Short Battery Life on Ezbook 3 Pro

Short Battery Life on Ezbook 3 Pro

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Short Battery Life on Ezbook 3 Pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    John D
    Participant

I got one of the ezbook 3 pro’s for my daughter and after a couple of days of use she complained that the battery would only last for about 2 hours. I have checked this and confirmed that it is in fact the case, which surprised me as one of the main pros of the ezbook was its long battery life.
    So I’ve tried various things like disconnecting the battery for a while and then plugging it back in, doing the hard reset by holding the power button down for 15 sec, but there’s been no improvement.
    But I was just looking at an image that Chris posted in one of his articles showing the internals with the back cover removed and I noticed a difference between the battery wiring of my device and Chris’s. You can see in the image of Chris’s ezbook that the battery has 10 wires coming out of it, 3 red, 4 black, one white, one green and one yellow. Mine is the same except that the green and yellow wires are missing.
    Can anybody else comment on the battery wiring of their ezbook. I’m wondering if this is a manufacturing error or not?

Stefan
    Participant

Hello John,

i can confirm the 8 wire setup on my new EZBook 3 Pro WiFi ac.

But my runtimes are well within expectations. On really heavy useage (multitasking, gaming, video), i get at least 2 to 3 hrs. A little bit browsing, office and stuff like that easy over 5 hours.

You could check the task manager if there is something pushing the processor permanently. But that should be noticable anyway.

When the system is in idle and you only get to 2 hours, the battery may be faulty or something else is draining it.

Norg
    Participant

I have an ezbook 3 pro 2nd gen. (the one with the SSD slot but without wireless AC) and my battery bar normally shows a “full runtime” being 8 hours. All I really do is office work and browsing but if I had to guess it’s really about 6 or 7 hours. Here’s a pic of what battery bar shows at the moment.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    John D
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback guys. I couldn’t believe that your discharge rate was so low Norg. BatteryBar regularly sits between 13,000 and 20,000 mW on my laptop. This was the first clue that the problem looked like something causing some serious drain on the battery.

So I checked task manager and found from time to time something called “Windows Modules Installer Worker” would run the cpu up to high levels. A bit of googling seemed to indicate that I could disable this service without any serious system effects. But disabling that didn’t seem to make that much difference.

So I continued tinkering around the system and as soon as I disabled wifi the battery drain reduced back to more normal levels. Ok, I thought. Surely it can’t actually be the fact that wifi is on that’s the problem. It’s more likely to be something that’s using the wifi for something. So I restarted wifi and to cut a long story short, as soon as I disabled OneDrive the battery drain once again dropped back to more normal levels. Once again, a bit of googling seemed to indicate that OneDrive can be a bit finicky about the way it’s setup and has been known to be a power drain. The sinister thing is though that there’s no indication in task manager of anything out of the ordinary.

Anyway, I’ve only just discovered all this so I’m still investigating and observing to see if I’m onto something or it’s just a coincidence. I’ll update when I have more convincing data.

John D
    Participant

Final update. Long story short, all evidence indicated a faulty battery. I complained to GearBest and the options were return it to China or they would give me a $35 refund. I took the refund option as returning to China is too expensive. Everything else is fine. It’s just not portable anymore.

Unfortunately that’s the risk when buying from these Chinese sellers.

sportnok
    Participant

Have you asked around to try and get a new battery?

Sx C
    Participant

i would try linux or reinstalling windows to see if there is a improvement.

i doubt the problem is with the battery but if it really is the $35 refund is not worth it IMO unless you are spending the money to buy a new.

for one you could use a multi-meter to measure the voltage of the battery, my bet is one of them is not wired up properly so you are only working on 1s1p. take it to a electrician and do some test on it if possible, if one of the cell is faulty it would be best to remove it ASAP especially if your daughter is using it.

John D
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.

I’m not sure how I would go about getting a replacement battery that’s the same type.

I did try a live USB linux with no change. And I did toy with the idea of opening the battery up on the off chance that there might be something obvious like faulty wiring. But my daughter had to head back to University in another city so I figured she could take it with her and at least have a working laptop as long as she had access to a power outlet.

I did use the refund to buy a replacement Pro version4 which I have now recieved. It is working perfectly. So the plan is to give the new one to my daughter the next time she is home and then I can get a bit more adventurous with the old one.

rajko
    Participant

Guys, greetings. I have the same problem with the battery, it fills up nicely up to 100% and goes up to 50% for an unconnected time and extinguishes without warning. I want to note the laptop is 2 months old. I ask for help if someone knows where I can order a new battery for jumper ezbook 3 pro. Thank you!

Cardoso
    Participant

Guys, greetings. I have the same problem with the battery, it fills up nicely up to 100% and goes up to 50% for an unconnected time and extinguishes without warning. I want to note the laptop is 2 months old. I ask for help if someone knows where I can order a new battery for jumper ezbook 3 pro. Thank you!

Mine doing the same. Now is lasting just over 1 hour. where did you get your ezbook?

rajko
    Participant

Greeting! I’m my ezbook 3 pro bought via https://www.geekbuying.com/ with a stocbook in HonKong. I have no guarantee, I have not got an account, so I do not have the opportunity to return from America to Hog Kong.

Cardoso
    Participant

Greeting! I’m my ezbook 3 pro bought via https://www.geekbuying.com/ with a stocbook in HonKong. I have no guarantee, I have not got an account, so I do not have the opportunity to return from America to Hog Kong.

Mine was also bought in geekbuying. i’ve already asked an address to send it back to repair.

Beppe
    Participant

Hello to all,. I received my ezbook 3 pro on 09/03/2018 gearbest. How can I find out the version? the bios 05/12/2017 I have a problem with the battery !!! the battery charge only up to 82% Although the laptop is charging all night, in the morning the battery is 82%.

I’m sorry for my english

Chris G
    Keymaster

Sounds like a battery calibration issues. Drain the battery completely first until it will not even power on. Then let it charge overnight. With some luck it will read 100%. If not open the rear of it, unplug the battery, then plug it in. This could fix it.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX Y13, Mi Gaming Laptop (2019)
    Currently testing: ASUS ROG 2

Chupa
    Participant

Some batteries go bad fast ( in the olden days Dell batteries lasted barely a year). I have a Sony what runs since 6 years and the battery still puts in good 3 hours of work on a regular notebook I3). So you are either lucky or not. Stress test the battery in the first week of your new notebook. Use a monitor like Battery bar to see how the wear level reacts. Drain all day, charge all night. If you see something wrong like more than 4% wear (you seldom have 0%), talk to the dealer for a replacement or refund. Remember the battery is a usable part with a very limited warranty.
    Mine in the Jumper 3S is now 4 months at work all day and has a 5% wear level.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password