SOFT Solution to disable/override Touchpad windows gestures

SOFT Solution to disable/override Touchpad windows gestures

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi12 Forum SOFT Solution to disable/override Touchpad windows gestures

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Mickey Y
    Participant

Some people have complains that they can not turn off the windows gesture for the hi12 touchpad (within the keyboard). Since windows does not recognise the touchpad as “Precision Touchpad”, no setting is available in the control panel. I have tried modified the registry to force the touch pad to be recognised as legacy touchpad, the only option I can get is the “Accidental touch delay” options, no further than that. There is no way to switch off the gestures. I have also consulted with the Chuwi Tech support, and they are helpless, they advised the keyboard accessories are made by their supplier, they don’t make the keyboard, hence, they don’t even know what kind of chip set is using, don’t mention about the touchpad driver.

So, I keep digging a way to disable those annoying windows gestures. Below is what I have found, and it works.

I have figured out a SOFT solution, by running a third party script to manipulate the windows hotkey/default behaviour. As those touchpad gestures are actually firing off some sort of hotKey combinations to trigger windows feature, eg, touchpad swipe down from edge = “restore windows size” = WinKey + KeyDown,  touchpad swipe left from right edge = “Windows Action Center” = WinKey + A , etc, find a full list here:  https://www.shortcutworld.com/en/win/Windows_10.html

The 3rd party script I am referring is call AutoHotKey:  https://autohotkey.com/  , however it doesn’t run out of the box, you need some scripting skills to customise and override of the default windows hotKey behaviour.
    Have a look at the tutorial section, it explains how to write a custom script. The only things annoying me re the hi12 touchpad gestures are:
    – pinch and zoom: when I am browsing with two fingers scroll, sometime it triggers a pinch and zoom
    – invert scrolling direction, I would like a Mac style of scrolling direction

I have done some simple scripting to address the above two annoyances and composed it as an executable (exe), and run it every time I start windows (by putting it in the startup folder), the script only takes 1.8MB of Ram size, it is quite light.

And the good thing is, IT WORKS..  I am now having two fingers inverted scrolling and the pinch and zoom feature are disabled (Overridden). And I believe you can do more with it, eg, getting rid of the restore windows size and action center gestures.

Believe it or not, you can go ahead and give it a try.

I know it is no a fundamental solution by getting the correct driver, but at least it eliminates your frustrations while using the touchpad keyboard.

Update: I have attached (see attachment) a compiled EXE to address the below common touchpad issues

• Override swipe down from top edge gesture, that fires resize/restore window size.
    • Invert two finger scroll direction, that match Mac style.

Feel free the try it out, please report if it works for you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bill Christiansen
    Participant

That’s an interesting work-around. I found it helps to increase the mouse cursor speed in the mouse settings so you can move the mouse cursor a bigger distance with smaller movements on the pad so it’s easier to avoid the edges. I still get caught out when moving the cursor down the page if I get to close to the top of the pad it reduces the window from full screen to a smaller window.

Mickey Y
    Participant

I still get caught out when moving the cursor down the page if I get to close to the top of the pad it r

You can try using this method to override the swipe down from edge gesture that resize/restore the window.

alessandro
    Participant

wonderful…

I wonder if there is something for android too…

Mickey Y
    Participant

I have attached a compiled EXE to remove the annoying Swipe down resize windows gesture, also set the two finger scroll to inverted direction. See the attachment of the 1st post, feel free to try it out and report back if it works for you.

Nicolas Giraud
    Participant

Hi, thanks that’s a really useful workaround. Could you please document the script commands you used and how you compiled the executable? For instance I’d rather not invert the 2 fingers scrolling direction.

Mickey Y
    Participant

Have a look at their website up there, they have a very detail documentation and tutorial. The download section has another bundle to compile your own executable, very details.

My script was listening to WinKey + Down (restore current window size) hotkey and override it with empty return command.

The invert scrolling part was listening to mouse scroll down and replace it with mouse scroll up, and doing the same with listening mouse scroll up and replace with scroll down.

Bill Christiansen
    Participant

I tried your executable, and it works well. Thanks!

alessandro
    Participant

Do we have just to unzip and put into startup folder?

Thanks

Mickey Y
    Participant

Do we have just to unzip and put into startup folder? Thanks

Yes, you can. Or you can run it manually every time you start windows.

Bill Christiansen
    Participant

wonderful… I wonder if there is something for android too…

I haven’t had the same issues in android as the touchpad is not as sensitive and you don’t get the same false triggers.

For those who need the path to start folder for Windows: C:\Users\”your user”\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

@Mickey, can you compile another same as the first but with pinch & zoom also disabled?

Mickey Y
    Participant

can you compile another same as the first but with pinch & zoom also disabled?

There seems to be a bug/or unknown problem when using the AutoHotKey script that, intercepting both “pinch & zoom” and “restore window size (swipe down from edge)” at the same time will end up ignoring the “pinch & zoom command”. I can compile just ignoring the “pinch & zoom”, but you will lose “restore window size” override.

It could be me couldn’t figure a way to make both of them working together. Please read the tutorial if you are interested, you might discover a better way to solve it, and please share if you do.

Bill Christiansen
    Participant

can you compile another same as the first but with pinch & zoom also disabled?

There seems to be a bug/or unknown problem when using the AutoHotKey script that, intercepting both “pinch & zoom” and “restore window size (swipe down from edge)” at the same time will end up ignoring the “pinch & zoom command”. I can compile just ignoring the “pinch & zoom”, but you will lose “restore window size” override. It could be me couldn’t figure a way to make both of them working together. Please read the tutorial if you are interested, you might discover a better way to solve it, and please share if you do.

Ok, will do. Thanks for trying it’s already much better to use.

Rusty Spoons
    Participant

@Mickey Y – Would you be so kind as to post your code? Is it like so?

WheelUp::
    Send {WheelDown}
    Return

WheelDown::
    Send {WheelUp}
    Return

#Down::
    return

I’d love to be able to invert the scrolling on a couple of other devices I have!

Mickey Y
    Participant

Would you be so kind as to post your code? Is it like so?

Yes, thats exactly what my script is, give it a go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar