser cut a mudflap girl or something else funny into the back of my lid and blast away every fruit in comparison.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

my 800th post here, and I would like to update the front page but Chris limited the editing period to 6 months.

Jumper EZBook 3S is now exactly 1 year with me and works every day around 8 hours, sans roundly a months while I was working with other computers.
    Battery jumps between 11 to 14% usage with a  spike to 18% a few weeks ago. Today it shows 11.8% wear just to get to the 1% per months capacity loss.
    It lasts good 4 hours with mostly full brightness and medium power usage what is around 8 Watt over all (4 Watt +/- for the processor and the rest for the screen, the 512GB SSD  and the ports.
    The some keys on the keyboard, like the often used arrow keys needs a bit harder touch to register and sometimes some other keys do too.
    The trackpad still like to play games once a while, but mostly behaves. The old pads with the separate click buttons were superior (thanks apple, also for the stupid idea to put the on/off switch where the delete button sits).

Outside on the soft plastic shell there are some light scratches and some minor paint wear at the corners.

In the beginning I messed up the China installed 1607 version where the equalizer worked well to amplify the sound to a loud level.
    For some forgotten reason I redid the SSD to 1703 and blocked all updates there after. They are still blocked and except when I install a new program I run occasionally into slight trouble what always could be fixed to go back to a restore point.

If your have been reading my posts about what I did and tested with the n3450 you have seen it can do quite well if properly configured and cooled.
    I think it stood up so far OK to all the abuse I did to it and for the price it is an OK buy, you can do a lot worse as we all seen with the horrible EZBook 3 pro. Over 90% of my 800 posts are to try to help some poor schmock who had problems with his pro just because it was changed again and again and again – and every time one thing got fixed and another problem showed up.

From doing over 2 years over 400 transactions with the ali crap presss and  gear mediocre here is my conclusion.
    From over 400 orders there were over 80 complaints, because of quality, missing or defect on arrival.
    In 95% of the cases we came to a satisfactory conclusion after sometimes just a few words and sometimes more then 10 communications with lots of video and picture evidence. The record broke ali with 6 months for 10 Euro for a few defect on arrival led.
    The rate of defect with in a short time, mostly led lamps, was by around 20%
    The rate of not the specifications as described was at over 50% – my Jumper was shown to has a IPS but it came with a TN panel.
    So the first thing I do after opening the parcel is to check if all is as it was ordered  and described. Then I do a at least 24 hour burn in test followed by a week long testing period.
    Never believe in ratings and stars. 95% are just because the product arrived. Always look for the one to three star ratings, there you see the problems you might encounter. Then look for user reviews and forums. Always google the product with problem in the search string.
    If you give a rating, wait until the last days, so you know if it lasts at least a few weeks.

Onward to another year with my Jumper EZBook 3S.

…on a side note, it looked to me the year 2018 was the year on non innovations, no awesome new computers, just mediocre increase in some features and speed. AMD where I really was hoping for something good in the fanless area was the biggest letdown and if you read some insider info about the problem Intel having with going below the 14um size and their solutions it reads like the model 3 story from Elon Musk.

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

worked a bit more on the look of my 3s
    like how the black stripe above the keys, blends in with the black of the lower bezel as one while the upper bezel has now all around the 7mm frame.
    The only thing I will change now is the copper frame to silver like the case.

One of these days when I find a laser cutter place who do engraving I will take the Jumpers top lid off and have a nice picture outline cut out since I have the full 14″ as a back lit playground.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

My Jumper 3s is now 15 Months old, so how is it holding up?

The other months the keyboard arrow down key was giving me some non response times. Blowing under the key and hard pressing and jiggling the key did not help but after a few days it fixed itself.
    My battery needs all 2 weeks a slow complete discharge cycle to go from suddenly jumping to 18% capacity loss back to 12-13% capacity loss.
    So far this refresher procedure works since 4 months and my battery is still around 13% capacity loss. At 20% left, the Jumper sits idle with low brightness and around 4 Watt drain until it goes in hibernation around 3 to 5% battery.
    I am still not bothered by any updates since all are still blocked and the Jumper is still on 1703 Creators Update.
    I figured out a way to increase overall visibility in direct sunlight. Brightness and Saturation are set from 0 to 30. This does not increase the white brightness but the color brightness so pictures and colors are better visible in an bright environment.
    After over one Year usage my 512GB KingSpec SSD is still as fast as in the beginning with read and write over 500.

So far I have not seen anything worth my money to replace it with, the 4000 and 5000 Series makes not enough difference in real world usage speed to me.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

All good things must come to an end.
    I really liked the Jumper 3s, what I did not liked was the absence of a fan in warmer surroundings.
    So while the Jumper will be on backup duty I got my self 2 other ultrabooks from Cashconverters.

• for 228 Euro an Asus Zenbook 13.3″ I5 UX31E with 4/256 and a super silent but effective fan and after 7 years of use 40% battery left, this will be my windows 7 ultrabook also with 500 nit it has no problem in direct sunlight at all.
    • for 404 Euro a Lenovo Yoga 710 14″ full laminated 400 nit touchscreen with I5 and Nvidia 940mx with extra 2 GB, backlit keyboard and a modded fan control what makes the fan spin how high I want when I want it. Needless to say in normal use it is silent and cool, it is also already undervolted and can run for unlimited time in full turbo mode on all processors. The configuration should have been 8/256 but to my surprise it has a 1TB WD green ssd and still 4 months original warranty. It came with the the chaotic 1803 what got really screwed up after 4 days and is now running smoothly with a 1607  what will stay that way for it`s service life. The battery came with 70% left and got very easy reconditioned to over 92%. Right now my run time in full brightness is good 7 hours.

Both ultrabooks came free of charge in a couple days with 14 day free return shipping and full money back if not like for any reason and 2 years normal warranty. Beat that China or try to come even close!
    Both have an awesome sound system one from Harman Kardon the other from JBL

Needless to say support and support forums as drivers are not a problem.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

When I told you that the Asus Zenbook UX31E had only 40% left after 7 years running I was not fully correct.
    The BatteryBar showed a 20% reduction in capacity but shortly after reaching the 60% charge mark the Asus turned itself off completely without going into hibernate.

Imagine my surprise when I installed Windows 7 and did the same rundown test there too. I made baterybar screenshots at 60% 55% 40% 30% 20% REALLY??? what is goin on ??? 15% 10% and as set in the battery settings, first warnig at 12 %, second warning at 7% and at 5% the Asus went into hibernation.

WOW
    It must be a faulty code in the Windows 1803 version
    So I installed a dual boot, Windows 7.1 and Windows 1607
    Did some testing and under window 7 the normal behavior, charging up to 100% and lasting until 5% when forced into hibernation.
    Under Windows 1607 the same behavior as in 1803 after passing the 60% something decides to “pull the plug on the battery” without saving anything first. Setting first warning at 65%, second warning at 62% and forced hibernation at 60% works and gives less than 2 hours of battery working life.
    In windows 7 the Asus can last over 4 hours even on full 500 nit brightness what alone is around 5 watt battery usage and the battery just lost 20% of it´s capacity in 7 years.

After reading about so many cheap windows 10 ultrabooks with battery trouble I wonder if there is a correlation?

Comparing the power usage from the Jumper N3450, the Asus I5 (second generation) and the Lenovo I5 (7th generation) I noticed that the Lenovo uses the least amount of power and is keeping the coolest. Just writing this right now in a 20 degree C environment with the Lenovo turned on for over half an hour and no fan running the processor is at 37 C

Pictuures:
    Lenovo reconditioning the battery from 70% capacity back to over 93% constant
    power settings and temp (lower right corner info icon from the fan control cpu temp monitor
    inside my  Lenovo with the gratis 1TB upgrade (this SSD alone cost 250 Euro at Amazon.)

Attachments:

Need Help?

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password