Linux on Atom based devices

Linux on Atom based devices

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Linux on Atom based devices

This topic contains 296 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  jaranya500 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 297 total)
  • Author

pinguy
    Participant

@pinguy

Thanks! It’s solved now.

I’m still struggling to patch the WiFi. It’s getting me mad. I’m sure the problem is that I’m not applying the patch correctly. Can somebody help me?

I’ve opened a ticket issue here: https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs/issues/61

All you should need to do is:

sudo apt-get install build-essential git
    git clone https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs.git
    cd rtl8723bs
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe r8723bs

xjesus
    Participant

Thank you Daniel. I’m not experienced with patches but hope your indications will help me solve this.

In 14.04 03.27 I didn’t include the last gcc compiler so if you want to play with it you will have to

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install g++-5

In the next releases will be included.

Or you can play with 16.04.

It's easier to work on a Virtualbox and then you can create your own ISO.

xjesus
    Participant

@pinguy

As soon as I type those commands to install the WiFi drivers, the tablet freezes in few seconds. Or if I try to boot any ISO with the drivers installed (but not the patches) it doesn’t get to boot. I’ve got it to boot with WiFi only once that I thought that I got it but then it never worked anymore . It may be related to this:

https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs/issues/33s

or other similar issues

Massimo
    Participant

Hi guys, how could I test it?

I cannot boot in Live..

Ultrabook: Acer S3-391 Win 10 x64 + Deepin 15.1.1 Smartphone: Oneplus TWO A2003 Tablet: Teclast X98 Air 64Gb 3G (C5J6, Uefi Bios 2.02) Dual Boot Windows 10 ITA + Android 5 Lollipop By Mirek190 eReader: Kindle Paperwhite

Massimo
    Participant

Hi guys,

I saw an old topic about Ubuntu 14.04 x64 on Teclast tablet. You can find the topic (guide) at the following link:

It is in chinese, if you are not registred you cannot see all stuff. So I decided to print PDF of the page, one in original language and one in english.

I decided to attach also the grub2 boot file mentioned as second step in the guide.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ultrabook: Acer S3-391 Win 10 x64 + Deepin 15.1.1 Smartphone: Oneplus TWO A2003 Tablet: Teclast X98 Air 64Gb 3G (C5J6, Uefi Bios 2.02) Dual Boot Windows 10 ITA + Android 5 Lollipop By Mirek190 eReader: Kindle Paperwhite

Anonymous

So, I just tested the latest 16.04 rc1 build. Things are definitely improving. The screen rotation shortcuts work, my D-link usb wifi works. I was able to log out and back in with the “usu” user and blank password, and switch the keyboard. The issue I was having with the M key seems to be caused by my little portable keyboard, when I switched keyboards the M was M not zero. I tried to play a YouTube video to test the sound but then I had a lockup. I did a hard power-down and the USB drive will not boot now (same as with previous versions)   All this is with the LIVE boot option.

I will fool around with trying to get a persistent live USB working in the next few days.

Great progress guys!!

Massimo
    Participant

So, I just tested the latest 16.04 rc1 build. … All this is with the LIVE boot option. I will fool around with trying to get a persistent live USB working in the next few days. Great progress guys!!

Hi,

please could you help me to understand how could I test it?

I have a Teclast x98 Air 3G 64Gb dual boot Win10 + Android, I made a pendrive with Rufus and every ISOs I fund in this topic, using the “bootia32.efi”, It boots but after some time I get this error:

Can you help me?

Anonymous

I make the usb with rufus and select to iso, bios and efi option, bootable,untick add icons option, it throws 2 dialoge boxes bitching about downloading new drivers….etc, I click no twice and create the usb boot drive.

I have a X98 Plus which is Cherry Trail, xjesus is also using the same tab for his development.

Could be he has things set up for 64bit bios, which we have. I seem to remember the older 3G (baytrail) is only 32bit bios? Maybe with a few tweeks you could get it to boot, IDK.

Max

Massimo
    Participant

Could be he has things set up for 64bit bios, which we have. I seem to remember the older 3G (baytrail) is only 32bit bios? Maybe with a few tweeks you could get it to boot, IDK. Max

Yep you are right, old Teclast Air 3G Baytrail use a 32 Bit UEFI. I cannot understand the issue, maybe I need to erase all EFI files?

I mean, in the pendrive (EFI\BOOT) generated with Rufus you can find:

• bootia32.efi
    • bootx64.efi
    • grubx64.efi

Maybe I just need to erase the 64 bit EFI files?

xjesus
    Participant

Please try to do that and let us know if there is any difference.

I’m going to publish a 32bit release as well and hopefully it will work with your tablet.

Could be he has things set up for 64bit bios, which we have. I seem to remember the older 3G (baytrail) is only 32bit bios? Maybe with a few tweeks you could get it to boot, IDK. Max

Yep you are right, old Teclast Air 3G Baytrail use a 32 Bit UEFI. I cannot understand the issue, maybe I need to erase all EFI files? I mean, in the pendrive (EFI\BOOT) generated with Rufus you can find:

• bootia32.efi
    • bootx64.efi
    • grubx64.efi

Massimo
    Participant

Please try to do that and let us know if there is any difference. I’m going to publish a 32bit release as well and hopefully it will work with your tablet.

Yep you are right, old Teclast Air 3G Baytrail use a 32 Bit UEFI. I cannot understand the issue, maybe I need to erase all EFI files? I mean, in the pendrive (EFI\BOOT) generated with Rufus you can find:

• bootia32.efi
    • bootx64.efi
    • grubx64.efi

Cannot boot 🙁

The same error..

Anonymous

Massimo, did you try the 16.04 distro or the 14.04?? From what I’ve seen the 14.04 distro has a much less complicated boot script and way less features installed.

Maybe try an older version of the 14.04 distro? Xjesus is the man!! All you need to do is pray for a working version and he delivers. His effort here has been super. Thanks again for your work xjesus.

Did you see that glitch? on the downloads page where 1700+ people from china downloaded your distro in one day??!! Teclast…lol

Max

Massimo
    Participant

Massimo, did you try the 16.04 distro or the 14.04?? From what I’ve seen the 14.04 distro has a much less complicated boot script and way less features installed. Maybe try an older version of the 14.04 distro? Xjesus is the man!! All you need to do is pray for a working version and he delivers. His effort here has been super. Thanks again for your work xjesus. Did you see that glitch? on the downloads page where 1700+ people from china downloaded your distro in one day??!! Teclast…lol Max

Hi, I’ve tested some ISOs from:

I think I need to use Windisk32 instead of Rufus.

Another thing, maybe I need to change my Bios, because my tab comes with a dual boot bios (yes, double OS is manage by Bios..)..Maybe I need to flash single boot Bios!

Edit: Guys, with a dual boot tablet you need to boot into Windows partition, after this you can shutdown and boot from an Ubuntu bootable pendrive with no problem!

I’ve tested XJTab64-16.04.01-dist.iso, and I have inverted touchscreen: when I touch in the top left, mouse move in the bottom right side!

MicroSD reader work properly. Display rotation doesn’t. Wifi doesn’t work. Mobile network (3G) doesn’t work too!

I attach my lshw command output.

Attachments:

Massimo
    Participant

Guys,

I’ve tested also a traditional Ubuntu 16.04 beta ISO..Touchscreen is inverted/reversed by default, but online we can find some guide about it:

MicroSD work fine, so it is native supported by Linux Kernel.

Power Management recognize battery mode. WiFi doesn’t work. Network 3G Mobile connection doesn’t work. Front and near camera doesn’t work.

Edit: attached “dmesg_teclast_x98_air_3g.txt“.

In this way you can see more info about booting..

Attachments:

Anonymous

Hmmm, new build!! Downloading!

Max

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password