[FIXED] Help! My tablet is not booting anymore

[FIXED] Help! My tablet is not booting anymore

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Vi10 Discussion [FIXED] Help! My tablet is not booting anymore

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan
    Participant

OK, can you please get from the Play store:
    ES File Explorer File Manager
    Terminal Emulator for Android

In ES File Explorer: Enable Root Explorer (it’s under Tools)
    Go to Local, “/ Device”, data and select “+ New” Folder and name it setup

JAkub G.
    Participant

Ok. Done, what’s next?

Jonathan
    Participant

Removed file for safety reasons.
    Place this file into /data/setup using ES File Explorer
    Long press and select More->Properties and make sure the permissions are “rwx rwx rwx”.

Start Terminal Emulator, type the following (followed by enter):

1. su
    2. cd /data/setup
    3. ./d

You should get the following files generated: /data/setup/acpi_var.bin and /data/setup/uefi_var.bin please get these back to me.
    Alternatively if you get an error please let me know.

JAkub G.
    Participant

This is my setup folder with acpi_var.bin and uefi_var.bin.

Jonathan
    Participant

Jakub G.,

Thanks for the files, please now delete them.

I’ll see if I’ve snagged what I need to fix your tablet or if we need to try something else and get back to you soon.

Jonathan
    Participant

Jakub G., OK this looks promising. Can I ask did you “Save Custom Defaults” in BIOS setup at some point before screwing up the settings?

JAkub G.
    Participant

Thanks for help. No, i didn’t “Save Custom Defaults”, only i exit with save – standard option in bios.

Jonathan
    Participant

You’re welcome 🙂

An explanation: To fix your tablet I need to get a copy of the “good” settings so that I can restore them. In the files you provided there was a “Custom” variable with settings that differ from the current “Setup”. If I modify my Vi10 utility to restore the custom settings then you should be back in business. However, I don’t own an Hi8 and I can’t test that the settings are good. There is a risk that the utility could brick your tablet, in which case you’d need to open it and reprogram the flash chip directly.
    I asked for help on the Hi8 forum to try and get a known good setup variable, to date there is no reply. We could wait a while and see if someone responds (at which point I could verify that the settings are good).

There is another alternative (I’ve never done this before), we could put the BIOS flashing stuff onto your ESP partition and screw up the Android boot so that when you restart your tablet the BIOS will be re-flashed. I should be able to arrange it so that Android will boot the next time and if not there are some versions of TWRP that we could probably use to get Android back up and running at least. It might be possible to just flash the settings, it is with AMI BIOS but I don’t know about Insyde H2O.
    There is an Android BIOS flashing utility I believe, we could look into that.

In summary your options:

1. Try my utility that could potentially brick your tablet.
    2. Wait to see if we can reduce the risk of using my utility.
    3. Try re-flashing your BIOS (which can of course go wrong too).
    JAkub G.
    Participant

The Custom Settings in my bios is good, i’sure because i restore Custom Defaults several times and tablet (with bios works ok). I think that we can use Custom Defaults from my files and next used your utility for my tablet. Your utility is modded TWRP which after install in dnx mode restore settings bios? I think that if dnx mode works -a after that i can restore android because it works fine.Could You prepare your utility for my tablet which my Custom Defaults settings bios?

But if bios re-flash option is safer maybe we can used these metod? If after using this method I can install android again i prefer this option.

JAkub G.
    Participant

I also found UpdateIFWI app for Android. I can reflash my bios (i have .bin and .fd bios file – the same size) or reset settings (clear cmos) with this app?

Jonathan
    Participant

When I want to fix the settings on my Vi10 I use (one of) my utility(y/ies) over the BIOS re-flashing because it’s quicker and the tablet is at risk for a shorter period of time. That said I have the tools lying around to re-flash the flash chip if it comes to it and there’s not even a back on my Vi10 to remove at the moment (the official BIOS Setup has bricked my tablet a few times my utility never).
    I think the Hi8 has the same metal strap secured with screws as the Vi10/Hi12? If so they are really easy to get into, I’ve opened both of those without breaking anything and I’m rough 😉

If the custom settings are known to be good then I’m more confident in my utility. But I still can’t guarantee it because I’ve never used it on the Hi8, you’ll be leading the way if you chose to do so 😉

I’ll make the changes to my utility anyway, that’ll take a while so you have time to think it over.

Jonathan
    Participant

With regards to UpdateIFWI, I know nothing about this app at all unfortunately 🙁

JAkub G.
    Participant

Ok, i’m waiting for your utility.

Yes Hi8 has metal strap secured with screws too. Can i reset my bios by remove cmos battery and put again like on PC? Maybe i can repair bios without any software?

Can You tell me more about re-flashing your BIOS by Android BIOS flashing utility?

Jonathan
    Participant

I’m writing the utility at the moment.

There is no CMOS battery anymore, the settings are in flash memory nowadays… The manual approach uses test clips and a BIOS re-programmer.

I don’t know anything about Android BIOS flashing utilities, I’m not an Android fan. I’ve only used Windows, DOS and shell based BIOS flashing utilities to date.

JAkub G.
    Participant

Understand 🙂 i said about android bios reflash in according to your “(…) put the BIOS flashing stuff onto your ESP partition and screw up the Android boot (…)” – maybe these method we can use if your utility doesn’t work? But i think that your utility reset my bios and everything is ok, finally the both are Chuwi and has the same type of Bios.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar