Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Fitting an M.2 2280 SSD in EZbook 3 Pro

This topic contains 164 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  Chupa 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 165 total)
  • Author

Chupa
    Participant

If things are screwed up, you have to go low level with diskpart and start all over. Some programs leave hidden partitions what screw things up.
    This article explains how to wipe a disk and prepare for initial use.

After this you can clone or install windows new – if you install new and you see partitions, delete them in the windows install interface until you have only one partition left. Then click new and windows creates all what you need.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Michael
    Participant

Hi there,

I was partially sucessful with cloning but diskpart did not help me that much. I tried it earlier without sucess.

My issue was the AHCI driver (Windows from 2006) which screwed things up.

I updated to the this version from Fernando https://www.win-raid.com/t3225f23-Intel-Apollo-Lake-N-SoC-AHCI-RST.html and was able to format afterwards with the disk manager. Furthermore the cloning worked well, took 16min instead of 5 hours and the SSD works well.

Now I have a second issue and I need your support again.

I tried to change the boot sequence in my bios (locked version) but it seems the SSD is not detected by the Bios (at least I can not select it at all)

Any idea how I can change the boot sequence from EMMC to the SSD because this was my main idea to improve performance of this little, cheap and nice machine.

best regards,

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Chupa
    Participant

normally you do that where all the drives are listed and change the boot order by going to the to one o top and change it to your M.2

You should also have in the exit screen (last one) a boot sequence override for one time use.
    In case of not working send a couple of pictures.
    My Thomson nox13 (near identical french version of the jumper 3 pro) has a complete locked bios too but the boot sequence you can always change.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Chupa
    Participant

I also wonder what the problem with all the SSD driver crap is.
    My Jumper 3S is on 1703 redwood 2 and will stay there, no updates or new drivers will mess with my 3S. It run from day 1 without a problem.
    Maybe you guys with driver problems should try my driver version?

Attachments:

Need Help?

Michael
    Participant

I am totally frustrated now!!!! arghhh

I was able to clone the disk as I wrote before. I could not boot from it but at least I could use it.

Now I checked the Bios, of course I could not find any option regarding the boot sequence so I tried new boot option policy and changed it from default to first and restarted. Afterwards the SSD was not detected anymore at all! I changed it back but still the SSD is not detected anymore.

Not with Disk manager or any other tool. How is this possible?

I attached pictures of my Bios but currently my frustration raised too much! I hope somebody has an idea.

best regards,

Michael

Attachments:

Michael
    Participant

So strange,

I just rebooted several times, always the same issue.

Now I plugged in the power connector and the SSD is shown again (in Windows)

This makes really no sense…

Furthermore any idea about the fact that secure boot in my bios is on custom mode? Can you confirm this setup?

I ordered a new laptop and never changed any bios settings at all.

best regards,

Attachments:

rajko
    Participant

That program you have for cloning, probably something is wrong. uninstall and download this program in free version, and try it with it: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Michael
    Participant

Dear rajko,

This is exactly what I used for cloning.

I restarted again and the SSD is gone, can not be detected anymore.

I reboot again and it is back and can be used (all files available)

Still I could not see it in the bios so far (never)

I suppose it is not an issue from the cloning software but from the bios or drivers.

Kind of frustrating,

Best regards,

Michael
    Participant

Just rebooted twice, first it was connected (power plug) and the SSD was not detected, second attempt I unplugged the laptop and now the SSD is visible again (and working)

A couple of trials before it was exactly the opposite.

Any idea?

Chupa
    Participant

don´t worry, secure boot is often off and on custom.
    I just came over a post where where ksasi the pocojo avatar posts a speed test mark.jpg and that is normally not possible with a 3 pro.
    There might be the possibility that all your troubles come from a new SATA_revision_3.2_(16_Gbit/s,_1969_MB/s) interface what might need other drivers. (if his claim is right) – Maybe Chris knows more about this.

Until things are clarified I would use the M.2 external via USB3 and have the whole system run from it. When everything is clear you just put it inside.

wintoflash and wintousb are your friends.

and this are the speeds you should have.

I know it is not elegant, but it works, I tested myself. It is also an interesting idea to have your whole working os with all programs in a little dongle what you can take with you and put into another computers usb port (best kind of similar because of the drivers) and it just works. Just set the bios to boot from usb, it should be recognized. I wrote some things about this in the last months, just search for m.2 usb or so.
    Just open a new tab and copy this inside: https://techtablets.com/forum/search/m.2+usb+chupa/
    there is much more but them you might try different keywords.

That´s all floks – I told you all I know about this subject.

Need Help?

Vassilis
    Participant

i have YEPO 737A which is identical with Ezbook 3 pro
    i bought the KINGSPEC SSD 128GB but finally i realised it is not compatible !!!!!
    other times it recognised by the BIOS others NOT
    when it is recognised it is so FAST
    but i can NOT reply on this product
    i am so sad !!!

i tried all the advices but NO success.

i did a clone from windows 10 eMMC to my new SSD but sometimes cannot recognised by the BIOS

any other suggestions-solutions?

Chupa
    Participant

YES, read through this whole post, all 7 pages and you find your solution

Need Help?

Vassilis
    Participant

YES, read through this whole post, all 7 pages and you find your solution

I followed all the pages and there is NO solution

Bios sometimes recognize KingSpec SSD and sometimes NOT

windows always recognize SSD and speed test are extremely good

470 MB/SEC read and 371 mb/sec write

Buy how to boot from SSD when BIOS is so unstable

I have the same problem as Michael explained in some post before!!!

Please help us

Attachments:

Chupa
    Participant

my answer <span class=”bbp-reply-post-date”>May 7, 2018 at 6:14 pm</span> was direct above your question. do it external first.
    But I think we need to tackle this problem different

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

Please share your data regarding m.2 SSD failures here so we can find a solution together.

Need Help?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password