Bad EZBook pro batteries – How to replace step by step

Bad EZBook pro batteries – How to replace step by step

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Bad EZBook pro batteries – How to replace step by step

This topic contains 232 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by  Paco 3 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 233 total)
  • Author

Paco
    Participant

I have an update:

I talked to the seller and he replied quickly.

He says I should unplug both batteries, charge them individually to 4.3V, and only then plug them together to the computer board.

Seemed reasonable to me.

I asked him how should I charge them individually, and he said I could use a regular 5V 2A charger.

I guess it is time for me to cut some wires.

Did any of you have to do something like this?

Chupa
    Participant

sounds like fun

watch the temp wile doing that (fingertip)

if it gets more than warm, stop!

Paco
    Participant

For some reason I get error:

ERROR: Your reply cannot be created at this time.

See image

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Giannis
    Participant

Hello, first of all I want to thank everyone here for their help and participation. I bought a Jumper EZBook 3 Pro in January 2018 and it had the same problem with the battery of course. I replaced the batteries in May with two less powerful ones that a friend gave me and at first I used to get two hours of usage with medium settings. Three months later the usage time had been reduced to half an hour and it even took 10 minutes to discharge from 100% to 50%, so I bought two 8100 mah batteries from Aliexpress and put them on my laptop four weeks ago. Now I can get up to five hours of medium usage from them with 50% screen brightness, better battery settings, light browsing, youtube and Microsoft Office and it is more if I set the screen brightness 25% and battery saver on. I have noticed though that sometimes the battery takes 15 minutes to discharge from 100% to 80% and after that the discharge time is normal. Considering that the latter, with the fast battery drainage, has happened twice to me, it seems that it might not be the batteries fault, but something else. I have no knowledge of electronics and I just wanted to report my experience with the battery problem, with the exception of which my laptop has been great so far. Also excuse my English, because it is not my native language.

Paco
    Participant

Tomorrow I will solder the batteries again, see whether this worked.

Almost forgot.

Seller also sent me this picture:

This is not the same as we were doing it, now is it?

Please take a look at it and comment.

@giannis

I am in a similar situation: Bought same batteries, however I am struggling to make them work properly. I also think something is not completely right with the way we are doing this. Maybe we can find the solution

Paco

Attachments:

steve
    Participant

hey so i replaced the batterys with the chinese cell ones that are linked earlier on the post a month or 2 ago and everything has worked ok.

this week however, my laptop shut down and wont turn on again unless plugged in suggesting no power.

so i opened up the back and checked all the soldering points were connected which they were, and then i tried a voltmeter on the batterys which are still giving 3.8v each.

however on the pcb board theres no current at the soldering points where the wires connected to the laptop MB.

I dont know why suddenly this board has “blown” after weeks of use and there appears to be no damage or burn marks on it, however im guessing i need a new one? Does anyone have a link to a new battery board as i cant seem to find one myself.

thanks

Paco
    Participant

Ok, so I have promising results now.

First discharge was very good, almost 7 hours of mixed/light use.

Second discharge, also good over 5 hours, with 2+ hours of playing a game (reaching the 9w TDP most of the time) also some video playback.

Still a bit of battery left; goes to hibernate at 4% and after 15 minutes, computer can be turned on again at 7 to 14% (third time now).

Chinese seller was right, it seems. After fully charging both cells manually (both to 4.3V), it now seems to be working as expected. Nothing was faulty.

He proved as helpful as this thread. (To his advantage, of course). Also, I wired the batteries as instructed in this thread; new wires where old ones were. Not as in seller’s picture above.

I will update if there is something new. But for now I am happy. Let’s see how long this lasts.

Paco

Attachments:

tomek
    Participant

hey so i replaced the batterys with the chinese cell ones that are linked earlier on the post a month or 2 ago and everything has worked ok. this week however, my laptop shut down and wont turn on again unless plugged in suggesting no power. so i opened up the back and checked all the soldering points were connected which they were, and then i tried a voltmeter on the batterys which are still giving 3.8v each. however on the pcb board theres no current at the soldering points where the wires connected to the laptop MB. I dont know why suddenly this board has “blown” after weeks of use and there appears to be no damage or burn marks on it, however im guessing i need a new one? Does anyone have a link to a new battery board as i cant seem to find one myself. thanks

There seems to be one wire lack.

There should be 4 wires connected. Am I right?

Paco
    Participant

Ok, this is definitely working now.

4 hours and 30 minutes of video playback (Looping a movie using the Movies and TV app) at 40% brightness and 10% volume. Still 60% strong.

Still falls into “light use” (look at HW info chart, Movies & TV UWP app is quite efficient), but still, this is over 8 hours of battery now. Before it was less than 3.

Least I can do is recommend the seller (H BBA). And, I also recommend checking the voltage of the cells when you first get them. If it is not equal for both of the cells, charge them manually. Be careful not to overcharge them, though. Watch the temperature. It would have saved me a big headache.

Paco

Paco
    Participant

Here is the picture… struggling with the same error I was getting before.

Attachments:

tomek
    Participant

Here is the picture… struggling with the same error I was getting before.

Hi Paco,

I have received the same batteries today you bought.

Could u pls tell me the way you connected the batteries (the way described in this thread or the seller suggested)? I would apppreciate any pictures 🙂

The cells I received are the same voltage on both batteries 3,8V and 3,78V 🙂

Giannis
    Participant

Hello guys, Paco how do you charge the batteries manually? I want to mention that when I soldered the batteries I did it exactly as they were soldered from the factory and not as the picture of the seller implies. Here is a picture of my battery situation today.

Attachments:

Paco
    Participant

Hello everyone,

As I said, I ended up wiring the batteries as they came from the factory, and as seen in this thread. New wires where old ones were. Not as in seller’s picture. (Chances are it doesn’t actually matter. I am still waiting for someone with more knowledge to come and tell us the difference.)

Also, to manually charge the batteries, You can use a regular 5V 2A charger (I used 5V 1.2A, did it gently, but perhaps took too long). I just cut and stripped the wires and tied them to the battery terminals best way I could. Checked regularly with the multimeter to see the voltage, stop at 4.3V. Check temperature regularly, if they get hot to touch, stop. You can read my previous messages for more details.

It seems that I was the only one with this problem, though. Probably you should be fine if both cells come at the same voltage from the beginning. I didn’t check them when I first got them. That was my mistake, I think.

Keep in mind as well that I am completely new to this (Bought a soldering iron and a multimeter to do this). I was asking for advice the whole time. Now I am just sharing my experience.

Good Luck

Paco

Paco
    Participant

Picture.
    One more thing: if you need to, I encourage you to contact the seller. He replied to me quickly and was helpful. He knows what he is selling.

Attachments:

steve
    Participant

i think you replied to the wrong person? Tomek

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 233 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password