Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

This topic contains 164 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  Chupa 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 165 total)
  • Author

Paolo
    Participant

Hello everyone, I am a proud owner of a Jumper EzBook 3 Pro V6, the one with locked BIOS and with the small window to install the 2240 m2. So, I used the book for two weeks giving the time to understand if it’s everything ok. I made all the updates and everything went ok. The one in my hands hasn’t the mingmingmei (or something so) process, so I’m not concerned about my privacy. One thing I noticed is that when I watch videos in youtube or Amazon Prime Video, the CPU starts to go 100% through the entire lenght of the video. So I decided to buy a Crucial MX500 240 gb 2280 m.2 SSD. Now, I want to install a clear version of win 10, without the clonation of the eMMC, just by plugging the ssd, changing the BIOS boot rank and installing the OS via usb. Do I need some advice? I think I will let windows do all his stuff and search all the drivers needed. Is that a good way or not?

Chupa
    Participant

not!

you would think that since it is an intel board with only intel chips ms update will work flawless.
    Sadly it is  not the case.
    Do your self a big favor and read a few hours through this forum, see where and why people have problems.

Then follow the recommendations of my first post (link below).

AND you still will be at 100% when you watch youtube and other things. That is normal with this ultra low powered N3450.

The SSD will just make the boot time and loading time a tiny bit faster and you have more capacity, that is all.
    If the boot time is OK with you it will be much easier to just install the ssd as a secondary drive and tell windows it should use this drive for all things (files etc).

5 min work no stress and everything works, you have even your ssd and emmc combined memory available this way.

The other way will be much more exiting and time consuming, like a big adventure with unknown outcome.

have fun

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Paolo
    Participant

not! you would think that since it is an intel board with only intel chips ms update will work flawless. Sadly it is not the case. Do your self a big favor and read a few hours through this forum, see where and why people have problems. Then follow the recommendations of my first post (link below). AND you still will be at 100% when you watch youtube and other things. That is normal with this ultra low powered N3450. The SSD will just make the boot time and loading time a tiny bit faster and you have more capacity, that is all. If the boot time is OK with you it will be much easier to just install the ssd as a secondary drive and tell windows it should use this drive for all things (files etc). 5 min work no stress and everything works, you have even your ssd and emmc combined memory available this way. The other way will be much more exiting and time consuming, like a big adventure with unknown outcome. have fun

Maybe I’m little too ambitious, but I’ve read this entire thread twice, and I’ve found out that there are several members who successfully did the same thing I have in mind to do with my EzBook. So, I’ll take the pill and go along for what I’ve decided to do. And, for the 100% of cpu usage during videos, I’ve found somewhere in MS forums, that the problem can be in some sort of update conflict, and a fresh installation of win10 could get rid of this issue. I’ll give you further details about my work. Cheers

Chupa
    Participant

so, how did it work out?

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Paolo
    Participant

Unfortunately I was not able to do the ssd installation because of my job, I’m abroad right now. I’ll have a short week home before going in France for two months, so in these days I’ll probably do this installation and I’ll do the heatsink mod (I’ve already bought the copper square, thermal paste and thermal pads). I’ve a question regarding the heatsink mod: is that a safe and good mod? I mean, won’t the copper plate move easily or will I be careful when I move the pc with me?

Chupa
    Participant

why should it move?

you screw the cooling tin back on and since the copper is thicker than the cooling pad, it will get a good squeeze to fix it in place.

Need Help?

lations
    Participant

I just ordered an EZBook 3 Pro.

I want to install an SSD in it – I see people here are trying to mod it so they can fit the longer 2280 drives – what’s the point? Why not just insert a 2240? Why are 2280’s better? I only intend to put a 128 or 256gb in mine.

Paolo
    Participant

I just ordered an EZBook 3 Pro. I want to install an SSD in it – I see people here are trying to mod it so they can fit the longer 2280 drives – what’s the point? Why not just insert a 2240? Why are 2280’s better? I only intend to put a 128 or 256gb in mine.

Because 2280 SSDs are cheaper and faster than 2240. Also, 2240s are only 256 gb at max

Paolo
    Participant

so, how did it work out?

Soooooo, here I am with my EzBook 3 Pro with a freshly installed win10 on a WD green SSD 2280 120 gb!

Yesterday I modded the heatsink, but I made a little mistake, I put a thermal pad between the copper plate and the heatsink and nod the external chassis is a little deformed. And today I’ve installed win10 on the sata m.2 ssd and everything went ok. I let windows do all his stuff, once installed I manually checked for updates on device manager and then windows made a few updates. The feel is very better, it’s impressively faster than before!

But, there’re some “issues”:

1. In device manager I have a “unknow device” and a “PCI data acquisition and signal processing controller” and I’m not able to find out what are (now I’m downloading the Intel driver updater)
    2. There’s no clue to modify the Boot option, in order to boot directly from the ssd, so when it boots Microsoft boot manager starts and asks me to choose a drive from where to load win10.

These are not huge problems, but I want to resolve them, to have a better PC experience.

Soo, with less than 250$ (euros, instead) I have a fully working ultrabook, ultrathin with a good battery (I was able to surf the web for more or less 8 hours straight). I’m very proud of this EzBook!

Chupa
    Participant

2 is easy
    run diskmgmt.msc
    remove the efi boot partition from the eMMC

BUT you should be able to permanent select a boot drive in the last bios window.
    and while you are at it how much ampere has your charger?
    if it is a 3A you better keep a close eye on the battery.

Need Help?

Paolo
    Participant

2 is easy run diskmgmt.msc remove the efi boot partition from the eMMC BUT you should be able to permanent select a boot drive in the last bios window. and while you are at it how much ampere has your charger? if it is a 3A you better keep a close eye on the battery.

Oh, maybe this changing of disk management is too overkill for me. I just wanto to start the boot directly from ssd, but I want to mantain the possibility to boot from eMMC just in case of necessity

Yes, my charger is 3000 mAh, why do I need to keep an eye on the battery? Are there any chance to fry the battery?

Chupa
    Participant

then you need to change it in your bios, but sometimes they do not allow 2 boot drives.
    and yes see: A Question to all Batterie Problem Jumpers

Need Help?

Paolo
    Participant

then you need to change it in your bios, but sometimes they do not allow 2 boot drives. and yes see: A Question to all Batterie Problem Jumpers

In BIOS I can only change between Windows Boot Manager e UEFI: Sell… Something.

I’m reading right now the other thread

Paolo
    Participant

Aaand, I cannot manage to recognize the two unknow hardwares

lations
    Participant

I’ve fitted an SSD and installed win10 on it. I now have win 10 on the emmc and ssd and i can use either to boot in to windows. I want to remove win10 from the emmc, but concerned if i delete everything on the emmc, it might not boot using the ssd, Any advice?

I solved it but still confused myself. Here is how I did. I had the same issue. I had windows on emmc and SSD. I installed windows 10 on USB drive, then installed on SSD,Ezbook 3 pro. I wanted Windows 10 only on SSD. I couldn’t manage it. I deleted windows from SSD. Then, I couldn’t boot, so I reinstalled Windows 10 on SSD from a USB drive. Now it boots again. Booting from emmc, I copy an image windows from emmc to SSD using Macrium Reflect Home Edition (suggested by Chris). I rebooted the machine. It worked. I did reformat emmc. All gone. I tried to reboot the machine. I didn’t work. Now, I try to boot the computer from USB. It doesn’t boot as usual before. I move around here and there, in bios, and finally it boots from USB. I didn’t install anything. Feeling helpless, I shutdown the machine. I reboot it. It just boots naturally. Now I have windows on only SSD.Everything from emmc drive is gone. This is how I did, but still I have no idea myself. Rebooting from USB drive solved my problem. I am typing now from the same computer.

How bizarre……..

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password