Linux on Atom based devices

Linux on Atom based devices

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Linux on Atom based devices

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 310 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Xjesus, great to see you are tinkering a bit with the live usb. It would certainly allow more people to test out the disto without worrying about screwing up their os installs.

I was doing some more experiments yesterday. I made a bootable SD card but try as a may, I could not get the bios to see it. I also tried to boot it by holding shift and restarting windows but no go either. It seems common that these tablets won’t boot from an sd card. I also burned a live dvd but I could no way, no how, boot from that either. I could see the drive and use it perfectly after I booted from the usb live u drive.

I also tried to get it to shut down without a hard power off with the cdrom connected to see if that was the issue, but it still fails to shut down @#&*.

Max

Anonymous
    Inactive

Congrats Massimo! We are getting it!

Uploaded?

Please note download link on XJUbunTAB desn’t work properly!

I have a question, how could you create these custom ISOs?
    I want to create Ubuntu 16.04 Unity 8 + MIR with last stable Grub version in order to test it on Teclast x98 Air 3G.

Your ISOs boots and works, but if I try to install a standard Ubuntu 14.04 Beta iso (with the special UEFI 32 file) i cannot install it, it gives me Grub error..

pinguy
    Participant

Congrats Massimo! We are getting it!

Uploaded?

Please note download link on XJUbunTAB desn’t work properly!

I have a question, how could you create these custom ISOs?
    I want to create Ubuntu 16.04 Unity 8 + MIR with last stable Grub version in order to test it on Teclast x98 Air 3G.

Your ISOs boots and works, but if I try to install a standard Ubuntu 14.04 Beta iso (with the special UEFI 32 file) i cannot install it, it gives me Grub error..

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pinguy-os/files/ISO_Builder/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Guys, I think if the next ISO will have Grub2 updated to the last version I could easily automate boot on Xubuntu.

I can suggest to implement in the ISO also uTouch for Touchscreen Calibration!!

I’ve started a topic also on XDA, in Teclast 98 Air section..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Massimo. I’m busy right now but I’ll install utouch in the next release.

Please try PinguyBuilder because it’s quite easy to create your own distro based on mine or any other.

I don’t have high hopes on Unity/MIR after so long time in development and it still looks like it’s missing a lot of things. XFCE has been around for a lot of time and it’s growing from a always stable base. For low-spec hardware like our tablet will always be the best for desktop (mouse/keyboard) in my opinion. Unity still has a long way to get stable first, and then later lagless and customizable. The move from GTK/Gnome 2 to GTK/Gnome 3 from a user point of view I still don’t really understand it.

I hope we find out what’s the exact problem with GRUB and how to make the boot process easier, but again I don’t have much time now to test.

Hopefully on XDA we can get more helping minds 😉

Guys, I think if the next ISO will have Grub2 updated to the last version I could easily automate boot on Xubuntu. I can suggest to implement in the ISO also uTouch for Touchscreen Calibration!! I’ve started a topic also on XDA, in Teclast 98 Air section..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Massimo. I’m busy right now but I’ll install utouch in the next release. Please try PinguyBuilder because it’s quite easy to create your own distro based on mine or any other. I don’t have high hopes on Unity/MIR after so long time in development and it still looks like it’s missing a lot of things. XFCE has been around for a lot of time and it’s growing from a always stable base. For low-spec hardware like our tablet will always be the best for desktop (mouse/keyboard) in my opinion. Unity still has a long way to get stable first, and then later lagless and customizable. The move from GTK/Gnome 2 to GTK/Gnome 3 from a user point of view I still don’t really understand it. I hope we find out what’s the exact problem with GRUB and how to make the boot process easier, but again I don’t have much time now to test. Hopefully on XDA we can get more helping minds ?

Guys, I think if the next ISO will have Grub2 updated to the last version I could easily automate boot on Xubuntu. I can suggest to implement in the ISO also uTouch for Touchscreen Calibration!! I’ve started a topic also on XDA, in Teclast 98 Air section..

Yep thats why I’ve created the topic on XDA:

Look the second post, I will upload the ISOs as soon as I got time!I don’t have SourceForge, I will use Mega.co.nz that it is really fast. I’ve integrated some stuff useful to set the OS. Ubuntu 16.04 upgrated to 6/04/16 use “grub-common_2.02~beta2-36ubuntu2_amd64” so the fix for UEFI 32 will work!

Anonymous
    Inactive

XJX already had that Grub version since quite some time. The solution hopefully comes with the last PinguyBuilder that I still haven’t tried to make a full install in the tablet.

I have to try this: <b>Installation. Must locate /boot on the eMMC and not the SD card, because the UEFI does not support booting from SD card. Need to resize NTFS to make space for /boot. </b>

Tonight I’ll be uploading a new release with some of your suggestions/ideas:

• xinput-calibrator
    • NDisGTK + Windows WiFi drivers from Realtek
    • Unity8 MIR
    • I have disabled auto-login to be able to select XFCE/Unity/MIR
    • Some cosmetic changes and internal changes. CHANGED MAIN PANEL TO HORIZONTAL AND DROPPED DOCKY
    • Added Quicksynergy

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s just uploaded 🙂

@pinguy
    , I don’t know why no matter what graphical interface I choose it only logs into the XFCE session.

Could you please have a look at this? You can try 16.04.08 release that doesn’t auto-login. Live user is “usu” and blank password.

I suppose that once it’s permanently installed it should work fine, I’ll try later. But in live session I would like users to be able to select the GUI/session they prefer.

I’ve open a post in your forums: http://forum.pinguyos.com/Thread-Not-possible-to-choose-Multiple-GUI-sessions-on-live-install

winston smith
    Participant

Chuwi hi10 here lates build doent boot here, just a black screen after selecting boot live. XJ-16.04-2016.03.21 Sad, was really hoping to boot with a working wifi chip !!!

Debian 8 386/xfce boot and install succesfully on windows partitions on chuwi vi10. Wifi and touchscreen not working. Wiki could work with a realtek driver in non-free depository. After that, got lazy. Touchscreen is a goodix and there is source for a driver. google : goodix touscreen linux/debian/ubuntu. Not sure it can make it.

By the way, xfce runs great on it. No lags, no memory issue [used memory doesn’t move above 650 mo].

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m still working with WiFi patches…

https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs/issues/61#issuecomment-207862115

and I found out that one user (speculatrix) has some good kernels ready for Baytrail chipset and working WiFi in 4.4.6 . After that there has been a kernel regression 🙁

Who wants to try to install his 4.4.6 kernel? (only for 32bits distros). It’s already patched and you only need to follow an easy guide to install the WiFi driver

http://www.zaurus.org.uk/download/toshiba_click_mini_l9w/

I’m having trouble with my Virtualbox machine and my tablet has 64bits XJX installed, so it’ll take me quite some time…

Thijs S.
    Participant

I am following this forum with great enjoyment. thanks for the updates and works all!
    Looking forward for a final “here you have a iso with everything preconfigured” to make everything work on chuwi hi10

Thanks guys!

BBaker
    Participant

Has anyone ever tried Remix OS on an Atom tablet?  It’s based on the Android-X86 distro.
    http://www.jide.com/remixos

Anonymous
    Inactive

It would be interesting to try it or some hacked version like: http://forum.xda-developers.com/remix/remix-os/remix-os-pc-hacked-edition-ota-v2-0-201-t3345968

Also, I heard this other project with a more open license and specialized in Intel Atom:

http://www.phoenixos.com/download_x86

The problem is that you need Windows to install it and I removed my Windows partition.

Goran Sevo
    Participant

Thank you for your fantastic work guys!

I have a cheap Teclast 8″ dual OS tablet (sort of, branded as VIVAX, but it says Teclast in UEFI coredump). Tried two dozen various linux images, and the only way to get proper boot and screen output used to be over HDMI. Until yesterday that is, when I discovered that replacing “quiet splash” with “nomodeset” it actually boots up all the way through and outputs to internal tablet’s display. One serious downside is that resolution remains 800×600 and cannot be changed with xrandr as it doesnt recognize type of display (tried VGA-0 throug 2, LVDS1 and everything else that came accross my mind).

Previously I tried to install Intel graphic drivers but it wasn’t working. Haven’t tried after this recent discovery.

Any thoughts how can I get proper output working on internal display (1280×800) ? Thanks heaps!

PS dmesg indicate EFI VGA….. and fb0 is VGA

BBaker
    Participant

Remix OS’s supported devices page says the Teclast X98 Air3 is supported and that is a Bay Trail Z3735F tablet.
    It also says the Cube i7 is supported, a Core M 5Y10 tablet.  No doubt there are others that work. Cherry Trail Atom would be great if it works.

http://www.jide.com/remixos/devices

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar