SSDs Compatible with Ezbook 3 pro

SSDs Compatible with Ezbook 3 pro

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series SSDs Compatible with Ezbook 3 pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Norg
    Participant

I have a second gen ezbook 3 pro and I am looking for SSD recommendations.

Has anyone installed a Kingspec 128g (m.2 NGFF 2242) in their ezbook pro 3? Here’s a link I found on taobao for it:

https://world.tmall.com/item/45782229945.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.8.76bf523pf75GS&id=45782229945&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&abbucket=1&tbpm=1

Even if you don’t have a Kingspec, feel free to post which drive you’ve had luck with (this may help others and me).

Thanks in advance

bigboybig
    Participant
    TAN
    Participant

Hi guys, who has the latest version of Ezbook 3 pro from gearbest and has managed to get kingspec SSD to work with their machine? Read a forum thread and realize that some folks here did not managed to get their m.2 ssd working with their machine. Waiting for my Kingspec SSD and Ezbook 3 pro shipped from gearbest.

George G
    Participant

@TAN and Norg: My 128GB KingSpec SSD from AliExpress should arrive tomorrow. I will post results of the installation soon.

Norg
    Participant

George G @dendrite

Yes, please let us know. That would be great. I actually haven’t bought a SSD yet.

CS
    Participant

Hi guys,

I bought the 256gb KingSpec 22*42mm NGFF SSD. It works perfectly. I have been using it for a month now

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KingSpec-22-42mm-NGFF-SSD-256GB-SATA-III-6Gb-s-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-NGFF-For/32741153443.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.j1IRu0

I followed this tutorial and used a program called EaseUS (free).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HFvjM8b8aY

Specially, do not forget to tickle the option “optimize for SSD” and then change the boot options in the bios. I also did a Disk Backup beforehand with the same program for an external hd in case one day the ssd fails.

Good luck

George G
    Participant

@CS:

Thanks for posting, very reassuring to know that you had no problems. I have seen posts (not in this forum) that leaving the first copy of Windows on the soldered-in eMMC interferes with boot even if the boot order is changed in the UEFI / BIOS.

So, apparently you did not wipe Windows from the eMMC prior to changing the boot order and rebooting with the cloned SSD ?

Subjectively, is your machine noticeably faster and have you done any benchmarking? There was a post about poor write speeds.

CS
    Participant

Yes George, as you guessed, I first booted with the m.2 and only then formatted the eMMC.

I do find it much faster than before. It is impressive how they manage to put such capacity on a tiny m.2. Granted, is not out of this world, but is very fine in my experience.

There are two screenshots of benchmarks, on from the m.2 and one from the eMMC.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    George G
    Participant

@CS:

Those benchmark results are very encouraging, thanks for posting. I’ve already made a backup and USB recovery stick with Macrium Reflect free – still waiting for my KingSpec SSD part number NT-128 to arrive in the mail (USPS). It’s been almost 3 weeks since I ordered it from AliExpress, but it was free shipping via China EMS (ePacket). It was stuck in New York for a few days but should arrive today.

George G
    Participant

I installed the cheapo KingSpec SSD part number NT-128 ($45) and had no problems except for removing the SSD retention screw under the M.2 hatch (in V4). It was poorly machined so I had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to loosen it. Luckily, the SSD comes with a good retention screw so I used that one instead.

Benchmark results are similar to what is posted above. When cloning, remember to resize the Windows partition to fill the SSD. I resized the recovery partition to 1 GB as well. After installation, check disk management in Windows to make sure the new drive is showing. Upon reboot, the UEFI/BIOS will show two boot managers if you did not wipe the eMMC. Just press enter to select the NT-128 for the first boot position.

I did not reformat the eMMC and decided just to keep it for backup. The 120 GB on the new drive is plenty for my needs.

All in all, I paid a total of $275 for the laptop and the new SSD. Not bad!

CS
    Participant

Glad to know that there are also good experiences like mine. It is indeed amazing the quality and the functionality of this machine for the price…

GT
    Participant

Beware KingSpec drives: https://kingspecssdreview.blogspot.ca/

Obviously a biased website but if you do more searching you’ll find similar results.

George G
    Participant

Often reviews are misleading, fake and biased, as you stated. Even premium drives get bad press. For $45, it’s not a bad risk. Mine works great.

Kyprianos
    Participant

I have the same ssd  drive as George G, but the 256 gb model. I agree with George G even the 256 gb was a good deal for the money. Also backed by a 3 year warranty you can return to Kingspec for exchange if it breaks down within the warranty period.

CS
    Participant

This blog mentioned by GT for me is very suspicious… the name of it, the fact that only reviews one product and in a very strange and negative way. As I said, I’m pleased and for the two months that I’ve used it, no problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar