[FIXED] Help! My tablet is not booting anymore

[FIXED] Help! My tablet is not booting anymore

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Vi10 Discussion [FIXED] Help! My tablet is not booting anymore

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan
    Participant

Thanks for the responses guys.

Ok, so, I can write UEFI variables from TWRP using the inbuilt dd command 🙂 If you had a working touchscreen and the same BIOS as me you’d have a fix now, however, because you don’t I have a few more hoops to jump through. Just bear with me a little longer…

Out of interest: I don’t suppose anyone knows what would happen if I flashed the old BIOS onto my tablet? If I had access to a working tablet running that version it would help…

ImADev
    Participant

Out of interest: I don’t suppose anyone knows what would happen if I flashed the old BIOS onto my tablet? If I had access to a working tablet running that version it would help…

A few people have flashed the old BIOS onto new hardware and it did cause issues, but nothing that can’t be fixed. I even gave people a simple way to recover the BIOS from within Windows a week ago.

Jonathan
    Participant

Thanks, that just leaves how to get a command to run at startup which I thought was just a case of adding exec command args to init.rc but apparently not..

[EDIT] It appears that exec isn’t implemented, it’s possible to use a service instead though. In hindsight I should have been suspicious about exec since it was actually well documented which for Android is odd 🙂

Jonathan
    Participant

[EDIT] This package is now redundant since I’ve figured out how to incorporate my own command that can apply a more refined/safer fix for two different BIOS revisions. I will post this in the main forum with source in the not too distant future.

OK, I think I’ve cracked it…

Firstly some disclaimers:

1. This is very much a last resort of the desperate.
    2. There is significant risk involved with using this.
    3. If you are not the original poster then you should not run this without consulting me first.
    4. I accept no responsibility if this does bad things to you or your tablet.
    5. The owner of this site is not responsible for anything bad that happens while using this.
    6. Some of the files packaged were originally provided by others including: ImADev and NesquiX.

Here’s the package, you don’t need to reinstall the tools/drivers I just packaged them for completeness.

Password: THIS_COULD_KILL_YOUR_TABLET

Please delete the previous package and any files you extracted, I don’t want them booted by mistake.

The idea is you boot your tablet via USB as before, leave it a minute or so once you get past the splash screen and then power off.

Cross your fingers and power on…

If it bricks your tablet then you’ll have to open and reprogram, but that’s the alternative to this anyway.

Once done please remove all files and the package, you don’t want this lying around for the unsuspecting…

Arévalo Frutos
    Participant

@Jonathan thanks you for your work (you too @ImADev)! After reading your post I scared with what you’ve written, but if I have no other option I think I’ll try it.

Arévalo Frutos
    Participant

@Jonathan one question, your TWRP what changes? Does it reset the bios options or reinstalls the bios?

Jonathan
    Participant

Just the BIOS settings.

I have run it several times on my Vi10 without problems, the dire warnings are mainly because I’m concerned about people with different tablets/issues stumbling upon this and trying it just in case it helps them.

Arévalo Frutos
    Participant

IT WORKED!!! Thank you so much!!! you rescued me! Thanks!!!! You are a genius!!! @Jonathan

Jonathan
    Participant

@Arévalo, you are very welcome, I’m really happy it worked out for you.

Now, in the future: Just one BIOS setting change between reboots OK? 🙂

Thanks for letting me know it worked and also providing the interesting issue for me to fix 🙂

Arévalo Frutos
    Participant

Now, in the future: Just one BIOS setting change between reboots OK

Yes! I won’t touch the bios without know what I’m changing. Thanks again 😀

ImADev
    Participant

I’ve got to say that I’m surprised and impressed. I didn’t expect you (@jonathan) to create actual files to fix the tablet, plus you managed to work the files into my recovery image. I never would of thought anyone would do that.

Maybe you could release the source to the files? I think it could help not just other Chuwi Vi10 owners, but anyone else who owns an Intel tablet that supports both Android and Windows.

I see that you adjusted the vendor ID by the way. Did that fix ADB for you?

Jonathan
    Participant

@ImADev, thanks for the kind words.

My original plan was to create a console program to check that the tablet that it was running on was known to me before setting the variable. That plan didn’t survive first contact. I couldn’t get it to run from the terminal.

In the end I just used dd to dump the variable to my SD card then I stuck that file into the recovery image and modified init.rc to use dd to write it back. Of course that means no safety checking, once you boot it resets the settings without warning or checks. The only protection is that it’s unlikely that a company would use different formats for the same variable under the same GUID. Still I don’t like that, so if (and only if) there are no objections I’ll be taking the package down in the next day or so but I will post the init.rc file and the default binary files the two BIOS versions I’ve tried. Personally I think the hazzards of having this openly available outway the benefits.

The VID change was just because the modifications I was making to init.rc seemed to do nothing, it was just a convenient way to test if the file was being processed.

I do have plans to create utilities that would be useful for anyone with InsydeH20 BIOS and maybe others too.

Oh and by the way, your recovery made it possible to create this fix 😉

JAkub G.
    Participant

Hi,

Can You upload a modded TWRP which should be able to reenable the USB ports on a Chuwi Hi8?

I change in BIOS option from USB 3.0 to 2.0 and nothing hardware on USB doesn’t work. I haven’t got any idea how I can reset BIOS.

My bios is: H1D_S806_207 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/mshtvlwgx0xb968/Hi8%20Dualboot%20BIOS%20-207.rar?dl=0).

Android works well on me, but Windows dissapper and i can’t open Windows.

How can I reset bios? Maybe modded TWRP is good for this situation?

Jonathan
    Participant

Jakub G.

Is Android rooted?

Can you please post the serial number?

JAkub G.
    Participant

Yes, android is rooted.

Info from tablet:

CW-Hi8-super

Serial number: Baytrail47563856

IFWI version: H1D_S806_207

Core version: 3.10.20 softteam@pdd-build #1

Compilation number: anzhen4_mrd7_w-userdebud 4.4.4 KTU84P eng.softteam.20151029.165637 dev-keys

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar