Linux on Atom based devices

Linux on Atom based devices

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Linux on Atom based devices

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    BBaker
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience with linux on the hi12?

Yes, there’s a guy @destry on the Linux Mint forum that got it to boot, but hasn’t got WiFi working yet…
    Pic of his tab running –> http://classawebhosting.com/Mint%2018%20on%20Chuwi.jpg
    His discussion thread  is here but it looks like he just used this Chuwi Hi10 install instructions on TechTablets.

His WiFi is not working most likely because of the wifi device used in it (Realtek RTL8723BS) is not supported yet – it’s not part of the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS distro and has not been added yet.  Hence why @Jesus in this thread has included it in his XJubuntu custom distro with patched 4.5.1 Kernel.

Daniél Lecoq
    Participant

I’ve got to triple-boot my X98Plus

How did you do the triple boot? First shrink down the Android partition, make Windows bigger, then shrink the Windows and use the free space for Linux, or?

BBaker
    Participant

Why jumping through hoops to get Linux working on a Cherry-Trail device might not be a good use of time…

Why Atom Cherry-Trail devices blow, esp. for Linux fans

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just shrunk the Android partitions.

Screenshot

I’ve got to triple-boot my X98Plus

How did you do the triple boot? First shrink down the Android partition, make Windows bigger, then shrink the Windows and use the free space for Linux, or?

Guillaume
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry for having taken So long but i had personal issues. I can see that the thread has grown a lot. So I read it all and decided to try xjubuntab from xjesus on my Vi8 Plus (cherry trail 8300). Sadly the live is not booting, I arrive at a black screen. I have tried acpi=off alone and nomodeset alone without luck but when I put both acpi=off and nomodeset (as I was doing for other distros when I was testing), I can get to the Desktop. The problem is that I don’t have Any touch screen working it seemed very very slow. Any clue ?

Thanks for all your work

EDIT: i didn’t managed to boot successfully to the desktop. I tried every parameters I had tried before so that’s a complete mystery.

The error I can see is:

DRM:Intel_bios_init Unable to parse MIPI sequence block v3+

Failed to own the pwm ch IP

<span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>And a few others</span>

BBaker
    Participant

Dunno how helpful this might be for you dual-booting guys but I just tried out this free app called Paragon extFS which allows reading/writing to Linux Ext4 formatted partitions.  I was able to copy video files from my Windows 10 partition to my Linux partition and just play the file from there using VLC.   I know you can read the Windows NTFS part’s from Linux but this allows both read/write from the Windows 10 side of things.
    <h1>Key Features & Benefits</h1>

• Provides fast and transparent access to Ext2 / Ext3 / Ext4 under Windows
    • <span class=”NewFeat”>NEW</span> Read-only support for LVM (Logical Volume Management)
    • <span class=”NewFeat”>NEW</span> Supports the latest Windows 10
    • Run at startup and automount feature
    • Useful tray application and support for safe eject
    • And, it’s easy to install!

<h1>Key Scenarios</h1>

• Import/Export files and folders from/to Ext partitions. For example, if the hard drive is taken from NAS storage and you need to open a Linux partition and copy from it or place a new file there, Paragon ExtFS for Windows eliminates the need to install the hard drive or configure it for network access. Simply connect a hard drive via the eSATA connector or USB-to-SATA adapter to the PC and access your files.
    • Open documents and multimedia directly from Ext2 / Ext3 / Ext4 partitions. If you want to watch movies or open large documents contained on a Linux partition, simply connect the drive directly to the PC to get instant access.

<h1>Supported Operating Systems</h1>

• <span class=”NewFeat”>NEW</span> Windows 10
    • Windows 8.1
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows XP (32 Bit only)
    • Windows 2008 server (32/64 Bit)
    • Windows 2003 server (32/64 Bit
    BBaker
    Participant

@Destry over on the Linux Mint forum says he’s got his Chuwi Hi12 booting on USB with WiFi working.
    I think he’s booting with the latest distro; Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 (which has the 4.4 Kernel).  Have a look…
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=223722&p=1184439#p1184439

[Edit]  Also, be sure to check his TT Linux on Chuwi Hi10 thread here, and his other thread on the LM forum.

Destry
    Participant

@destry over on the Linux Mint forum says he’s got his Chuwi Hi12 booting on USB with WiFi working.
    I think he’s booting with the latest distro; Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 (which has the 4.4 Kernel). Have a look…
    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=223722&p=1184439#p1184439

[Edit] Also, be sure to check his TT Linux on Chuwi Hi10 thread here, and his other thread on the LM forum.

That is correct! I am using the latest distro LM 18 with the 4.4 kernel. However to get the wifi working, I had to do a little work on it that I found right here in this forum thread.. I don’t remember the location of the posts that helped, but here is what I did.

sudo apt-get -y install git

cd
    git clone https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs.git
    cd rtl8723bs
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo reboot 

Booted into Bios/ South Bridge/ LPSS & SCC CONFIGURATION/ SCC SDIO Support = changed acpi to PCI then saved and exit. After reboot, wifi working! Connected and online!

inxi -Fxz still shows card not found even though the wifi is working…

Linking to screenshots and pictures taken with my android phone.

http://classawebhosting.com/Screenshot%20from%202016-07-04%2014-29-13.png
    http://classawebhosting.com/Screenshot%20resolutions.png
    http://classawebhosting.com/IMG_20160704_142633_129.jpg
    http://classawebhosting.com/IMG_20160704_142538_669.jpg
    http://classawebhosting.com/IMG_20160704_142501_394.jpg
    http://classawebhosting.com/IMG_20160704_142453_499.jpg
    http://classawebhosting.com/IMG_20160704_142414_383.jpg

I changed the screen resolution to 1600 x 1024 as the 2160 x 1440 makes everything too small to read on the 12 inch screen.

We all know the rules when modifying equipment from factory specs. Warranty void, you break it, your broken equipment.

Linux Mint on my Chuwi Hi12

BBaker
    Participant

As I mentioned to @destry, I’d recommend you backup all your working HD partitions to an external drive before beginning to change things.  The product Macrium Reflect Free (yes, it’s free!) should be able to create backups for all partitions of a dual-boot/multi-boot system (Windows/Android/Linux) and create bootable recovery (USB) media.  FYI, better safe than sorry.

Tikilou
    Participant

About bios setting ACPI to PCI, i’ve created an issue, and a dev gonna submit a patch about it : https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs/issues/80
    Change this setting cause a crash of android when the system connect to AP Wifi.

Anyway, if you have HiBook or Hi10, purpose your ACPI HID of your Wireless SOC, on this issue, after that the driver gonna recognize the Wifi without change this setting, (And ACPI have better power management/efficient)

BBaker
    Participant

purpose your ACPI HID of your Wireless SOC

@tikilou
    , I have not read ALL of your previous posts.  Did you explain how to do this in a way for people to understand how to do, who do not know as much as you about BIOS and Linux drivers?

Tikilou
    Participant

purpose your ACPI HID of your Wireless SOC

@tikilou, I have not read ALL of your previous posts. Did you explain how to do this in a way for people to understand how to do, who do not know as much as you about BIOS and Linux drivers?

I’ve forget that, sorry !

Dump ACPI Table :

sudo acpidump > acpi.dat

(or take what you want in /sys/firmware/acpi/tables with root user)

Extract ACPI Table :

acpixtract -a acpi.dat

Decompile DSDT :

iasl -d dsdt.dat

In dsdt.dsl (apparently we can found somes things in /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/SSDT* decompiled tables too and use them for correcting dsdt table, juste read it now), search the HID value for your hardware, compare with ACPID of the driver on Windows 10 with official drivers installed (proprierties), look if it use an existant compatible driver, and report it to the developer driver mainteneur of Linux modules kernel cibled.

Most of not working hardware on our tablets (Chuwi, Teclast, Onda, Dell…) have the same problem, ACPI Hardware IDs (HID) are not in database of existing drivers, so Linux Kernel who usually detect hardware with PCI IDs don’t know he can use an existant/compatible driver for them ! We need to report theses missing ACPI Hardware ID.

I’m thinking it’s a problem with the i2c and SDIO controllers too.

For auto correcting and recompile dsdt.dsl to dsdt.aml (apparently it’s possible to manually correcting errors of ACPI DSDT table, and load it on Initramfs boot, i don’t know how to do that but all is here) :

iasl -tc dsdt.dsl

Example with the dsdt for chuwi Hi10 with DualOS bios dumped, extracted, decompiled : http://vavar60.online.fr/share/tablet/chuwi_hi10/Chuwi_hi10-DualOS-dsdt.dsl.txt

“OBDA” is the four letters for identify Realtek HID (Hardware ID) in DSDT part of ACPI table, after research i’ve found this for wifi sdio soc :

Device (RTLW)
                {
                    Name (AHID, "RTL8723")
                    Name (ACID, "RTL8723")
                    Name (_ADR, One)  // _ADR: Address
                    Name (_DEP, Package (0x02)  // _DEP: Dependencies
                    {
                        GPO1, 
                        GPO2
                    })
                    Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
                    {
                        Return (0x0F)
                    }

Method (_RMV, 0, NotSerialized)  // _RMV: Removal Status
                    {
                        Return (Zero)
                    }

Name (_S4W, 0x02)  // _S4W: S4 Device Wake State
                    Name (_S0W, 0x02)  // _S0W: S0 Device Wake State
                    Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)  // _CRS: Current Resource Settings
                    {
                        Name (RBUF, ResourceTemplate ()
                        {
                            GpioInt (Edge, ActiveHigh, ExclusiveAndWake, PullDown, 0x0000,
                                "\\_SB.GPO2", 0x00, ResourceConsumer, ,
                                )
                                {   // Pin list
                                    0x000A
                                }
                            GpioIo (Exclusive, PullNone, 0x0000, 0x0000, IoRestrictionOutputOnly,
                                "\\_SB.GPO1", 0x00, ResourceConsumer, ,
                                )
                                {   // Pin list
                                    0x0034
                                }
                        })
                        Return (RBUF) /* \_SB_.PCI0.SDHB.RTLW._CRS.RBUF */
                    }

Method (APS3, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        If (^^^^GPO1.AVBL == One)
                        {
                            ^^^^GPO1.WLD3 = Zero
                        }
                    }

Method (_PS3, 0, NotSerialized)  // _PS3: Power State 3
                    {
                        {
                            ^^^^GPO1.WLD3 = Zero
                        }
                    }

Method (_PS2, 0, NotSerialized)  // _PS2: Power State 2
                    {
                    }

Method (_PS0, 0, NotSerialized)  // _PS0: Power State 0
                    {
                        {
                            ^^^^GPO1.WLD3 = One
                        }
                    }

Method (APS0, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        {
                            ^^^^GPO1.WLD3 = One
                        }
                    }
                }

AND

Scope (URT1)
            {
                Device (BTH3)
                {
                    Name (_HID, "OBDA8723")  // _HID: Hardware ID
                    Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
                    {
                        Return (0x0F)
                    }

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)  // _CRS: Current Resource Settings
                    {
                        Name (ABUF, ResourceTemplate ()
                        {
                            UartSerialBusV2 (0x0001C200, DataBitsEight, StopBitsOne,
                                0xC0, LittleEndian, ParityTypeEven, FlowControlHardware,
                                0x0020, 0x0020, "\\_SB.PCI0.URT1",
                                0x00, ResourceConsumer, , Exclusive,
                                )
                            GpioIo (Exclusive, PullDefault, 0x0000, 0x0000, IoRestrictionOutputOnly,
                                )
                                {   // Pin list
                                    0x0004
                                }
                                )
                                {   // Pin list
                                    0x0008
                                }
                            GpioInt (Edge, ActiveLow, ExclusiveAndWake, PullDown, 0x0000,
                                "\\_SB.GPO0", 0x00, ResourceConsumer, ,
                                )
                                {   // Pin list
                                    0x005A
                                }
                        })
                        Name (WBUF, ResourceTemplate ()
                        {
                            UartSerialBusV2 (0x0001C200, DataBitsEight, StopBitsOne,
                                0xC0, LittleEndian, ParityTypeEven, FlowControlHardware,
                                0x0020, 0x0020, "\\_SB.PCI0.URT1",
                                0x00, ResourceConsumer, , Exclusive,
                                )
                                )
                                {   // Pin list
                                    0x0004
                                }
                                )
                                {   // Pin list
                                    0x0008
                                }
                            GpioInt (Edge, ActiveLow, ExclusiveAndWake, PullDown, 0x0000,
                                "\\_SB.GPO0", 0x00, ResourceConsumer, ,
                                )
                                {   // Pin list
                                    0x005A
                                }
                        })
                        If (OSYS == 0x07DF)
                        {
                            Return (WBUF) /* \_SB_.PCI0.URT1.BTH3._CRS.WBUF */
                        }

Return (ABUF) /* \_SB_.PCI0.URT1.BTH3._CRS.ABUF */
                    }
                }
            }

Then i’ve returned to the dev of RTL8723bs drivers this part, who contain the HID. And now, he gonna purpose a new patch for support the Hi10 tablet with SDIO setting in bios configured to “ACPI”. 🙂

We have to do the same way for all hardware not actually supported, research, report, test. Then finally, later, Linux Kernel gonna include theses patchs.

I’m not a developer, and before have research for it, i’ve don’t know anything about ACPI table, so everybody can help about it. 🙂

Example with Bosch sensor for rotate screen, actually already supported by Linux kernel with “BOSCH bma2x2 accelerometer driver” project, but you can look inside the driver source code, there is not entry about ACPI HID : https://github.com/BoschSensortec/Linux_Kernel_Drivers/blob/master/drivers/input/misc/bma2x2.c

Ps : i’m giving the best now, but i’m in vacation now, i have a girlfriend, and we gonna travel around the world, wwoofing, etc, so i can’t be active like that anymore, but i’m sure this community, gonna work on all of that and fix theses problem soon. 😉

Dax89
    Participant

Hi guys!

I’m new here, but I have followed all topics related to Cherry Trail tablet issues for months (especially this topic and the Linux Mint on Hi10 one), I own a Chuwi Vi10 Ultimate and it seems that those tables shares the same issues (Wifi, Sound, Touch and Battery).

I have worked much more with the touch screen issues: searching on internet I have found the some people have found the datasheet for ChipOne IC88xx and an user called SergK have developed a polling based driver for those touch screens, development is stopped for two months because there was some issues about waking up the screen.

I have developed an ACPI, Interrupt based driver from scratch based on those informations (link), now I’m able to detect the number of fingers on screen and move the cursor, even the capacitive button is detected (but not handled), I’m testing it on Antergos with kernel 4.6.3.

I’m a developer, but this is my first (useful) driver, so forgive any trivial errors in its source code 😀

I share the code here because it might be useful to other tablet owners (Vi10, Hi10 and other brands too)

Tikilou
    Participant

Hi guys! I’m new here, but I have followed all topics related to Cherry Trail tablet issues for months (especially this topic and the Linux Mint on Hi10 one), I own a Chuwi Vi10 Ultimate and it seems that those tables shares the same issues (Wifi, Sound, Touch and Battery). I have worked much more with the touch screen issues: searching on internet I have found the some people have found the datasheet for ChipOne IC88xx and an user called SergK have developed a polling based driver for those touch screens, development is stopped for two months because there was some issues about waking up the screen. I have developed an ACPI, Interrupt based driver from scratch based on those informations (link), now I’m able to detect the number of fingers on screen and move the cursor, even the capacitive button is detected (but not handled), I’m testing it on Antergos with kernel 4.6.3. I’m a developer, but this is my first (useful) driver, so forgive any trivial errors in its source code ? I share the code here because it might be useful to other tablet owners (Vi10, Hi10 and other brands too)

Hi ! Welcome Dax89 ! 🙂

Thanks for your contribution, hope your gonna successfully write drivers ! 🙂

We need people like your, and i’m thinking about one thing… What do you think about make a pot ? Every people interested give somes £/€/$ if he can and are interested, then we buy a specific tablet for that pot, and gift it to a developper who want develop free linux drivers for it and report patchs/commit for the linux kernel. 🙂

I’m ready to donate 10/20€ about Hi10 Single/DualOS support ! Maybe somes others people are interested ? 🙂

Guillaume
    Participant

Yes good idea. Xjesus, your  xjubuntab gives me an error with the “mipi sequence block v3+” which is required by my screen (vi8 plus). I have read here and there that the patch was included in must recent kernels and I thought that your release had one of those, the 4.4.4 if I’m not mistaken. Do you know what I could do? Thanks in advance.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/intel-gfx/msg76123.html

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar