The end of 2016 sees the release of the new 14nm Apollo Lake (Atom Cherry Trail successor) Now rebadged as a Celeron or Pentium as to help improve sales and get away from the Atom stigma of Atom = Poor performance. This is the Voyo V1 Mini PC, my unit is powered by the Pentium N4200 with a max turbo of 2.5Ghz, there is another with the Celeron N3450. Both of those chips will also be in tablets.
So this mini PC is palm sized, fan cooled and has a SODIMM slot and M.2 with 4GB of RAM pre-installed and 128GB Forsee SSD as the boot drive. There is even a 32GB eMMC on there, but thankfully only used as a storage drive. Voyo were kind enough to leave the V1’s drivers on it. Both RAM and SSD can be upgraded if you wanted more RAM and more than 128GB. I’ve ordered an 8GB 2133Mhz hyper X stick to see just how far the chip can be pushed. Above is my unboxing, first look and a peak at the internals video.
One thing that you’ll see in the video that I didn’t expect as a USB dongle and no internal wifi module. They don’t make that clear it advertises Wifi 5G, dual band. But that dongle is only Wireless N! So last minute change of plans?
Besides this, it looking okay so far. Thermals peaking at 78 degrees, but I’ve yet to game on it. The fan does sound a bit annoying at full speed, but when not required it does at least turn itself off.
- Feels faster than an Atom X7 Mini PC (maybe the SSD is why)
- Fan can just ramp up to 100% then seconds later is off
- It’s well made.
- RAM and SSD both upgradeable.
- The RAM is 1600Mhz DDR3
- Mini HDMI cable included in the box
- No SATA3 cable or power despite the space for a 2.5″ drive (Must be for future upgrades?)
- The SSD is thankfully the boot drive, not the eMMC.
- The power supply is 12v 3A
- USB 3 ports all work at full USB 3 speeds and can power external HDD’s
- MicroSD slot reads my 128GB card
- To access the RAM and SSD, remove the 4 rubber feet on the bottom. Remove 4 screws, then remove all screws inside and pull out the MB
More on this one soon, just need to get a mobile phone review out and a few others things (GPD Win). I picked this up from GearBest here coupon GBV1N4 brings the price to $214.99 Just be aware for wifi you’ll need to use the dongle and give up a USB 3.0 port. Otherwise use the LAN port if you can.