Running Linux on the EZBook 2?

Running Linux on the EZBook 2?

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Running Linux on the EZBook 2?

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 370 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

BTW, Helmuth’s install script allows you to choose your desktop environment. Only the installer is text-based but it is pretty automatic.

Brad
    Participant

I haven’t really tried installing a new version of Antergos because I prefer seeing for myself which packages are installed to keep my setup as lean as possible. Having said that, since Antergos is really Archlinux with Cinnamon lipstick (I prefer Gnome), simply blacklisting snd_hdmi_lpe_audio followed by a reboot should be enough. The attached /var/lib/alsa/asound.state file will also help with the swapped left/right channels.

You can choose Gnome as well as five other desktops when installing Antergos 17.9

Brad
    Participant

BTW, Helmuth’s install script allows you to choose your desktop environment. Only the installer is text-based but it is pretty automatic.

The Manjaro net-installer (Manjaro Architect) allows you to do the same thing.  Again, Manjaro is based on Arch but not “real Arch” under the hood like what Antergos gives you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh well. I’ve been out of the times with Antergos. I still have a CD installer of the first version right after it was renamed from Cinnarch, and that was way back. I’m not fond of GUI installers anyway but I will see how I can help. Just need to find another hard drive because I have dropped the built-in Win10 on this laptop and switched over to Arch since I managed to get most of what I need working.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I managed to burn the Antergos minimal ISO to USB using dd. Despite the good looks on startup, it gave me a hard time connecting to my wifi router. Checking network connectivity was also not possible because it didn’t have any ping or traceroute tools. I gave up. It isn’t much easier despite the GUI. Someone should teach those guys a thing or two about UX.

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

I managed to burn the Antergos minimal ISO to USB using dd. Despite the good looks on startup, it gave me a hard time connecting to my wifi router…

Don’t give up on Antergos yet! If you can, try the normal version which boots live into Gnome, and you should be able to check if everything is working including wi-fi, sound, etc.

The GUI installer then lets you choose between 5 different Desktop Environments.

P.S: I’ve been using Antergos since 2015, coming from xubuntu. Also tried several other distros like Manjaro, etc, etc and settled on Antergos ever since 😉

Best regards
    Ricardo

Brad
    Participant

I managed to burn the Antergos minimal ISO to USB using dd. Despite the good looks on startup, it gave me a hard time connecting to my wifi router…

Don’t give up on Antergos yet! If you can, try the normal version which boots live into Gnome, and you should be able to check if everything is working including wi-fi, sound, etc. The GUI installer then lets you choose between 5 different Desktop Environments. P.S: I’ve been using Antergos since 2015, coming from xubuntu. Also tried several other distros like Manjaro, etc, etc and settled on Antergos ever since ?

Yeah, I’ve never tried the minimal version either.  Are you using Antergos Gnome desktop or XFCE with the EZB3Pro?
    I personally think Gnome is a little sluggish on the lower powered CPU’s like the Celeron N3450.
    Not alot though.  It could be acceptable to some people, perhaps if the UI animations are turned off.

uno
    Participant

Hi, mi jumper 2 it worked headphones good sound ,,,,,,,,,, now it does not work “for my fault”

how can i reset pulseadio and alsa for start again ??????

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=e006e7727bfefbe42e0196caa8e9be09e4f68084

thanks in advance

Brad
    Participant

Hi, mi jumper 2 it worked headphones good sound ,,,,,,,,,, now it does not work “for my fault” how can i reset pulseadio and alsa for start again ?????? http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=e006e7727bfefbe42e0196caa8e9be09e4f68084 thanks in advance

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture/Troubleshooting

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve never tried the minimal version either. Are you using Antergos Gnome desktop or XFCE with the EZB3Pro? I personally think Gnome is a little sluggish on the lower powered CPU’s like the Celeron N3450. Not alot though. It could be acceptable to some people, perhaps if the UI animations are turned off.

eerrm… I only use XFCE wherever distro I install, I love eye candy but hate fancy effects. I’m all for speed and productivity 😉

Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon, and even MATE, are too much for these types of machines… LXDE, or XFCE are my choices. I haven’t tried Budgie but I bet it would  not run as fast as LXDE or XFCE.

NOTE: I’m not using EzBook 2 anymore, if you read the full thread you’ll notice that I regret big time to have bought this piece of crap/cheap products… it bricked just by going into BIOS and altered some parameter. Never again I’ll let myself to be seduced by cheap prices instead of checking for full Linux support out-of-the-box before I made any purchase.

Best regards
    Ricardo

Brad
    Participant

I agree. Since I tried out Manjaro Xfce I’m only interested in XFCE desktop.
    Which BIOS entry did you change that bricked it?  Was it AMI-BIOS-2.18.1263 ? (this is the version in EZBook 3 Pro)
    It’s really messed up that Jumper does not supply firmware and a flashing tool to the public to use.

Ricardo Simões
    Participant

…Which BIOS entry did you change that bricked it? Was it AMI-BIOS-2.18.1263 ? (this is the version in EZBook 3 Pro) It’s really messed up that Jumper does not supply firmware and a flashing tool to the public to use.

It was the Jumper EzBook 2 but I can’t remember the exact BIOS version, sorry.

P.S: Stay away from TECLAST brand as well, the tablet I bought for my mom bricked while doing an OTA update!!!!! Had to wait several weeks for the official Teclast support made the firmware available through dropbox ?!?!?!!? LOL

Best regards
    Ricardo

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is something you might want to try. I have a feeling that some distros have a corrupt/incorrect asound.state being loaded:

$ sudo cp /usr/share/alsa/ucm/bytcr-rt5651/asound.state /var/lib/alsa
    $ rm ~/.config/pulse/*
    $ sudo alsactl restore

Ignore the following warning and your sound should be good to go!

alsactl: load_state:1683: Cannot open /var/lib/alsa/asound.state for reading: No such file or directory
    alsactl: sysfs_init:48: sysfs path '/sys' is invalid

Found hardware: "bytcr-rt5651" "" "" "" ""
    Hardware is initialized using a generic method

Make sure you save the current/new settings:

$ sudo alsactl store

uno
    Participant

Thanks @BC

Return mi sound ,,,,headphones ,,,,, speakers it does not work

Thanks ..

Anonymous
    Inactive
    $ speaker-test -c 2

Does that produce any buzzing sound?

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 370 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar