Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

This topic contains 164 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  Chupa 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 165 total)
  • Author

lations
    Participant

Update: the samsung ssd that ppl here were recommending gave me zero issues, detected in bios and in windows no problems. My bios date was 02/01/2018 btw, incase it makes a difference.

jose
    Participant

benulations, you unlocked the bios?
    I do not dare to unlock the bios if I do not do it right.
    Is the evo 850 or 860?
    How are you going with the life of the battery?
    Thank you

lations
    Participant

benulations, you unlocked the bios?
    I do not dare to unlock the bios if I do not do it right.
    Is the evo 850 or 860?
    How are you going with the life of the battery?
    Thank you

Jose, my friend, after all the stress I’ve been through just like yourself, I’d be more than happy to share my knowledge with you.

I used the MZ-N6E250BW (Samsung 860 EVO) – it’s a 256gb card, but personally I think any size would work, or maybe even any brand of reputable SSD – of course, it’s silly for me to say that, because as we both know, some people have definitely had trouble with their SSDs (we still don’t know the real cause).

I did unlock the bios (before installing SSD) but again, I’m not sure that was neccessary. By the way, the bios procedure was very easy so long as you very carefully read Giovanni’s instructions (you don’t need to do all of it e.g the hex editor, you just need to do the actual ‘flash’ procedure). The most important thing is making sure you use the right unlocked bios – e.g. make sure you check your bios date, and download the appropriate ‘unlocked’ version of the same bios date from his OP.

The battery life kinda sucks – maybe 4 hours or so? I haven’t actually used the machine much, so I can’t give an accurate response. But one issue is that sometimes I charge to full (green LED), turn it on to confirm it’s 100%, then turn it off and come back a few hours later…and it has dropped by about 8~10% while turned off. What the fuck? That is really disappointing, that’s more disappointing than having a short battery life. So for the past few days I’ve been doing this, charging over night and leaving it, and testing it in various ways, to determine if the issue keeps happening. If it does keep happening (and it has so far) then I guess it’s worth me sending back for a replacement.

Of course, I’m very concerned that the replacement will do the same thing, that’s why I really hoped other users could tell me if they had the same problem (battery not being full when you turn it on, almost like it’s losing power while turned off)

Mark
    Participant

I’ve read the thread and cloned the emmc to a wd green 120gb ssd. However I don’t seem to be able to boot from ssd. In bios boot options I have windows boot manager, windows boot manager (wds 120gb etc etc etc) and uefi. No matter which order I put these in and even if I disable uefi option and regular windows boot manager option, the system always boots from emmc. I want to boot from ssd and format emmc to use it as storage for music. What am I missing and can someone please help me?

jose
    Participant

Hi, Benulations,

With a 100% battery charge, battery bar says 5 hours, but downloads faster. at the beginning it seems to get rid faster, the load percentage with the CPU at low load decreases quickly. I think it lasts 4 hours. With the notebook turned off, the battery is 100%.
    As for the replacement of the battery, there is not much information in the forum. I only see the message of Chupa.
    I am also interested in this.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

jose
    Participant

Hi, Mark,

There were people who deleted the emmc from the windows console. I do not remember the post.

jose
    Participant

evo 860 works perfect. the bios detects the ssd and cloning windows you can disable the emmc. I have the bios 6/11/17 blocked and boot from ssd. if you restart the laptop it takes 31 seconds to load windows from ssd and emmc. If you turn the sd on and off, it takes 10 seconds less to start. in normal use there does not seem to be much difference in speed in the system. the speeds of the ssd in CrystalDiskMark 6 are correct. I do not know if it’s worth putting an SSD, depending on the cost of the SSD.

lations
    Participant

evo 860 works perfect. the bios detects the ssd and cloning windows you can disable the emmc. I have the bios 6/11/17 blocked and boot from ssd. if you restart the laptop it takes 31 seconds to load windows from ssd and emmc. If you turn the sd on and off, it takes 10 seconds less to start. in normal use there does not seem to be much difference in speed in the system. the speeds of the ssd in CrystalDiskMark 6 are correct. I do not know if it’s worth putting an SSD, depending on the cost of the SSD.

Just to confirm, you didn’t flash the bios, correct?

I wonder what the point of actually flashing the bios is, if you can use the SSD without flashing it

Paolo
    Participant

Soooooo, guys, I’m back with more and more problems! YAY!!

Ok, first: did you remember that I’ve incorrectly done the heatsink mod? Ok, so, I re-opened the lid, made the right correction to the heatsink, screw back everything aaaaaaaand…. TA-DAAAA!!!! When Booting win10 gave me a critical error message code 0x0000000e which is a system32 file missing!!! $h!t!! So, deep in the particulars, after two of three hours of immersive blog and MS troubleshoot Q/A, the story is actually trivial tho: this kind of message is received only by drivers which have a dual live boot seen only by win boot manager and not by the BIOS, i.e. 1 fisical hard drive partitioned in 2 with 2 working versions of win 10! So, my two drives (physically separated) are seen as one! The bad thing was that I was able to properly boot only once on a while, attempting to boot several times. Fortunately, I was able to recover the original version of win10 on the eMMC, but now I can’t boot in the SSD. I have an idea, in the boot options in the BIOS I can see only the Windows Boot Manager and the UEFI Shell, but I can’t see the name of the drives, so, in my opinion, the BIOS is part of the eMMC, and if I want to boot directly from the SSD I NEED to clone the eMMC to the SSD (and that’s what I don’t want to do!). Maybe, cloning the entire eMMC to the SSD will clone also the hidden partitions that made the boot possible, so MAYBE once cloned in the SSD, I can install win10 from zero in the SSD without formatting the hidden partitions. I’ll do this in very short time.

Second: my SSD cost only 35$, so I can immagine that the performance aren’t the same for a 100$ or more SSD, CDM gave me a result that is only doubled the speed of the eMMC in write, in read is like 5 times more.

Third: my wifi card. First month I haven’t any kind of problem, now, it’s a pain in the A$5!!! I think it’s a mounting problem, maybe I’ve tightened the screws too hard and the lid is blocking the signal.

Fourth: Battery drain. My EzBook is suffering of battery drainage even if it’s switch off, or maybe it’s only my hysteria. Also, the battery has some hours of usage left. I’m start to think maybe it’s due to the SSD which is still there in place and is detected by win in the task manager.

But there’re some pros: The display is really a joy to watch, the mouse pad is really accurate.

I’ve spent around 250$ for everything (including the SSD, thermal paste and pads, copper pad, teflon and silver tapes and an expansion bay 6 in 1 for the lan). This PC is only a tryout to see if these ultrabooks could be a good thing for my productivity, and it’s a BIG YES!!!

jose
    Participant

not flash the bios

rajko
    Participant

<span id=”result_box” class=”” lang=”en”>Hello! <span class=””>I had a completely identical problem, after two months the battery went off, I bought a new battery, and after two days I did not want to use the computer again.</span> <span class=””>It’s Chinese rubbish that you do not have to throw money.</span> <span class=””>my eZbook 3 Pro has been in operation for only 6 months.</span></span>

lations
    Participant

Soooooo, guys, I’m back with more and more problems! YAY!!

Ok, first: did you remember that I’ve incorrectly done the heatsink mod? Ok, so, I re-opened the lid, made the right correction to the heatsink, screw back everything aaaaaaaand…. TA-DAAAA!!!! When Booting win10 gave me a critical error message code 0x0000000e which is a system32 file missing!!! $h!t!! So, deep in the particulars, after two of three hours of immersive blog and MS troubleshoot Q/A, the story is actually trivial tho: this kind of message is received only by drivers which have a dual live boot seen only by win boot manager and not by the BIOS, i.e. 1 fisical hard drive partitioned in 2 with 2 working versions of win 10! So, my two drives (physically separated) are seen as one! The bad thing was that I was able to properly boot only once on a while, attempting to boot several times. Fortunately, I was able to recover the original version of win10 on the eMMC, but now I can’t boot in the SSD. I have an idea, in the boot options in the BIOS I can see only the Windows Boot Manager and the UEFI Shell, but I can’t see the name of the drives, so, in my opinion, the BIOS is part of the eMMC, and if I want to boot directly from the SSD I NEED to clone the eMMC to the SSD (and that’s what I don’t want to do!). Maybe, cloning the entire eMMC to the SSD will clone also the hidden partitions that made the boot possible, so MAYBE once cloned in the SSD, I can install win10 from zero in the SSD without formatting the hidden partitions. I’ll do this in very short time.

Second: my SSD cost only 35$, so I can immagine that the performance aren’t the same for a 100$ or more SSD, CDM gave me a result that is only doubled the speed of the eMMC in write, in read is like 5 times more.

Third: my wifi card. First month I haven’t any kind of problem, now, it’s a pain in the A$5!!! I think it’s a mounting problem, maybe I’ve tightened the screws too hard and the lid is blocking the signal.

Fourth: Battery drain. My EzBook is suffering of battery drainage even if it’s switch off, or maybe it’s only my hysteria. Also, the battery has some hours of usage left. I’m start to think maybe it’s due to the SSD which is still there in place and is detected by win in the task manager.

But there’re some pros: The display is really a joy to watch, the mouse pad is really accurate.

I’ve spent around 250$ for everything (including the SSD, thermal paste and pads, copper pad, teflon and silver tapes and an expansion bay 6 in 1 for the lan). This PC is only a tryout to see if these ultrabooks could be a good thing for my productivity, and it’s a BIG YES!!!

Why do you think the SSD would be draining the battery?

I’m very interested cause mine also loses power while off

Paolo
    Participant

Why do you think the SSD would be draining the battery? I’m very interested cause mine also loses power while off

It’s only a personal opinion. For the power loss while off I think the problem is the eMMC, for the drainage when used I think it’s the running SSD that I don’t use. That’s only because more hardware linked to the same battery means more power to deliver.

lations
    Participant

Why do you think the SSD would be draining the battery? I’m very interested cause mine also loses power while off

It’s only a personal opinion. For the power loss while off I think the problem is the eMMC, for the drainage when used I think it’s the running SSD that I don’t use. That’s only because more hardware linked to the same battery means more power to deliver.

For drainage when used, that makes sense I guess.

For the power loss while off, that would seem weird for it to be the eMMC – you’d expect every owner to report the same issue, no?

Paolo
    Participant

For drainage when used, that makes sense I guess. For the power loss while off, that would seem weird for it to be the eMMC – you’d expect every owner to report the same issue, no?

I think it’s a kind of sleep circuit which give power to eMMC even if it’s off, like the CMOS battery. Is there anyone who has completely disassembled the pc?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password