Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

This topic contains 69 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Chupa 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • Author

Giovanni
    Participant

Yesterday was the day Intel went on my do never buy from list. I have my Jumper now 5 months, and since this time I try go get windows 7 or at least 8.1 working with it. I never invested so much time into a PC project, tried so many different things and went so deep down the rabbit hole. To make 5 months research short here is the answer in 3 pictures. 1. Windows refuses to install the basic VGA driver what you need to trick another driver to install. Yes, yes yes I know an tried all other alternatives, remember, I am with MS since before even there was windows I build Pc´s piece by piece, epromed bios, installed countless OS. So except for Me and Vista I did them all. And I did it for a lot of people, I even had my own brand. To make you get video working, they use in 8.1 a fragment of the intel display audio what works in the resolutions but no brightness control and no speed at all. And what ever you try you can not get around to install the proper driver. 2. Intel lets you select even the right driver for the N3450 for win 7.1 x64 and 8.1 x64 and then you can download it as an exe or zip (you need the zip to do modifications) during install they tell you your hardware is not powerful enough or so. Whoever at M$ /Intel came up with that was either pure evil or a total moron – maybe a combination out of the 2. 3. and here they screw you Gen 6 is supported Gen 7 only win 10. N3450 is Gen 6 and a Celeron and it is supported. keep on reading and they tell you the Celeron processor formerly known as Apollo Lake (N3450 N3350) is ONLY win10 And Yes you came from the Intel N3450 download page and could select 8.1 and you can download the driver. Dear Intel after over 30 years with mostly Intel processors in my computers, you sold me the last.

Sorry but the N3450 download page in your screenshot doesn’t look right to me.
    See attachment.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

EZbook 3 Pro BIOS modder - find my work here
    If you want to tag me, my username is thegiolly

Chupa
    Participant

Giovanni, there is no need to quote a post what what just before your reply post – it just looks ugly (in my eyes and clutters a forum) – but I think you wanted to click on reply.

Here is the answer to your confusion:
    If you compare our screenshots, what do you notice?
    -you just have 3 choices AND
    -you did not choose an Operating System

why would they make 2 choice boxes when all the links would be on the main page?

So choose win 7 or 8 and you shall see.

… and Giovanni, I had no idea

please dismiss the 2 mugs above the picture below is the right one

Attachments:

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Giovanni
    Participant

If I choose Windows 7 64bit I get this driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27360/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?v=t

EZbook 3 Pro BIOS modder - find my work here
    If you want to tag me, my username is thegiolly

Chupa
    Participant

Yes, now try to install it…
    and if you look below for the HD500 you see it is missing.

<section class=”products blade”><header>
    <h2>This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.</h2>
    </header>

</section>

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Chupa
    Participant

one has 2×2, the other 2×3+1 and one has 2×3+3
    Not so easy to solve?
    The Atom x5- 8350 (TBAO 15.6″) has 2 power and 2 ground cables from the battery to the mainboard
    The  Jumper 3 pro has 3 power and 3 ground cables plus 1 data cable from the battery to the mainboard
    The  Jumper 3S has 3 power and 3 ground cables plus 3 data cables from the battery to the mainboard

Maybe that is the reason you do not hear of Jumper 3S battery failures?
    Just something I noticed comparing.

Also compare the build quality in T-BAO TBOOK R8 early model  and the later flash sale for 128 Euro from GearBest

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

Here is a list what games the N3450 can play and how

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

My Jumper 3s is now 6 months old.
    Battery wear shows 5.8%, so that is steady but slowly climbing.
    6% in 6 months is quite good, but then it is a 14″ 3S with a 50.000 mWh battery.
    The case shows signs of wear since it is just painted on a white shell.
    There is already one slight rub off point at the lower right corner, but I had this effect on 2 silver DELL and another silver laptop over the years.
    So so far this is “standard” for heavy use.
    For some reason the screen rubber bumpers are micro size so that the screen touches the keyboard space bar and palm rest area when closed.
    It leaves smudges on the screen what are visible under a certain angle, but can be wiped off. Just need to stick a couple black soft bumpers around the screen to solve this.

I measured the screen brightness via a galaxy s5 and some software.
    The max brightness is 300 lux what is perfect visible in a bright environment compared to a matte IPS and a matte TN screen, which both showed 180 lux max.
    In a bright environment this reflective TN screen works better than the both matte screens.
    So I made my peace with the Jumper screen.
    Once a while my wifi is just turning off but is always fixed by a reboot except one time when I needed a rollback to a restore point.
    I do not think it is even the wifi card I think windows is just having fun with me. I will figure it out when it bugs me too much.
    I am still on 1703 and will stay there, all my effort to hinder windows from calling home and messing with my poor home edition payed off.
    Fore some reason something changed and I no longer have the audio equalizer boost function.
    My 2 oldest programs I am working with are from last millennium: ACDSEE 3.1 ( still the fastest image viewer around since over 20 years)
    and Micrografx Picture Publisher 10 – I never bothered with Photoshop.
    And the other day one of my front micro case screws decided to wander off.
    I am not a big fan how the keyboard looks with the stickers, from some angle it looks OK from other angles it looks crappy (dirty).

Now since summer has come to Valencia the Jumper sits often on bare knees and you sure feel when the processor is above 55ºC.
    Turning to Power saver in the power options helps a lot but also the performance suffers.
    Will have to work on the cooling system to keep the bottom plate cool.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

After 5 months I finally finished my thermal mod.
    I replaced the thermal pad with a 0.5 mm copper shimmy
    I replaced the tin plate with an 0.5 mm pure aluminum plate
    I replaced the thermal paste between the original copper plate and the tin plate with a 0.1mm double sided sticky thermal tape
    and I put a 1 mm silicone thermal pad on top to create a pressure point directly over the processor for optimal thermal heat transfer.
    I also removed the part of the blue insulating plastic touching the battery to optimize the heat transfer from battery to aluminum plate.

The I run prime 95 with max heat and max power setting for a while and watched the temperatures.
    Compare with the test from 5 months ago we have a 7ºC higher room temperature, since it is summer now.
    The room temperature was above 26ºC /79F
    So when you compare with the first “quick and dirty” thermal mod count in the 7ºC increase.
    It looks like I lowered it another 10ºC  with this mod.

I also re-encoded a movie in full HD 5.1 sound 10 bit h265  via the intel QSV codec.
    This codec uses CPU and GPU together at maximum performance.
    With sustained 25pfs encoding speed I got a bit throttled down after the package power reached 15 Watt and the Jumper was drawing close to 18 Watt from the battery. The throttling was not because of the heat but I reached the absolute max what the processor can give.
    The throttle was from 2.1 to 1.9 GHz 4 cores at 100% usage and it never dropped below 14 Watt.
    The overheating throttle sets in when the temp goes over 80ºC, what was not reached in any test.

Please somebody beat that with a 6W TDP Apollo Lake and show me.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

My Jumper 3S is now 8 months old, has lost 7% of it’s battery capacity, but the last month I left it mostly on the charger since it sits now on a laptop cooling pad and I am sitting right next to an outlet.
    I am working to totally redo the internal cooling from a passive to a switchable active with a 6mm thick fan inside and I will completely remove the cooling plates and replace with only a 2 mm thick ssd m.2 pure copper cooler.
    The fan will get a manual and also an automatic 50ºC switch.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

My Jumper 3S is now 9 months old, has lost 9.8% of it’s battery capacity, I noticed that the Battery Bar shows info for a 50Wh battery but my original battery shows a 36.5 Wh at 7.6V
    That translates to a 41.76 Wh fully charged battery (4800 mAh x 8.7 V).
    Battery Bar shows now 45Wh capacity left.
    I am a bit confused.

Also I installed a fan into the fanless Jumper 3s and I redid the passive cooling for the umphts time

fan mod for a fanless ultrabook

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

watch youtube with the least resources, heat and longest battry run time

I already posted a comparison between edge, chrome, firefox and waterfox regarding using resources and generating heat while playing youtube 720p
    edge won but is horrible because you can not block the adds and other crap.
    Here are my newest findings on how to keep your computer cool and last longer while watching youtube.
    USE the VLC player
    CTRL N opens the network stream
    just paste the full YT url and close the browser

why? see below
    test done with jumper 3s

Attachments:

Need Help?

euplio
    Participant

I found best result with Chrome beta comparing to Edge and btw you can block ads with Edge 😉

Chupa
    Participant

My Jumper 3S is now 10 months old and so far holds at 9.8% lost battery capacity from last months.

After doing all the work to install 2 different fans etc.
    installed 5mm spacers between all bottom lid screws to try a different kind of ventilation system
    and made a Swiss cheese first with over 100 3mm holes to get the ventilation going
    than with 20 to 30mm holes
    here are my findings:
    The darn fan mode does not work as expected.
    I have a hot air exhaust out of 7 – 3mm holes what is strong enough to bow out a flame.
    So cool air gets sucked from the bottom blows only over the copper cooler and picks up enough heat to make the exhaust air over 10ºC warmer than the surrounding air.
    But the processor temperature does not sink even 1 degree.
    The bottom gets cooler, the air gets warmer but the processor stays the same.
    This makes no sense  for me.

So I ripped everything out again, got myself a 1mm thick slim slotted aluminum sheet to cover all the holes, gotta keep the bugs out and my fingers from accidently touching some parts of the exposed motherboard.
    Then I cut off a breakfast plate what has a cork bottom, used some velcro stickers for easy connection and disconnection. They have tha same position as on the cooling pad with the big fan.
    The first test was good but still not optimal, so I disconnected the back velcro pads and did a foam extension, also with velcro stickers.
    I have now a 3mm front gap and good 10mm rear air gap.
    It can stay on the bed and the bottom is still very well ventilated, also the connection is so sturdy that I need a knife between the pads to separate the velcro.

With all the modification I added good 200 gram to the Jumper but it is now no problem to have it in a 30ºC environment on my uncovered knees.
    While tinkering around I discovered that the screen backlit what sits at the bottom of the screen lid can get quite warm and if the Jumper front sits on the stomach the warm bottom lit touches the knees and creates discomfort.
    This is why I mounted the plate standing over in the back. No matter how crazy the angle is, nothing warm of the Jumper is touching me.
    So my Jumper is now ready for 3 climate scenarios.

Cool 18-22ºC – no bottom plate, the rubber feat extend the soft part of the velcro stickers
    Warm 24-28ºC  – bottom plate
    Ay Caliente over 30ºC – cooling plate with switchable big fan

h1 the 5mm spacer and the longer screws needed to connect top and bottom
    h2  I went medival  on my Jumpers bottom
    h3 1 copper shimmy between the processor and the copper plate, 4 shimmies between the copper and the aluminum plate and 4 shimmies on top of the aluminum plate for pressure from the bottom plate – all 0.5mm and with thermo paste
    h4 the bottom with 3 velcro stickers in place, one needs repositioning
    h5 thermo bottom plate mounted side view, you see where the old fan switch was and what I did to the case to get the sd card in and out without using my fingernails
    h6 Jumper front view
    h7 10mm extension bumper for the rear
    h8 bottom view
    h9a Jumper with bottom plate
    h9b Jumper with cooling plate

Attachments:

Need Help?

euplio
    Participant

My Jumper 3S is now 10 months old and so far holds at 9.8% lost battery capacity from last months. After doing all the work to install 2 different fans etc. installed 5mm spacers between all bottom lid screws to try a different kind of ventilation system and made a Swiss cheese first with over 100 3mm holes to get the ventilation going than with 20 to 30mm holes here are my findings: The darn fan mode does not work as expected. I have a hot air exhaust out of 7 – 3mm holes what is strong enough to bow out a flame. So cool air gets sucked from the bottom blows only over the copper cooler and picks up enough heat to make the exhaust air over 10ºC warmer than the surrounding air. But the processor temperature does not sink even 1 degree. The bottom gets cooler, the air gets warmer but the processor stays the same. This makes no sense for me. So I ripped everything out again, got myself a 1mm thick slim slotted aluminum sheet to cover all the holes, gotta keep the bugs out and my fingers from accidently touching some parts of the exposed motherboard. Then I cut off a breakfast plate what has a cork bottom, used some velcro stickers for easy connection and disconnection. They have tha same position as on the cooling pad with the big fan. The first test was good but still not optimal, so I disconnected the back velcro pads and did a foam extension, also with velcro stickers. I have now a 3mm front gap and good 10mm rear air gap. It can stay on the bed and the bottom is still very well ventilated, also the connection is so sturdy that I need a knife between the pads to separate the velcro. With all the modification I added good 200 gram to the Jumper but it is now no problem to have it in a 30ºC environment on my uncovered knees. While tinkering around I discovered that the screen backlit what sits at the bottom of the screen lid can get quite warm and if the Jumper front sits on the stomach the warm bottom lit touches the knees and creates discomfort. This is why I mounted the plate standing over in the back. No matter how crazy the angle is, nothing warm of the Jumper is touching me. So my Jumper is now ready for 3 climate scenarios. Cool 18-22ºC – no bottom plate, the rubber feat extend the soft part of the velcro stickers Warm 24-28ºC – bottom plate Ay Caliente over 30ºC – cooling plate with switchable big fan h1 the 5mm spacer and the longer screws needed to connect top and bottom h2 I went medival on my Jumpers bottom h3 1 copper shimmy between the processor and the copper plate, 4 shimmies between the copper and the aluminum plate and 4 shimmies on top of the aluminum plate for pressure from the bottom plate – all 0.5mm and with thermo paste h4 the bottom with 3 velcro stickers in place, one needs repositioning h5 thermo bottom plate mounted side view, you see where the old fan switch was and what I did to the case to get the sd card in and out without using my fingernails h6 Jumper front view h7 10mm extension bumper for the rear h8 bottom view h9a Jumper with bottom plate h9b Jumper with cooling plate

You are crazy! I like your style to do things. I bought a Lenovo i5-7200u so I decided to replace the 3pro instead I liked to make some new mod regarding thermal.

Chupa
    Participant

Hello, my name is Jumper EZBook 3s and I am Chinese ultrabook.
    I left my country 11 months ago for a strange country called SPAIN.
    Since I arrived there I have been constantly probed, poked, had factory values altered many times, had my turbo limit from 30 seconds altered to infinity.
    I have lost count how often my bottom placed was removed for modifications.
    The easiest modification was to switch my factory installed 265GB to a 512GB SD. What went without any problem including a full copy.
    Then the thermo modification horror began, with a big 0.5mm aluminum plate connected with  ton of heat transfer paste on top of my copper cooling plate.
    This worked out quite well, I even could play GTA V with out stutter.
    But I should be a race horse my owner decided, so around 15 different modifications were tried out on poor me.
    One of the wildest were that a glass mirror was installed on top of my copper cooling plate to keep the heat from reaching the bottom plate while the fan was blowing – it did not work. I had 2 different fans installed and a bunch of cooling slits and fan intake holes cut into my bottom and rear. You see the Swiss cheese mutilation in pictures above and can read some of my modification horror stories what was done to me.
    But I was a good sport, even when a full case size aluminum plate was so strong bonded with thermal clue stickers that nothing could be accessed and the full size plate was cut with a rotary tool while my battery was still connected AND  it was cut just 0.5mm above the battery cables AND I was full of fine micro aluminum metal dust, I was still working with out complaint after wards.
    Things have settled down so much, that after the last modification (see above) my owner if finally happy with his angular breakfast plate installation. He is happy because no more heat can reach his precious legs and I am happy because I mostly stay in a slightly slanted angle what lifts the back nearly 10 mm and even when I am placed on the bed I can keep properly cool.

My battery lost in a months another 3% and is now down to 12.8% wear.
    I still work around 8+ hours a day and some of my keys on the keyboard show a little aging in having to be pressed a bit harder or having to be smashed to destroy the little crumbs what find there way inside. My case shows wear on the paint but not much worse than the 2 silver painted dell what where used years ago.

So over all I hold up pretty well for a cheap Chinese ultrabook after 11 months of abuse and use.
    See you next months when I celebrate my 1 year birthday.

3s

Need Help?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password