Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi10 Discussion Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

This topic contains 431 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  Brad 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 432 total)
  • Author

Brad
    Participant

In the past Intel Atom based mini PCs with Bay Trail and Cherry Trail SOCs required customized kernels to provide HDMI audio. As of version 4.11 the mainline kernel will include support for HDMI audio on Intel Atom SoCs and early release candidates are already available. The latest mainline kernel also includes a number of other patches including AXP288, I2C and the latest anti-freeze patches. Canonical build upstream kernels based on these release candidates and they have just released “deb” packages using the first Ubuntu version 4.11 kernel configuration file.

In anticipation that the v4.11 kernel will be included in Ubuntu 17.10 thereby removing the basic need for customized kernels, I am now providing an interim migration path that allows the latest v4.11 Ubuntu kernel build to be used with Ubuntu ISOs.

Using a script that I’ve developed you can respin an existing Ubuntu ISO so that you can boot it from a device with either a 32-bit bootloader or a 64-bit bootloader and optionally update it with the latest Canonical Ubuntu build of an upstream kernel.

To respin an existing Ubuntu ISO you will need to use a Linux machine with a working internet connection at least 10GB of free space. Having downloaded an ISO (for example ‘ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso’ simply download my script isorespin.sh and run with the ISO as a parameter (e.g. ‘./isorespin.sh ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso’). Or to respin and update the kernel include a ‘-u’ or ‘–update’ option (e.g. ‘./isorespin.sh –update ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso’).

You can respin the latest available ISOs include the recently released 17.04 Beta 2 of any flavour including Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu etc, as well as respinning earlier releases such as 16.04.2 or 14.04.5 for example.

As some wifi/bluetooth driver and userspace files are still required I’ve provided additional scripts to support RTL8723BS and various Broadcom chipsets as well as the ALSA UCM files for some audio chipsets used for headphones. The scripts can be run whilst using the ISO as a ‘LiveCD’ to provide wifi connectivity (assuming they have been previously downloaded and are accessed from USB or similar). Once an ISO has been installed the scripts can be run to install the additional functionality.

For the RTL8723BS chipset your first option is to download and run linuxium-install-rtl8723bs.sh which will build the wifi and bluetooth drivers from source and this requires a working internet connection. Alternatively you can download and run linuxium-install-rtl8723bs-binaries-for-4.11.0-rc4.sh which installs prebuilt binaries from the same source but does not require the internet. This second script only works for the current Ubuntu built upstream kernel.

For Broadcom chipsets you can download and run linuxium-install-broadcom-drivers.sh which should get wifi and bluetooth working for most of the popular Broadcom chipsets (as I don’t have the devices to do extensive testing unfortunately). If you run this script with an internet connection it will also update the Broadcom firmware with the latest upstream firmware from Google’s ChromiumOS which may help for other Broadcom based devices.

Note that in both cases the bluetooth service requires “systemd” (as used by 17.04 and 16.04) so earlier Ubuntu versions will need a manual configuration to run the service.

Finally for updating the UCM files where you have a headphone jack you will need an internet connection before downloading and running linuxium-install-UCM-files.sh which provides audio for devices with the 5640 and 5640 chipsets.

A new kernel release candidate is released each week prior to the final version and you can go to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D to check the latest version which will be displayed first.

If you want to respin ISOs with a release candidate later than ‘rc4’ simply edit ‘isorespin.sh’ and change the first couple of lines
    MAINLINE_BRANCH=”v4.11-rc4″
    MAINLINE_KERNEL_VERSION=”4.11.0-rc4″
    to match the required version.

Finally if you find my work useful then please donate using the following link http://goo.gl/nXWSGf as everything helps with development costs.

Posted by Linuxium at 15:50

Brad
    Participant

Just out today from Linuxium – could be helpful for getting Atom Cherry-Trail devices working…

http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com.br/2017/03/running-ubuntu-with-upstream-kernel-on.html

Wednesday, 29 March 2017
    Running Ubuntu with an Upstream Kernel on Intel Bay and Cherry Trail Devices

Cedric
    Participant

Hi all I am new to the forum.

I was one of the first buyers of the BQ 10″ tablet back when it came out, but returned it 3 days after receiving it because It was by and large an unfinished job, as far as the Canonical implementation of Ubuntu was concerned. Today with the news that Canonical abandons Unity in favor of Gnome 3.0, I am extra glad I made that decision.

I am looking at buying a Chuwi Hi10 or 12 tablet.
    What I mainly intend to do with the tablet is to use it to consult technical doc at work and stream movies w/ Netflix at home.
    I am looking at installing Lx Mint on it, following steps detailed in this thread.
    I did read most of all 49 posts here. Still I am left with a few of doubts/questions:
    – do the touch screen and audio now work, without the need to use an external card for audio ?
    – I’d be willing to actually wipe the internal drive clean to just have a Linux mint boot, instead of a dual or triple boot.  Is it a bad idea in any one experience ? (Apparently at least one OP reported a working touch screen when booting Lx from a live USB, and no touch screen on the same device, after wiping its storage medium clean and installing said Lx distro…)
    Thanks to all.
    -ced

$ printf "%s\n\n" "I like strawberries, therefore I am not a robot."
    $ sed 's/.icrosoft/linux/g' World

Brad
    Participant

I personally would go for something like the Jumper EZbook 3 with dual-core Celeron N3350 on sale for $199 –> http://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_607750.html?wid=21  The price about the same and the performance of the N3350 is the same as the Atom X5-8350.  And you’re probably gonna have a much easier time getting Linux Mint or some other Linux distro running well on the Jumper with an Apollo-Lake N3350 CPU than on a Chuwi with a Cherry-Trail Atom CPU.  While the Jumper does not have touchscreen, it has other advantages. If you have to have touchscreen and can spend more money Chris tested the Hi13 and shows in his video that Manjaro Linux 17 (Xfce desktop) was working with the touchscreen –> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuc6IHQf8K0&t=15s
    Whatever you decide, I would not get the Hi10 or Hi12 unless you know for sure that the touchscreen is working on it.  Assuming touchscreen is a must-have for you.

palito
    Participant

Has anyone tried Feren OS? On their download page(http://ferenos.weebly.com/) they claim it is compatible with Chuwi Hi10 after disabling secure boot. It is based on Linux Mint 18.1. So does that mean that Mint 18.1 is compatible with Chuwi 18.1?

Brad
    Participant

Claiming it boots or the installation succeeds does not necessarily mean that everything works.  Anyway, it’s based on Linux Mint so prob best to investigate how Mint (and it’s Kernel) runs on this device. Feren OS prob is just different UI for Mint with minor changes.

Brad
    Participant

This guy has many things working on his Jumper EZbook 2 (also uses Cherry-Trail Atom X5-Z8300) using the latest Kernel 4.12-rc1
    https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/running-linux-on-the-ezbook-2/page/12/#post-66918 . No trackpad or audio working though (on his EZb2) but maybe the Hi10/Hi12 uses different hardware and drivers.

PS.  Kernel 4.12-rc2 is now just out as of couple days ago. And looks like the final release of upcoming new Ubuntu release will be good for Cherry-Trail devices…
    https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/running-linux-on-the-ezbook-2/page/12/#post-67374

Jerror
    Participant

The Cherry Trail support in the new kernels looks great, but unfortunately I haven’t got video to work with any kernel since 4.8.13 on my Hi10 pro (X5-Z8300). Modesetting sends me right to a black screen. I’ve tried loads of pci and graphics-related kernel parameter tweaks and the only way to boot with video is through nomodeset on the new kernels, while the new intel drivers work fine with the old kernels. My best guess right now is bad EDID.

closest to 4.8.13 I tried was 4.10.1 (arch), no success; also tried 4.2.rc2 (ubuntu) with same error

Brad
    Participant

The Cherry Trail support in the new kernels looks great, but unfortunately I haven’t got video to work with any kernel since 4.8.13 on my Hi10 pro (X5-Z8300). Modesetting sends me right to a black screen. I’ve tried loads of pci and graphics-related kernel parameter tweaks and the only way to boot with video is through nomodeset on the new kernels, while the new intel drivers work fine with the old kernels. My best guess right now is bad EDID. closest to 4.8.13 I tried was 4.10.1 (arch), no success; also tried 4.2.rc2 (ubuntu) with same error

First thing I would do is verify that you have the latest BIOS updates. There have been many different Hi10 versions (via serial numbers) and corresponding BIOS firmware, and also depending if it’s a dual-boot or single-boot Hi10.  I’d also scan the Chuwi forum and ask if anyone else is seeing this same problem.
    http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=83&filter=typeid&typeid=1

el Salmon
    Participant

The Cherry Trail support in the new kernels looks great, but unfortunately I haven’t got video to work with any kernel since 4.8.13 on my Hi10 pro (X5-Z8300). Modesetting sends me right to a black screen. I’ve tried loads of pci and graphics-related kernel parameter tweaks and the only way to boot with video is through nomodeset on the new kernels, while the new intel drivers work fine with the old kernels. My best guess right now is bad EDID. closest to 4.8.13 I tried was 4.10.1 (arch), no success; also tried 4.2.rc2 (ubuntu) with same error

First thing I would do is verify that you have the latest BIOS updates. There have been many different Hi10 versions (via serial numbers) and corresponding BIOS firmware, and also depending if it’s a dual-boot or single-boot Hi10. I’d also scan the Chuwi forum and ask if anyone else is seeing this same problem. http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=83&filter=typeid&typeid=1

I have the same issue. I have installed Debian with kernel 4.9 but newer kernel versions fail always. To update the BIOS is not available in the Hi10 Pro because:

<span style=”color: red;”>To flash bios will erase the product key, so we don’t offer the Hi 10 pro bios in the forum. Besides, to flash bios is risky, it will brick your tablet if your use a incorrect bios. </span>

Source: http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2341

Any workaround is welcome

Jerror
    Participant

I’m glad that 4.9 works! If there’s no fix for this then at least it’s convenient that the last good kernel is LTS. I’m running arch 4.9.30 right now, no problems yet.

There’s not much hope for a BIOS fix. I have the latest version before Chuwi changed the product line.

Brad
    Participant

newer kernel versions fail always.

If you have any chance in getting help with fixing this you need to provide more information. How did it fail?  Do you have dmesg output or any other info that shows what the error is?

Jerror
    Participant

I tried to find something in logs when this first happened a few months back, but iirc there was no indication that anything had gone wrong in the journals. I could even log in (and I think I was able to succesfully run startx) by typing blind, according to the journal. The system didn’t seem to know anything was wrong but the screen was blank as of modesetting during boot (black but backlit).

Has anyone got a battery monitor working? That’s the last, crucial piece of this thing being usable…

Brad
    Participant

I tried to find something in logs when this first happened a few months back, but iirc there was no indication that anything had gone wrong in the journals. I could even log in (and I think I was able to succesfully run startx) by typing blind, according to the journal. The system didn’t seem to know anything was wrong but the screen was blank as of modesetting during boot (black but backlit). Has anyone got a battery monitor working? That’s the last, crucial piece of this thing being usable…

FYI, recently I have heard lots of reports of black screens (or black with just an underscore cursor/prompt) when booting from a Live-USB.  Most of these reports that I have seen lately though were not on Atom Cherry-Trail devices but on Celeron Apollo-Lake devices and using various Linux distro’s and all fairy recent Kernel versions – I think 4.9-4.11, so dunno if this could be your problem, but maybe it’s something you should try? The solution for these non-booting systems was to use the rEFInd boot manager instead of Grub2.  I kinda get the impression that your problem is more about the display/video than a boot-BIOS problem, but who knows.  Good luck.

Brad
    Participant

Ubuntu 17.04 ISO with mainline v4.12-rc4 kernel, RTL8723BS Wifi/BT
    http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com.br/2017/06/interim-ubuntu-1704-iso-with-mainline.html

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 432 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password