Good news: found a way to increase TDP limit on ezbook 3 pro (N3450 Apollo Lake & N4100 Gemini Lake)

Good news: found a way to increase TDP limit on ezbook 3 pro (N3450 Apollo Lake & N4100 Gemini Lake)

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Good news: found a way to increase TDP limit on ezbook 3 pro (N3450 Apollo Lake & N4100 Gemini Lake)

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 220 total)
  • Author
    Chris G
    Keymaster

Another thing I would love to do is somehow stop the RAM from clocking down from 2400Mhz to 2133Mhz. If there is a way to force 2400Mhz DDR4 instead of the 2133Mhz all there Gemini Lakes seem to run max. The RAM spec looks like it can do it according to HWinfo and the timing.

I know it’s not much of a boost but if we can get the absolute top speeds it’s a little more of a performance gain.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Henk
    Participant

Hi, @henkdev Great info, I couldn’t get the GPU to hold its turbo well enough like the Apollo Lake. Disabling C-States helps also boost performance at the cost of a little battery. I used a few other ways to help also but now this works a treat! What’s the code for unlimited TDP I want to see how far I can really push this N4100. Or maybe a 20W TDP. I’ve ever seen them use over 15W as a package but I wonder now if it can?

Hi Chris,

This is just a SECOND limiter in some devices, it still listens to the original MSR commands.

The only thing is, if this register is set at lets say, 15 watts, and the MSR 0x610 is set to unlimited, its still 15 watts.

If you disable this register, the only register thats stopping you is the  MSR, wich is easily set with either Throttlestop, or the RW commands posted already in this thread.

My startup batch looks like this:

Rw.exe /Min /Nologo /Stdout /Command=”W16 0xFED170A8 0000″
    Rw.exe /Min /Nologo /Stdout /Command=”WRMSR 0x610 0x0 0x00DD8F00 0″

Where the first command sets the MCHBAR register to unlimited, and the second command sets the MSR to 15 watts.

Easy as dell 😉

Setting the MSR to all zeroes, would ultimately let you consume the maximum amount of  power used by max core turbo clocks and max gpu clocks… if the cooling is adequate or the powerdelivery to the cpu is up to snuff. 😉

PROTIP! By the way, making a batch file, and then run it by task scheduler on “System event” and then “Microsoft-power-troubleshooter =1″, makes the batch run after every ‘wake up’, so after start up, or sleep, or hybernate. So it always runs at your desired speed, even after sleep.

And thanks for your website, if it you didnt do a decent review about this laptop, I probably never would have bought it.

Edit: Oh and yeah, dont know why, but my other account is banned for some reason haha. Probably for using a disposable email adress, but idgaf 😉

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

Ok I added some extra thermal pads to connect the copper heatsink to the case. And I found a great thermal improvement. full load 15watts, about 70 degrees… Now I wanted more power, set the MSR 0x610 to ‘unlimited’.

And it throttled at 15 watts…..

Alright, I set the next 16 bits to zero aswell (just dumb luck) and found out theres another limit in there, in my case a 15 watt limit.

Now it runs completely unlimited, at around 19 watts, all cores to 2.4ghz loaded 100%, gpu at 700mhz, 100% loaded, at a ‘cool’ 85 degrees after about 5 minutes of stress testing.

So I’ve added another string to my batch file, and now

Rw.exe /Min /Nologo /Stdout /Command=”W16 0xFED170AC 0000″
    Rw.exe /Min /Nologo /Stdout /Command=”WRMSR 0x610 0x0 0x00000000 0”

And now it runs completely unlimited at boot.

Ill check if batterylife suffers alot. If so, I’ll set it back to 15 watts.

Henk
    Participant

Idk why, but the forum keeps deleting my posts. Fcking annoying, it even locked out my other account.

Alright, what I was trying to say;

I’ve done another little cooling mod, and added a thermal pad between the copper heatsink and the case, and my tempratures dropped to around 70 degrees at 15 watt load.

So I thought, why not try and give it the full beans, as you made me curious what the limit was.

So I set the 0x610 registers to all zeroes AND…………

15 watts… so without diving into the registers, I just blindly set the next 16 bits to all zeroes, and that fixed it! Just straight dumb luck, no real investigation Ill have to admit.

And apearantly, there was a 15 watt limit hidden in these registers.

Now it goes full beans at around 19~watts, 2.4ghz all cores, 700mhz on the gpu both at 100% load. Around 90 degrees after 5~ minutes or so.

Impressed.

So I’ve updated my startup batch;

Rw.exe /Min /Nologo /Stdout /Command=”WRMSR 0x610 0x0 0x00000000 0″

Chris G
    Keymaster

Great work. I wonder what happened to the post. Sorry, no idea what the silly forum did! But pulling 19W is crazy!

I’m having some odd issue if I run the shortcut it never works and I’ve checked it’s 100% correct. If I cut and paste the command it works fine. So annoying this issue.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Chris G
    Keymaster

@henk-dev

Any tips on a start up bat?  Are you just using Task Manager in Windows?

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Henk
    Participant

Yeah, but I went back to 15 watts. Since I barely use the GPU at all, and the CPU alone throttles up fine to 2.4ghz 2.3ghz all core at 15 watts. But for anyone else, or someone using an actively cooled system, go ahead and try it. 90 degrees is a bit too toasty for me.

Btw, running a batch file at boot and change of power state (waking up from sleep) from the windows task scheduler as admin, works as a charm! Any time my device wakes up, it runs the batch. And using this it doesnt keep popping up with the ******* annoying UAC on windows.

Edit; use this guide

https://sumtips.com/how-to/run-program-windows-wakes-up-sleep-hibernate/

But this only boots it on waking up after sleep or reboot, not at a cold start. So I added a trigger for running it at boot aswell.

And in the main window, make sure it triggers it as admin.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Great thanks for the tips!

I haven’t been able to get 2.4Ghz on all 4 cores just 2.3Ghz as per normal

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Henk
    Participant

Ups, ur right, 2.3ghz is all core clock. 😉 No real overclocking for this puppy, as the multiplier is locked. 2.4ghz is single core boost

Did you manage to get it above 15 watts?

Chris G
    Keymaster

Not yet for some reason, I struggle to get it over about 10W with no thermal throttling but others I hit about 15W.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Chris G
    Keymaster

Okay, I figured one thing out it doesn’t seem to run on boot the Task to run RW with the commands. Manually running it I have then everything unlocked on power limits no limits anywhere so great! Now just to figure out the Task Scheduler why it fails to run or if it runs why the commands don’t work.

For me having the commands like this works.

Rw.exe /Min /Nologo /Stdout /Command=”WRMSR 0x610 0x0 0x00000000 0″

The trick was adding the “-“ at the start without it nothing would run. Now I’m looking into trying to somehow get around RAM at 2400Mhz and not 2133Mhz. HWinfo reports it supports 2400Mhz

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Chris G
    Keymaster

No looking at HWinfo I’m still not going over 10W. Not sure what I’m doing wrong here so odd. I have power limits disabled in the bios, do you?

Do you also run the commands in that exact order?

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Chris G
    Keymaster

@henk-dev Hi, What are your bios settings? Power limit disabled C-states? And what do you have set under thermals?

Thanks, still struggling to get your results or over 11W. Also are you using throttlesstop?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Henk
    Participant

The only thing I did in the bios settings is disabling the Intel DPTF, and setting the bios to unlimited. I didnt touch any C-states or whatever.

Add a pause at the end of your batch file, and try to see what the returns are when you run your batchfile as admin.

Chris G
    Keymaster

@henk-dev So a disabled power limit (unlimited) in the bios and are you on the factory image or your own? I’m on my own fresh install. I can’t see what is holding me back with power limits but my GPU can hold 700Mhz, but still haven’t see it hit your 19W or over 12W

HWinfo reports no power limit.

I have my copper heatsink mod and huge thermal pad temps are great, amazing even so far.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Henk
    Participant

I’m on a clean install, with all the drivers from the BMAX’s website, and then updated them from the intel driver updater tool. As I’ve said I got rid of the DPFT in the bios and coresponding drivers.

The only thing I run, is said bat file at startup with these commands, through Windows task scheduler as administrator (pointing to the rw folder is manditory, because opening CMD as admin always seems to point it to the windows32 folder.)

cd C:\Program Files\RW-Everything\

Wich limits mine to 15 watts, but I also got this script if I quicky want the limit to change afterwards.

@echo off
    echo Change TDP?
    echo [Y]es
    echo [N] Oh no! (Quit)
    echo.

set /P ask=
    if /I “%ask%”==”y” GOTO rwtest
    if /I “%ask%”==”2” GOTO end
    GOTO end

:rwtest
    if not exist Rw.exe goto norw

echo.
    echo TDP Selection
    echo [1] 6W TDP
    echo [2] 10W TDP
    echo [3] 15W TDP
    echo [4] Unlimited TDP
    echo [5] Oh no! (Quit)
    set /P TDP=

if /I “%TDP%”==”1” GOTO one
    if /I “%TDP%”==”2” GOTO two
    if /I “%TDP%”==”3” GOTO three
    if /I “%TDP%”==”4” GOTO four
    if /I “%TDP%”==”5″ GOTO end
    GOTO end

:one
    echo 6W TDP
    Rw.exe /Min /Nologo /Stdout /Command=”WRMSR 0x610 0x0 0x00DD8600 0″
    GOTO end
    :two
    echo 10W TDP
    Rw.exe /Min /Nologo /Stdout /Command=”WRMSR 0x610 0x0 0x00DD8A00 0″
    GOTO end
    :three
    echo 15W TDP
    GOTO end
    :four
    echo Unlimited TDP
    Rw.exe /Min /Nologo /Stdout /Command=”WRMSR 0x610 0x0 0x00000000 0”
    GOTO end

:norw
    echo.
    echo The rweverything installation is not available, please download here: https://rweverything.com/download/
    echo.
    GOTO end

:end
    echo.
    echo All done.
    echo.
    PAUSE

(Ripped this one from OC_Inside.de and deleted the german crap in it)

But the amount of power drawn doesnt really matter, as it can vary from chip to chip. Does it keep sustained turbo speeds under load? And does the GPU stick to 700mhz? If so, thats the fastest you can get with a locked chip.

Try using furmark CPU+GPU stress at the same time, check your clock speeds.
    All cores at 2.3ghz@100% load? that means the CPU doesnt throttle.
    GPU at 700mhz@100% load? Means the GPU doesnt throttle.

If it does throttle, check Throttlestop why it throttles(limit reasons), if its PL1 or PL2, you still have a power limit somewhere in your registers (said MSR or MCHBAR), if it says EDP Current, your motherboard simply cant provide more current to the CPU Package. (I’m not sure if you want to tweak this).

Did I thank you already for your reviews? As I’m happy to say that I bought this laptop solely on your reviews. I’ve been using it as a daily driver for light tasks. (I still have an 10 year old power monster with a 2760QM, wich happily runs circles around the tiny N4100, but for light tasks on a laptop this one is my way to go)

Can you tell me wich BIOS version your BMAX is running? Perhaps there are differences in there.
    Mine is version NB-118-C,with a date of 10/23/2019

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 220 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar