The Lapbook Pro by chuwi is their first competitor to the likes of Matebook X from Huawei and others. However, they do not compete with each other, at least in the sense of price bracket.
This laptop by Chuwi retails for £240 on AliExpress or 419€ on all european Amazons except for the UK Amazon. Chuwi made their first attempt at almost bezel-less laptops and excelled at it, the screen is great, the keyboard and touchpad while very good still have some flaws I’ll go through in a few moments.
These are the specs on Lapbook Pro:
- CPU: Intel Celeron N4100
- RAM: 4GB @ 2133Mhz
- Storage: 64 EMMC (I was not able to find the manufacturer)
- Screen: (Model: BOE06DF)
The screen is, without doubt, the most attractive aspect of this laptop. It is bright, colorful, almost bezel-less and an overall great screen. According to Panelook, this screen goes up to 300 cd/m² which is bright enough but it is, just like the LapBook SE, very glossy and reflective.
The build quality is, in few words, great. The Lapbook Pro is fully made of metal, including the palm rest. There is no keyboard flex whatsoever, the screen hinge is stiff and inspires confidence, however it is not perfectly weighted as trying to open the laptop with one hand lifts the keyboard as well.
- Fully made of metal
- Good hinge mechanism
- No keyboard or screen flex
Not so positive:
- The touchpad seems to have some friction while using it for scrolling using the windows precision drivers, it is not as smooth as the Lapbook SE but still quite good.
- The keyboard while good, the background illumination is unevenly spread, more noticeable on larger keys such as shift and enter. It is also not as good as the LapBook SE keyboard but very close and might be subject to preference.
Those were the main aspects I felt I had to cover, I’ll go over a few more points next and hopefully it will help you decide whether you should or should not buy the Lapbook Pro.
- Great OGS screen, with very slim bezels
- Solid premium feel to the build quality
- Rather large touchpad
- Overall a good keyboard with good key travel
- SSD Expandable slot (M2 2240/2280)
- No branding behind the screen, it is however on the front but not as noticeable.
Negative or not so positive aspects:
- Restrictive IO (Mini HDMI, 1 USB-C and 1 USB 3)
- Unevenly lit keyboard
- Rather weird feel to the touchpad (Might be personal preference)
- Speakers are on the bottom, however the sound is not bad nor good.
- Reflective screen (I personally don’t mind it, but might be troublesome if you use it outside)
I will try to upload a few more pictures but I am quite time restricted. Hopefully this helped you as I could not find any reviews on the Lapbook Pro, besides very broad ones on Amazon and a few websites.