Linux on Atom based devices

Linux on Atom based devices

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Linux on Atom based devices

• This topic has 309 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by BBaker.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    Destry
    Participant

Is that not also true for the other lightweight distro’s?… Linux Mint Mate (17.3 / 18) and Xfce 17.3

I am sure it would be the same with the other distro’s as well.

inxi -Fxz shows the sound card identified and shows the network as unidentified though wifi is working.

Linux Mint on my Chuwi Hi12

Destry
    Participant

I am testing different versions on my tablet. My favorite flavor of mint is KDE and still looking at a couple weeks out before KDE 18 is released. I wanted to try the wifi patch on 17.3 and found out it worked quite well. I think I will leave the 17.3 on it for testing touch screen and sound for now.

Linux Mint on my Chuwi Hi12

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, cool.

I’ll get her on 17.3 – can always upgrade later.

Need to order the tablet – as soon as I get a couple of old laptops sold to fund it …

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve tried to install Cinnamon 3.0 in XJUbunTAB in my Teclast X98+ and I have trouble to use touchscreen to click in the “Menu” Categories and apps, also with other panel applets, I can open the menu, but then I can’t select any option. And it keeps opened even when I click in other places, I have to click the applet again to hide it. In the end I’ve given up because for the moment it’s not usable. If somebody gets it to work please tell me how…

If I use the USB mouse then it works all right.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve updated the web http://xjubuntab.xjesus.net
    I would appreciate if some English native correct some mistakes and if you think you can make some good guide to install it.
    Also I’m thinking of recording one video review, but my English is not the best… I’ll make it in Spanish and later in English, but if some of you can make a proper English video I would be glad to see it and share it. You can use some VirtualBox or any real device.

I’m uploading the last update of the XJUbunTAB ISOs with some improvements:
    – Compiz now is less CPU hungry and Unity has a lower CPU usage, but still high compared to XFCE. (OpenGL : Vsync unchecked and Texture = Fast)
    – Firefox GPU Hardware Acceleration enabled (forced) by default. But you still need to go to “about:config” and set “layers.acceleration.force-enabled” to “true” . http://en.librehat.com/blog/force-enable-hardware-acceleration-in-firefox-on-linux/
    – In Chrome you have to go to Settings -> Advanced (down below) -> Enable Hardware Accel… , and if you have trouble with it you can disable it running in a terminal “google-chrome –disable-gpu-compositing” and then disable the setting
    – SoundWire Server ready to run from the desktop to send audio to any Android device through WiFi. I recommend you to set a buffer of only 32K and no audio compression. I’ve been watching youtube videos and listening to them in the mobile phone and it’s perfect with a good WiFi signal.
    – I’ve disabled the customized DPI and increased fonts in both XFCE and Unity. So you will have to adapt it to your own tablet and personal taste.
    – Some other small fixes and changes

The “oibaf” ISO means it has the oibaf PPA with the last graphic drivers and it’s the recommended one for better performance, but if it doesn’t work with your device, you can try the “sta” which means standard graphic drivers and doesn’t include the oibaf PPA.

More info: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers

Screenshot and comments/bugs/questions for this release here please (for a better follow-up):

XJUbunTAB 16.07.09 – TouchScreen ready with Gestures

Tikilou
    Participant

The Wifi driver is on AUR repository for ArchLinux and Manjaro. 🙂

I have Manjaro Linux Gnome Edition (06/16 build) with 4.6 kernel and latest packages.

Manjaro is what Ubuntu/Mint are for Debian, easy to install and use, but rolling release distro. 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Wifi driver is on AUR repository for ArchLinux and Manjaro. ? I have Manjaro Linux Gnome Edition (06/16 build) with 4.6 kernel and latest packages. Manjaro is what Ubuntu/Mint are for Debian, easy to install and use, but rolling release distro. ?

Wow, a lot of fussing on the Manjaro forum https://forum.manjaro.org/

Is the key distinctive of Manjaro that it’s Arch/Debian rather than Ubunti/Debian based?

Can you share in a few words how that may or may not be an advantage to users of Atom-based devices, please?

I’ve been using various versions of Puppy for years & have not kept up with the other distros.

Thanks!

xjesus
    Participant

I’ve released another “sta” version with fixes to the hardware acceleration in Firefox/Chrome. I’ve documented it in the post https://xjesus.net/xjubuntu/2016/07/10/xjubuntab-16-07-09-touchscreen-ready-with-gestures/

The “oibaf” version doesn’t boot in my X98+ but might work in some other tablets.

Once installed the “sta” version, I can add the “oibaf” PPA and get some improvements in graphics but nothing really important.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m looking at the Teclast X98 Plus II Intel Cherry Trail X5 9.7 Inch IPS Dual Boot Tablet,

rather than the 12″ Chuwi Hi12. (Portability is a significant variable.)

Questions, please?

1. Is it as compatible as the Chuwi Hi12 – with the modified Linux Mint being developed here?
    2. Other than 2.3″ of display real estate am I giving up anything else?
    3. Can it drive a large external monitor without over-heating>
    4. Is the cooling as good as the Chuwi HI12?
    5. Is $159. the best current price?
    BBaker
    Participant

I’m looking at the Teclast X98 Plus II Intel Cherry Trail X5 9.7 Inch IPS Dual Boot Tablet, rather than the 12″ Chuwi Hi12. (Portability is a significant variable.) Questions, please?

1. Is it as compatible as the Chuwi Hi12 – with the modified Linux Mint being developed here?
    2. Other than 2.3″ of display real estate am I giving up anything else?
    3. Can it drive a large external monitor without over-heating>
    4. Is the cooling as good as the Chuwi HI12?
    5. Is $159. the best current price?

I don’t think @xjesus’ distro is Linux Mint, I think it’s Ubuntu Xfce, but I could be wrong. But then, it’s prob not important. Other members like @destry is trying to get Mint working on Chuwi.  I would post this question also on the XDA-developers forum.  Something else to note is the amount of support available on the Chuwi forums, as well as TechTablets, XDA, etc. forums.  Does Teclast have the amount of user support involvement, availability of distro’s, firmware/drivers, updates, bug fixes, etc?  I’m not saying they don’t, I just don’t know. But it’s prob worth more than any small amount of purchase price difference.  I always take that into account.  It’s one of the main reasons why I prefer the Linux Mint over other Linux distro’s.  A lot of user support activity on their forum.  Just something else to consider.

Anonymous
    Inactive

All good points, thanks!

The price difference is related to the size rather than the technology – in my mind.

Compatibility, features, & quality are far more important.

I saw Teclast owners posting to this thread – and that prompted me to look at them.

OK re. XDA.

This thread seemed to be making some real progress then went kind of quiet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Turns out I was able to acquire a used Samsung S5 phone – so I have a “tiny-tablet”

& need not worry about my laptop/desktop tablet needing to be ultra-portable.

So, back to the Chuwi HI12 …

Any news re. the projects by @xjesus and @destry ?

I need to decide soon if I get a Chuwi Hi12 as a replacement laptop

or if I will buy an actual laptop.

A fully-functioning triple-OS – Android/Linux/MS version of windows

device would be awesome!

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@destry is posting here

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=223426&p=1189546#p1189546

because he’s getting a 403 error on this Forum

Can someone fix that, please?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@bbaker6212 mentioned two alternative Linux/Mac/MS version of windows browser alternatives on the Mint site

Slimjet browser & Vivaldi browser

SlimJet gets terrible comments & doesn’t appear to be recently supported, Vivaldi looks interesting (customization), but is there an significant advantage to either on a tablet?

The https://epicbrowser.com/ browser looks real interesting from a privacy/security perspective but hasn’t yet been ported to Linux.

BBaker
    Participant

SlimJet gets terrible comments & doesn’t appear to be recently supported

wat?  I love Slimjet.  It’s my default browser I use on Linux Mint 18.   It’s small, fast, and has some nice features not the least of which is a built-in download accelerator and Ad blocker.   It uses the Chromium engine and I’ve yet to find a website that does not display correctly.  What are the bad comments?  Ar they from Windows or Linux users? I’m using the latest version 10.0.7.0 for Linux 64bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar