Ezbook 3 Pro

Ezbook 3 Pro

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Ezbook 3 Pro

This topic contains 72 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Brad 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author

sportnok
    Participant

Chris’ latest review posted yesterday.

Just thought I’d start a thread on the Pro, to try and bring all the comments together. Had mine a few days now and have to say its very good.

It doesn’t have ‘ac’ wifi, and the charger has a relatively short cable. The RTL8723BU wifi/bluetooth module has problems with the wifi when the bluetooth is in use, a well known problem with this unit, wifi is fine when used on its own.

As far as Linux is concerned, it would appear not to work but I’m sure in time this will change.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Thanks for the post. Well know any with any Wireless single band 2.4Ghz, BT runs on the same band so it effects the speed. Why I use a Logitech mouse instead since the Atom days.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast X6 Pro, X4 and UMIDIGI S3 Pro
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

Andrez
    Participant

Hi guys. I’m keen on getting one of these but would like to a little more clarity on linux compatibility before I pull the trigger.
    According to the link below the Chuwi Lapbook 14.1 (which has a near identical chipset) boots Ubuntu just fine. Seems like the trick is to enter bios and specify OS type as “Linux”:

“The first thing you’ll have to do is to press Esc while starting the laptop to enter the BIOS / UEFI “Aptio Setup Utility”, go to the Boot menu, and change from “Windows” to “Linux” for “OS Slelect” (sic.) option.
    If you don’t do that, you’ll only have a cursor on the top left of the display when you boot Linux from the USB flash drive.”

I’d be very grateful if somebody could confirm whether or not the above solution works on the Ezbook 3 Pro.

Thanks!!
    Link: http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-3571-1-1.html

Chris G
    Keymaster

No Linux option in the bios, but Android. I tried it and all options but still that cursor on the top left stuck on booting. Nothing else but to power it off.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

sportnok
    Participant

Will Jide Remix work then if there is an android option?

Brad
    Participant

Someone worked through the issues getting Linux running on the Chuwi Hi13 (has the same Celeron N3450 CPU).
    I am pretty sure a similar procedure will work for the EZbook 3 provided the existing (or future upgraded) BIOS supports the USB booting.
    See my post here…
    https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/updating-bios-and-installing-linux/

sportnok
    Participant

Still finding the touchpad struggles with two finger scrolling on websites, repeatedly moving In the opposite direction before moving in the right direction. What settings are people using for mouse and touchpad? My mouse speed is set at the third of the ten positions, touchpad at low sensitivity.

Brad
    Participant

…The RTL8723BU wifi/bluetooth module has problems with the wifi when the bluetooth is in use, a well known problem with this unit, wifi is fine when used on its own. As far as Linux is concerned, it would appear not to work but I’m sure in time this will change.

Yep, it’s been verified to work on Lubuntu 17.04, but you’ll have to jump through some hoops…
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/jumper-ezbook-3-pro-can't-boot-from-usb-most-of-common-linux-distros-4175605766/page2.html#post5714533

Andrez
    Participant

Brilliant, thanks very much guys! With Linux confirmed as working I will definitely be grabbing one for myself soon.

@chris, thanks very much for the great reviews! The content you’re creating here really is a great resource for those of us looking to pickup a bargain while dodging the lemons. I honestly mean no disrespect to you or your website as your reviews certainly do come across as entirely impartial, but out of interest what is your affiliation  (if any) with Jumper? Reason I ask is I noticed screenshots (as well as a picture of you) from your review are used on their product page in the official Aliexpress Jumper store – Is this with your consent? Do they sponsor your website in any way?
    Thanks

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Jumper-EZbook-Pro-13-3-laptop-Intel-Apollo-N3450-6G-DDR3-ultrabook-Windows-10-ultrabook-IPS/32794953783.html

Brad
    Participant

Brilliant, thanks very much guys! With Linux confirmed as working I will definitely be grabbing one for myself soon. @chris, thanks very much for the great reviews! The content you’re creating here really is a great resource for those of us looking to pickup a bargain while dodging the lemons. I honestly mean no disrespect to you or your website as your reviews certainly do come across as entirely impartial, but out of interest what is your affiliation (if any) with Jumper? Reason I ask is I noticed screenshots (as well as a picture of you) from your review are used on their product page in the official Aliexpress Jumper store – Is this with your consent? Do they sponsor your website in any way? Thanks Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Jumper-EZbook-Pro-13-3-laptop-Intel-Apollo-N3450-6G-DDR3-ultrabook-Windows-10-ultrabook-IPS/32794953783.html

The two other Ubuntu flavors that I would recommend for their memory lean-ness and processing speed are Xubuntu (Ubuntu with XFCE desktop) and Ubuntu MATE desktop.  I’m pretty sure the same procedure he used for Lubuntu (Ubuntu with LXDE desktop) will work for those as well.  btw, I was kinda surprised that he said he was a Linux “newbie” and was able to get it working… impressive given the hoops he hand to jump through.  I guess he just is a good follower of step by step directions.

Ulric
    Participant

Hi guys!

I am UoF in LinuxQuestions and I was able to make Lubuntu 17.04 runnning on EZB3 PRO. I am using it atm.

@brad: yes, I am good step by step follower, and I must admit, that I have learned a lot during my struggle to make it work.

I picked Lubuntu, because it isn’t resources hungry. When the bare system starts to X, process manager shows 259 MB of RAM used. I would like to know, how much would that be with xubuntu or ubuntu/mate, so if anyone of you installs it, let us know, please.

What works (out of the box):

• audio and video playback in HD from youtube (tested with this favourite song of mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8fFVOoqepc )
    • bluetooth kinda – I was given a free bt mouse from Jumper (maybe like compensaton for long waiting for the batch with ssd extension slot) and after pairing and setting it is pointing device, it just works, although it isn’t good mouse, it has problem to work on white desk, where my other wireless mouse to usb has no problems at all), but I was unable to send photo from my phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro) to EZB via bt, but it pairs without problems. I made a test of wifi speed with this mouse connected and disconnected, and I didn’t experience speed drop as someone suggested.

What doesn’t work  and needs further examination:

• touchpad – it doesn’t move cursor at all, instead it clicks (taps). I installed xinput and gpointing-device-settings (further g-p-s), and when I run g-p-s in terminal as root I get lots  of  X server errors – Bad Atom, bad Atom parameter in terminal. In gui of g-p-s and in xinput is my usb A4Tech mouse listed twice (don’t know why – maybe one id is reciever and the other is the mouse?) and CyPS/2 Cypress Trackpad. If I press Try button in g-p-s I get segmentation fault (it tries to allocate 80GB of ram, lol). It will need some command line tweaks for sure, but to me it doesn’t look like  impossible, to make it work.
    • functional keys for audio: fn +F1, fn+F2, fn+F3 – volume up, volume down work, mute works too, but as soon as you mute, you are unable to unmute with any of the keys and must do it with mouse in audio panel in taskbar – again i think it’s matter of settings.

I have not tested the camera yet.

atm I am awaiting SSD and usb3 hub with 100GB LAN support, especially the SSD should be huge boost to performance <3 and I won’t be limited with 64 gb of disk space for dual boot.

anyone feel free to ask, but please be patient with me, I still consider myself to be new to linux and moreover I am a family guy with 6month old daughter and I can’t fiddle with notebook all night long as when I was student. ;))

Brad
    Participant

@ulric, looks like your results with Linux are similar now to using the Chuwi Lapbook w/N3450…
    https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/how-to-get-linux-working-uefi-flash-needed/#post-67417

Ulric
    Participant

update for touchpad:

following this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1645011

sudo modprobe -r psmouse
    sudo modprobe psmouse proto=imps

helped me to fix the touchpad, now cursor moves smoothly and the only gesture i know (scrolling with 2 fingers) works perfect. 🙂

Brad
    Participant

I picked Lubuntu, because it isn’t resources hungry. When the bare system starts to X, process manager shows 259 MB of RAM used. I would like to know, how much would that be with xubuntu or ubuntu/mate, so if anyone of you installs it, let us know, please.

According to this page, you should see about 80MB more memory used with XFCE or MATE depending on distro and version.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5l39tz/linux_distros_ram_consumption_comparison_updated/

This page says that bootup speed (on his machine) was about 26 seconds for Lubuntu versus 29 seconds for Xubuntu and Ubuntu Mate. So seems the performance differences in general are not that great.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-lean-linux-desktop-environment-lxde-vs-xfce-vs-mate/

In a machine with only 1GB RAM I would most def use Lubuntu or other small distro (eg. Porteus, Puppy)
    but with 2GB or more you can use these others. The browser you choose will prob make more of a difference on memory consumption.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Andrez, another user told me Jumper used screenshots. I contacted them it’s okay but they had to give me credit at least.

It’s not uncommon for retailers and AliExpress sellers to use my reviews. Almost none give me credit which sucks…

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password