Linux on Atom based devices

Linux on Atom based devices

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Linux on Atom based devices

This topic contains 296 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  jaranya500 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 297 total)
  • Author

Thijs S.
    Participant

Hi pinguy, did you put in driver support for  Realtek 8723bs than?

greetings from Amsterdam.

pinguy
    Participant

Hi pinguy, did you put in driver support for Realtek 8723bs than? greetings from Amsterdam.

Ahh, maybe not then.

It does ship with a lot of Realtek firmwares but I don’t think rtl8723bs.bin is one of them.

If it ships with the 4.4 linux kernel, then you should be able to enable it by running:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic-lts-xenial linux-image-generic-lts-xenial linux-generic-lts-xenial

pinguy
    Participant

OK this should work: Pinguy_OS_14.04.4-3-LTS-Mini_Atom.iso

I have no way to to test this as I don’t own a Atom device, but can’t think of any reason why it shouldn’t work.

Basically to get any *buntu 14.04 distro working with Atom devices this is what you need to do.

First install VirtualBox and install the distro that you want to use on your Atom device.

Once installed, start the OS and open the terminal and run:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic-lts-wily linux-image-generic-lts-wily linux-generic-lts-wily

Then reboot.
    Once rebooted open the terminal again and run:

dpkg -l ‘linux-*’ | sed ‘/^ii/!d;/'”$(uname -r | sed “s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/”)”‘/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d’ | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge

When that finishes run:

sudo apt-get install build-essential git
    git clone https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs.git
    cd rtl8723bs
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe r8723bs

Next download the intel-linux-graphics-installer & PinguyBuilder and place them in the home folder.

Now run:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

All you need to do now is open PinguyBuilder and create the ISO.

To copy the ISO from the .vdi you need to install virtualbox-fuse.

Download the package from here and place it in your ~home.

Now run:

sudo dpkg -i –force-depends virtualbox-fuse*.deb

Now mount the .vdi

Example:

sudo vdfuse -f ~/Test.vdi ~/mountpoint
    sudo mount ~/mountpoint/Partition1 /windows/Partition1

If you are having audio issues this may fix it:

wget https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/linux-firmware/+archive/master/intel.tar.gz
    sudo tar -xf intel.tar.gz -C /lib/firmware/intel
    sudo wget https://raw.github.com/AdamWill/baytrail-m/master/alsa/t100_B.state -O /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
    sudo reboot

Then run:

sudo alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state restore

xjesus
    Participant

Thank you @pinguy !! If you are involved I’m sure everything will work in the end 🙂

PinguyBuilder is working for me on 16.04 (upgraded from 14.04). It works at least on Virtualbox installations and my laptop, but on the tablet it doesn’t boot properly to the graphical interface.

I will try again with 14.04 and xenial kernel. Eventually I’ll also try with 32 bits. Thanks again for everything.

Hope we can convert the “cheap-Chinese-tablet” users 🙂

pinguy
    Participant

@xjesus I updated the PinguyBuider this morning. It has the same version number. The only changes I made was that the 64-bit system downloads the 32bit as well as the 64bit UEFI grub for offline installs.

Unsure if this will help with installing on 64-bit systems with 32-bit UEFI.

On a side note why are you installing 64-bit on Atom devices? All the devices I have seen use less then 3GB of RAM. A 32-bit distro would run far better on that hardware.

pinguy
    Participant

xjesus
    Participant

Well, most of the last tablets you can see around this web have 4GB already, even 8GB some of them. Also the fact that Chrome was dropping support for 32 bits made me think to go for 64 bits first. But when I’ll find the time I’ll make the 32 bits as well, which supports 4GB with PAE and consume less RAM indeed…

xjesus
    Participant

@pinguy I’ve just tried your Pinguy OS mini Atom and this is where it gets stuck:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4TUehAb_iPFSTJIdjE4THAwbVE/view?usp=sharing

With my 14.04 distro I can only boot to the graphical interface with kernel 3.13 or 4.4.4 (manually downloaded from ppa) but I can’t boot with the other LTS’s 3.16, 3.19 or 4.4.0.X

But now again I have problems with 4.4.4 to boot the live USB.

With the 16.04 distro I’ve got different random results but sometimes with 4.4.4 I was able to boot and sometimes with lts-xenial (4.4.0.X) too. But right now it doesn’t boot.

I also tried the daily Xenial Ubuntu and it boots all right.

In the 14.04 distro I am using graphic drivers from ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

pinguy
    Participant

Without getting my hands on a Intel Bay Trail device, I’m not going to be a lot of help.

One thing I can help with is the grub issue on x64. If you install grub-efi-ia32 on the 64-bit system before creating the ISO with PinguyBuilder. It should fix “The ‘grub-efi-amd64-signed’ package failed to install into /target/”

sudo apt-get install grub-efi-ia32-bin
    sudo grub-install –target i386-efi

xjesus
    Participant

I think the problem is on the patches and/or virtualbox guest additions because the only kernels that can boot right (3.13 or 4.4.4 on Ubuntu 14.04) can’t compile the patches. And kernel 4.4.4 in Ubuntu 14.04 can’t install Virtualbox guest additions.

I mean, the only way I can boot the live graphical interface is with the combination that can’t compile the patches.

These are the error logs with kernel 4.4.4 in Ubuntu 14.04 trying to install the patches for touchscreen and Realtek 8723bs WiFi and Bluetooth:

http://pastebin.com/j40FECt1

In Ubuntu 16.04 and kernel 4.4.4 I can compile these same patches and install Virtualbox guest additions, but them it doesn’t boot!

pinguy
    Participant

I think the problem is on the patches and/or virtualbox guest additions because the only kernels that can boot right (3.13 or 4.4.4 on Ubuntu 14.04) can’t compile the patches. And kernel 4.4.4 in Ubuntu 14.04 can’t install Virtualbox guest additions.

I mean, the only way I can boot the live graphical interface is with the combination that can’t compile the patches.

These are the error logs with kernel 4.4.4 in Ubuntu 14.04 trying to install the patches for touchscreen and Realtek 8723bs WiFi and Bluetooth:

http://pastebin.com/j40FECt1

In Ubuntu 16.04 and kernel 4.4.4 I can compile these same patches and install Virtualbox guest additions, but them it doesn’t boot!

OK, removed virtualbox-guest-x11 as a dependency in PinguyBuilder.

Also uploading a new image using wily kernel 4.2.0 and removed the virtualbox-guest-x11 package.

EDIT;

@xjesus where are you getting the touch patches from?

EDIT2;

Never mind. Downloaded your distro and copied the patches folder.

pinguy
    Participant

If someone could test this you would be doing me a huge favour. If it boots and works I will re-package my distro and re-release it with the patches.

Pinguy_OS_14.04.4-3-LTS-Mini_Atom.iso

Daniél Lecoq
    Participant

Downloading.. Will test after dinner.

pinguy
    Participant

Downloading.. Will test after dinner.

Thanks.

palito
    Participant

What about kernel 4.5? Will it be better?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password