Bad EZBook pro batteries – How to replace step by step

Bad EZBook pro batteries – How to replace step by step

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Bad EZBook pro batteries – How to replace step by step

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 260 total)
  • Author
    Chupa
    Participant

no that should not a problem since it is not an egg (the frying part)
    it might not work but it should not go poof.
    it will just go back to the initial bios setup and the clock will need to be synced new but windows should do that automatically – every time you pull the plug.

did you contact geekbuying regarding compensation ?

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Greedo77
    Participant

Lol that’s good then. No didn’t bother contacting GeekBuying as it would cost more for the return shipping.

Chupa
    Participant

i was not talking return shipping but geerbest and ali give you some money in these cases.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

SB
    Participant

today i’ve also noticed some strange things with battery which i wasn’t aware before because my kid use this notebook and didn’t tell me there is any prob. battery works only for about 30 minutes now, when i bought it ~3 months ago it last for 3-4h. i’ve made windows 10 battery report and noticed that battery have lost it’s capacity quite rapidly during last 10 days, take a look at the screenshot. most of may it was working for 2.5-3h, but since 21st of may it started to loose a lot of capacity, and today estimated runtime is only 45m. it doesn’t even work for that long, because when it shows 30-40% notebook just turn off.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rac4
    Participant

Let it fully charge and discharge at least 3 times. You should have a more accurate reading of battery wear and capacity by then. you are running win 10 I assume? please check your device manager and see that not an intel or MS battery driver is missing I do not understand pic IMG_20180530_204214.jpg also your battery is rated 32.4Wh but you battery bar shows 48Wh, that is not correct reported. I can not make it out from the photos which cell is damaged but the one next to the plug looks a bit more non flat from here. Also check your power options and set like mine, critical action is set to hibernate

Chupa mentioned something important a few post earlier : “also your battery is rated 32.4Wh but you battery bar shows 48Wh, that is not correct reported.”

I haven’t opened my laptop yet, since I’m still in conversation with gearbest regarding the warranty (I’m afraid I’d lose my warranty if I open it since they put a sticker on a specific screw), but I bet I have also a 32.4Wh battery inside my current computer. As you see on the picture Batt capacity history, the battery I have was always considered as a 48Wh battery by my computer. Does this charging confusion affect the battery? I’m almost certain about it. I would suppose that each time the battery is charged to 100% means it’s probably overcharging by a few %… Does anybody with more knowledge than I do would like to comment?

Now, if I’m right, we might suppose that a brand new battery (a 32.4Wh) would also be failing within a few months of usage because I also suppose it would be recognize by the laptop as a 48Wh battery… That’s if I right, of course.

As asked by Chupa, here is attached my battery bar infos. The file BattBar_100 shows the battery at full charge with the charger plugged in. The file BattBar_Unplugged shows the frame on a video right before my computer shuts down. Very frustrating to know that the battery lasts only 2 minutes… Wow…

I have a question for you Chupa, I wondered what was the result of the cell replacement? Did you succeed in making the repair work? And if yes, what are the Battery Bar stats since the repair? Thanks for that and your previous posts! Very helpful!

For Greedo77 : it might not be as visible as your computer is but my battery seems to be swollen too. For my part, it’s the left cell that looks faulty… Thanks for the many infos provided!

Now, if anybody would like to record the volts and amps the battery is consuming while on charge (a measurement while the % growing and a measurement when 100% is reached) and while not on charge, I think it could help. I will try to do it when I’ll open the back of the computer.

Attachments:
    Chupa
    Participant

ezbook 3 pro should have something in the: a bit bigger than 30 Wh capacity.
    my samples are from a 3S a 14″ a bit thicker Jumper with a bigger battery.
    I also have a 3 pro like clone from Thompson with a 2 year full warranty (see homer thomson  link below)
    this has a 30.4 Wh build in. Also a different metal design, Metal bottom and metal lid top, rest plastic. So easy expandable case if needed from the battery.

Chinese like to lie about capacity and this is just on point why you should monitor you computer permanently via battery bar.
    Just check once a day your battery wear indicator and if you see it changing much you need to investigate.

My 3s is optimized for permanent over 10 Watt if needed (normal is a just 30 sec burst), it also has a 512GB SSD inside what takes more than just a simple 128GB, combine that with a 300 lux bright screen (normal screens are around 180 lux) running mostly at 100%.
    With this high power using setup I am always around 4+ hours I get out of the remaining 47 Wh battery.
    It also has a plastic case, what expands more easily than a metal shell.
    It seems to me that from Jumper 3 pro V4 on the build quality of some components is gone from bad to worse.
    See my post below stop buying a Jumper.

OK back to you, I never had to change the battery in my Jumper, the information collected here is from different sources including the Russian Jumper forum. The rest is 35 years of computer knowledge.

Not all computers report the battery correctly, google about it
    The problem from the ultra flat 3 pro is, there is no space to expand during heat build up. Remember the Samsung phones what were banned from air travel? Same problem too tight squeeze.
    When the battery tries to expand because of heat and is confined too much it comes to a defect in the isolating layer and the cell starts to generate even more heat and expands more. Well something has to give and you see the results.

Apple does something similar with the AIR, but with better quality batteries.

How to generate a Battery Report in Windows 10

Attachments:

Need Help?

Rac4
    Participant

Many thanks Chupa for this knowledge. This is getting very interesting!

In other words I’d say that the best possible solution could be to remove completly the battery and use, instead, an external battery plugged with the exact same tip the charger is using. Did anybody tried using the computer with the charger plugged in and the inside battery unplugged? What is the result of this?

Or course, this solution would be so much less pratical for everyday usage. But since the ezbook 3 pro isn’t conceived to house its native battery, I guess this is the logical best solution unfortunately…

OR

Another solution could be to remove the native battery and put a more thin one. I guess this looks like the original statment Chupa elaborated.

More thin would also mean a different capacity, which brings me back to a previous question I was having. Does the computer recognize by itself the plugged in battery and automatically establish its capacity or is the capacity pre-stated by the original builder? Who manage the charging of the battery? Windows or the builder?

Chupa
    Participant

what I would to is remove the battery
    add on the outside frame an other 1mm thick frame (non metal)
    I just measured my plastic fly swatter with 1.1mm, just an idea…
    it does not to look pretty since you put the bottom plate over it anyhow.
    reinstall the battery
    this way the battery has room to expand if needed.

this is no cure for badly manufactured batteries.

it would be interesting to have a picture of all defective batteries to see if they have anything in common (manufacturer or some identical markings)

and I do not think it goes any thinner than you are already.

Remember the main battery is also you bios remember the settings battery. This is why when you messed things up ,unplug the battery resets the bios.

In my case i installed a 1mm thick aluminum  plate over the whole Jumper inside to transfer heat from the processor and the battery over the  whole bottom area.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Greedo77
    Participant

Guys, I can confirm the laptop works off the mains with the battery disconnected. See photos attached.

Feel slightly safer that the battery isn’t going to explode on me. ?

Attachments:
    Chupa
    Participant

told you so

Need Help?

Beppe
    Participant

<span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>oggi ho notato anche alcune cose strane con la batteria di cui non ero a conoscenza prima perché mio figlio usa questo notebook e non mi ha detto che c’è qualche problema. </span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>la batteria funziona solo per circa 30 minuti, quando l’ho acquistata ~ 3 mesi fa dura 3-4 ore. </span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Ho fatto un report sulla batteria di Windows 10 e ho notato che la batteria ha perso la sua capacità abbastanza rapidamente negli ultimi 10 giorni, dai uno sguardo allo screenshot. </span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>la maggior parte potrebbe funzionare per 2.5-3 ore, ma dal 21 maggio ha iniziato a perdere molta capacità e oggi il tempo di esecuzione stimato è di soli 45 m. </span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>non funziona nemmeno per così tanto tempo, perché quando mostra il 30-40% del notebook basta spegnerlo.</span></span>

I received $ 30 from Gearbest for the battery problem. I had asked to send it in warranty service in Spain, I chose the 30 dollars.

Greedo77
    Participant

What did you do? Just open a ticket with customer service? Did you provide photos/evidence?

Beppe
    Participant

<span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Che cosa hai fatto? </span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Basta aprire un biglietto con il servizio clienti? </span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Hai fornito foto / prove?</span></span>

What did you do? Just open a ticket with customer service? Did you provide photos/evidence?

I opened a ticket. I made videos, sent by e-mail. I advise you to write to them that you have performed reset, that you have tried another 12v charger. you tried to disconnect the battery.

SB
    Participant

i did the same and they offered warranty only (ezbook 3m old), so i’m sending mine to spain next week. hope to solve this till paypal protection expires.

lations
    Participant

So I’ve had my Pro for a couple of days now.

Last night I drained battery fully, then charged overnight. When I woke up, LED was green which indicates full charge. But upon turning on the laptop, it was only at 93%! And it went down by 2% or 3% within a few minutes of normal internet usage. BatteryBar reported “4.5 hours left” which seems quite short. Could this be inaccurate? Because Windows says 9 hours remaining, whereas Batterybar says 4.5 hours remaining…..

Anyway I plugged it in again after that, and it charged to 99%. But it’s very weird that it stopped at 93% before that and the LED was green. Why?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 260 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password