Linux on Atom based devices

Linux on Atom based devices

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Linux on Atom based devices

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 297 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

were you able to enter BIOS setup with the “tidbits” from above?

I was in BIOS but changing the Boot Sequence, so that it boots from USB into Linux instead of ignoring the USB stick in favor of Android of MS Win10, remains impossible – because BIOS won’t recognize +/-

I didn’t see anything in the tidbits you shared that addressed that – but I appreciate having that info just the same.

Switching between Android & MS Win10 was already working fine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting suggestion here

http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-94-1-1.html

Except that I see no “Boot Override” option in BIOS … sigh.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Moved this to a more appropriate thread:

Linux Mint on Chuwi Hi10 & Hi12 Tablets

BBaker
    Participant

I updated with some debugging tips for audio which might help. See my posts in this thread for collecting info and turning on audio logging… https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=227346&p=1200397#p1200184

Jayrathore
    Participant

Thanks to sharing ideas you may easily use of this process and get information android rooting how to root android phone

Franzli
    Participant

Having had Linux running more or less on a Toshiba Click Mini (another Baytrail Atom device), I found the most annoying thing to be the inability to properly control screen brightness, which ate away the battery much faster than necessary. Instead of the 10-12h battery life on Windows, this left one with around 6h at maximum brightness (there are xrandr ways of making the screen darker, but that’s only for viewing comfort and doesn’t actually decrease the energy usage). I used to use sparkylinux, which did a fairly good job, and the most recent kernels (last one I tried was some variant of 4.6 I think).

I don’t have the Toshiba anymore, but am still interested in the progress of Linux on these chipsets. Could anyone tell me if they got linux running on another Baytrail or Cherrytrail tablet with working brightness control?

Tbird
    Participant

Anyone have experience with Onda Obook 11 (64gb,4gb) ?

It has the same chipset – cherrytrail z8300 as most tablet pcs, so those drivers supposed to work on it too no? cause I can’t manage to get sound or wifi or work… even tried xjesus os and pinguyos iso with builtin drivers.. any ideas?

BBaker
    Participant

Anyone have experience with Onda Obook 11 (64gb,4gb) ?

It has the same chipset – cherrytrail z8300 as most tablet pcs, so those drivers supposed to work on it too no? cause I can’t manage to get sound or wifi or work… even tried xjesus os and pinguyos iso with builtin drivers.. any ideas?

Have you determined what is your WiFi device, in Windows? To start, You’ll have to collect information from running various commands in the Linux Terminal window:

inxi -Fxz
    rfkill list all
    iwconfig

Tbird
    Participant

On windows it’s Broadcom 802.11n wireless sdio adapter… I’ve deleted my Linux partition but can you tell me if it’s worth trying again based on the windows driver?

Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

bbaker is more on top of this than am I – but you might try Fedora 25 Alpha with Kernel 4.8 while you’re experimenting.

Kernel 4.8 is supposed to include a bunch of tweaks for the MS Surface that may benefit other tablets.

Following this you could test it without loading it on your HDD:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB

Pycon
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve tried to run XJUbunTab ( latest build 07/09/2016 ) on my Mediacom W810 ( italian version of Chuwi Vi8 ) but without success 🙁

To let it boot, the only way is to modify GRUB.CFG :

from…

linux    /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=${iso_path} quiet splash —

to…

linux    /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=${iso_path} video=VGA-1:800x1280e —

The strange thing is that for let other distros boot ( tried Mint, Ubuntu itself, Fedora, Fedlet, … ) the string must be :

video=VGA-1:1280x800e

while on XJUbunTab the values must be inverted. So… This is the only way to let XJU to boot but in effect, it doesn’t start. I see only the mouse ( that continues to move all around the screen if I move it, so it’s alive ) and a box bottom in the screen ( based on some screen shots of XJU, I suppose it’s the keyboard ). Well, at this point, the tablet hangs. No other things, no differences… Simply at this point, I cannot see anything else ( waiting 1 to 20 minutes ). Any help will be appreciated 🙁

BBaker
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve tried to run XJUbunTab ( latest build 07/09/2016 ) on my Mediacom W810 ( italian version of Chuwi Vi8 ) but without success ?

To let it boot, the only way is to modify GRUB.CFG :

from…

linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=${iso_path} quiet splash —

to…

linux /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=${iso_path} video=VGA-1:800x1280e —

The strange thing is that for let other distros boot ( tried Mint, Ubuntu itself, Fedora, Fedlet, … ) the string must be :

video=VGA-1:1280x800e

while on XJUbunTab the values must be inverted. So… This is the only way to let XJU to boot but in effect, it doesn’t start. I see only the mouse ( that continues to move all around the screen if I move it, so it’s alive ) and a box bottom in the screen ( based on some screen shots of XJU, I suppose it’s the keyboard ). Well, at this point, the tablet hangs. No other things, no differences… Simply at this point, I cannot see anything else ( waiting 1 to 20 minutes ). Any help will be appreciated ?

If it boots on Ubuntu then stick with that. You’ll probably have to build the WiFi driver. Is it the Realtek rtl8723bs?. It uses the a Silead touchscreen device?…
    https://github.com/jwrdegoede/gslX68X

kraut
    Participant

hey!

anybody tried/had success in installing ubuntu 16.04 on a voyo a1 plus? i managed to get a dual boot (ubuntu on usb-stick) “working”.. BUT Wifi is not working (broadcom..) and no battery status is shown..

best,

kraut

BBaker
    Participant

hey!

anybody tried/had success in installing ubuntu 16.04 on a voyo a1 plus? i managed to get a dual boot (ubuntu on usb-stick) “working”.. BUT Wifi is not working (broadcom..) and no battery status is shown..

best,

kraut

What does your ‘dmesg’ output look like? Does it have anything like below? Maybe grep your dmesg output for the string “brcm”. Run this right after starting up…
    dmesg | grep -i brcm

[ 395.962397] brcmf_sdio_drivestrengthinit: No SDIO Drive strength init done for chip 43430 rev 0 pmurev 24
    [ 395.963219] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
    [ 395.964186] brcmfmac_sdio mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin failed with error -2
    [ 396.969792] brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail timeout (1000000): clkctl 0x50
    [ 397.977803] brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail timeout (1000000): clkctl 0x50

kraut
    Participant

hey bbaker,

thanks for the reply…

the output of   “dmesg | grep -i brcm” is zero…

the hardware does not get recognized by ubuntu.. “lspci” does not show any wlan-device..

i also tried ndiswrapper, but it states that the hardware is not present..

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 297 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password