Linux on Atom based devices

Linux on Atom based devices

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Linux on Atom based devices

This topic contains 296 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  jaranya500 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 297 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My first attempt at a Live persistent install with  unetbootin was unsuccessful, sort of. It booted fine and I created a test folder, then tried to soft shutdown with the keep files option ticked. The drive was flashing but then the same endless spinning circle as before. Maybe I didn’t wait long enough I seem to remember that it can take a while. I hard powered down and tried a reboot. This time it went right through to the shell initialization but threw a virtual box error and hung. It is progress though, as any previous attempt froze at the spinning boot-up circle. I am going to try again and leave the keep files unticked, as I already should have persistence.

Update: Well that didn’t work either 🙁 It seems that when it tries to shutdown everything goes ok until…..FAILED unmount cdrom.mount.

I think that when it boots it says it can’t mount cdrom (no cdrom..lol) and it makes sense that it would fail when it tries to unmount it.

I may try a CD-RW in my USB cdrom drive and boot it from that to see if it will shutdown then! Persistence may pay off, pardon the pun 🙂

Max

Anonymous

UPDATED some new infos:

https://xjesus.net/xjubuntu/xjubuntab-tablet-customizedcustomizable-distro-based-on-xubuntu-14-04-64-bits/

32 bits release is uploading.

Max, you should already be able to install it. I have tried on an USB drive and it gets installed. The problem is later I have to manually tell GRUB where to load it. In my case I have to type at the GRUB prompt:

linux (hd1,msdos5)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb5
    initrd (hd1,msdos5)/initrd.img
    boot

You can discover what you need to type following the guide in
    https://github.com/Manouchehri/vi8/blob/master/Ubuntu_instructions.md

I hope @pinguy can solve this issue in PinguyBuilder or guide us to workaround it.

Pinguy I'm attaching the grub.cfg I got on my pendrive installed. I think it's missing the correct paths. In the installation I selected to install grub on the pendrive and everything went all right, but when I boot with that pendrive I get the grub command line like this picture:
    https://goo.gl/photos/EKnaRRiU54SQKU7J6

Then if I manually the commands above I can boot. With hd0 if only the pendrive connected, or with hd1 if I connect one external hard disk where I booted the live installation...

Anonymous

Here is the grub.cfg

http://pastebin.com/50LTxWZG

Anonymous

Thanks xjesus.

I see what you are saying, but I really don’t want a GRUB install/extra bootloader. What I want is a USB live drive that has persistance, or even better on an SD card in the slot. I have the same thing with Lighthouse 64 on my HP Tx1000, and Puppy Linux on my eeePc 701, both are on sd cards and when I want linux, I just select the sd card from the bios boot menu. No GRUB, no extra bootloader. If I install grub I would have to have a keyboard connected to the tab to select OS. Not ideal for a tablet!

Max

Massimo
    Participant

I’ve installed Android with repartitioning using Intel Manufactoring Flash Tool.

After this, I tried to install “XJTab64-16.04.01-dist.iso” erasing all partitions, not EFI of course.

After reboot, I got this error:

How could I solve it? Teclast x98 Air 3G uses UEFI 32 Bit..

Ultrabook: Acer S3-391 Win 10 x64 + Deepin 15.1.1 Smartphone: Oneplus TWO A2003 Tablet: Teclast X98 Air 64Gb 3G (C5J6, Uefi Bios 2.02) Dual Boot Windows 10 ITA + Android 5 Lollipop By Mirek190 eReader: Kindle Paperwhite

Anonymous

Hi Massimo, please try installing the 32 bits version: 16.04 32 bits

Or just copy the 32bits EFI file following instructions like https://github.com/Manouchehri/vi8/blob/master/Ubuntu_instructions.md

I’ve installed Android with repartitioning using Intel Manufactoring Flash Tool. After this, I tried to install “XJTab64-16.04.01-dist.iso” erasing all partitions, not EFI of course. After reboot, I got this error: <noscript></noscript>How could I solve it? Teclast x98 Air 3G uses UEFI 32 Bit..

Anonymous

I think you better install it on the SD card or the USB pendrive. And you have the same result. You can go to the Teclast X98+ BIOS with power + Vol + and then select it in both cases.

Also you might have a look at this:

gummiboot https://plus.google.com/+AlexanderPinegin/posts/G9uevhfvR6t

Thanks xjesus. I see what you are saying, but I really don’t want a GRUB install/extra bootloader. What I want is a USB live drive that has persistance, or even better on an SD card in the slot. I have the same thing with Lighthouse 64 on my HP Tx1000, and Puppy Linux on my eeePc 701, both are on sd cards and when I want linux, I just select the sd card from the bios boot menu. No GRUB, no extra bootloader. If I install grub I would have to have a keyboard connected to the tab to select OS. Not ideal for a tablet! Max

Anonymous

Auto-rotate is not working yet and once you launch it, then you can’t rotate the screen with the other buttons. I’m removing the auto-rotate button until I get it to work properly.

Massimo, did you try the 16.04 distro or the 14.04?? From what I’ve seen the 14.04 distro has a much less complicated boot script and way less features installed. Maybe try an older version of the 14.04 distro? Xjesus is the man!! All you need to do is pray for a working version and he delivers. His effort here has been super. Thanks again for your work xjesus. Did you see that glitch? on the downloads page where 1700+ people from china downloaded your distro in one day??!! Teclast…lol Max

Hi, I’ve tested some ISOs from:

I think I need to use Windisk32 instead of Rufus. Another thing, maybe I need to change my Bios, because my tab comes with a dual boot bios (yes, double OS is manage by Bios..)..Maybe I need to flash single boot Bios! Edit: Guys, with a dual boot tablet you need to boot into Windows partition, after this you can shutdown and boot from an Ubuntu bootable pendrive with no problem! <noscript></noscript>I’ve tested XJTab64-16.04.01-dist.iso, and I have inverted touchscreen: when I touch in the top left, mouse move in the bottom right side! MicroSD reader work properly. Display rotation doesn’t. Wifi doesn’t work. Mobile network (3G) doesn’t work too! I attach my lshw command output.

Anonymous

If someone wants to try the kernels in the ASUS google drive.

These kernels are working on other tablets like ASUS Transformer

Also 4.6rc2 is out here

Massimo
    Participant

Jesus Manuel I cannot download your 32 bit ISO..Download starts but after some minutes stops..

Edit: is it possible to upgrade Grub2 to 2.02 Beta2-29ubuntu 0.2?

x64 ISOs works but we just need the newest version of Grub2 to add UEFI 32 Bit patch!!

Ultrabook: Acer S3-391 Win 10 x64 + Deepin 15.1.1 Smartphone: Oneplus TWO A2003 Tablet: Teclast X98 Air 64Gb 3G (C5J6, Uefi Bios 2.02) Dual Boot Windows 10 ITA + Android 5 Lollipop By Mirek190 eReader: Kindle Paperwhite

Anonymous

I am downloading it to try… But it looks Ok.

It has a newer Grub (2.02-beta2.36), but I just realized the 32 bits release Grub-EFI-ia32 wasn’t installed. I’ll upload tonight a corrected release with some other minor updates.

In the 64 bits release I’ve also changed the Grub-Efi from 64 to 32. Hopefully then everything works perfect on these tablets.

Massimo
    Participant

I am downloading it to try… But it looks Ok. It has a newer Grub (2.02-beta2.36), but I just realized the 32 bits release Grub-EFI-ia32 wasn’t installed. I’ll upload tonight a corrected release with some other minor updates. In the 64 bits release I’ve also changed the Grub-Efi from 64 to 32. Hopefully then everything works perfect on these tablets.

Oh wow man!

I’ve installed your Xubuntu, I don’t remember the release..

But I can say today I can boot into Xubuntu. I boot from the Live usb, during Grub booting I press “C” and write each of the following command:

#linux (hd1,gpt2)/vmlinuz root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
    #initrd (hd1,gpt2)/initrd.img
    #boot

We have Android Device Tree for Teclast x98 Air 3G tablets, could you merge drivers?

Edit: how to merge this fix?

🙂

pinguy
    Participant

Update info about PinguyBuilder: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AntoniNorman/posts/DvkJZGiEHev
    Also google /sys/firmware/efi/fw_platform_size It may come in handy.

Anonymous

Congrats Massimo! We are getting it!

In the releases I’m uploading right now it’s installed the last PinguyBuilder and hopefully solves this hassle.

Merging drivers from Android… Hope someone here has the knowledge to do it, I don’t. As far as I know Lollipop uses kernel 3.16 and things might be quite different.

If you want to patch, it’s not that easy and I don’t know how to do it. Daniel some posts before explained a little how to do that.

Oh wow man! I’ve installed your Xubuntu, I don’t remember the release.. But I can say today I can boot into Xubuntu using: #linux (hd1,gpt2)/vmlinuz root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 #initrd (hd1,gpt2)/initrd.img #boot We have Android Device Tree for Teclast x98 Air 3G tablets, could you merge drivers? Edit: how to merge this fix?

:)<noscript>:)</noscript>[/quote]

Anonymous

Thanks a lot @pinguy!!! We’ll see if this helps.

One question: Why can’t I login to Unity in the live USB? I can logout from Xubuntu, select “Ubuntu” but it drives me to “Xubuntu” again…

(In my distro you need to enter user “usu” and blank password to try it by the way)

Another question: How can I select the default graphical interface? For example if I want to login in Ubuntu by default instead of Xubuntu in the live USB.

Update info about PinguyBuilder: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AntoniNorman/posts/DvkJZGiEHev Also google /sys/firmware/efi/fw_platform_size It may come in handy.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password