Currently, I have the Mechrevo S1 Pro, it’s no doubt another brand you haven’t heard of and another first for me too. But I’m going back to the site’s roots testing out unknown brands and taking some risks. This 14” laptop is like the 2019 Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro only smaller. But has upgradable RAM (comes with one stick of 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz) the Whiskey Lake U Intel Core i5 8265U and the newer Nvidia MX250 dedicated GPU with 2GB of DDR5 RAM. It can handle some light gaming on low settings for new titles and high for older or light engine titles. Below is a quick look at it with some photos. I got this laptop from Gearbest and it sells here for $699. It’s still at this lower price but only for 5 more days. There is also coupon GBNBS1PRO01 and you can get it for $699.
Mechrevo S1 Pro the $699 Mi Notebook Pro alternative. Core i5 8265U, Nvidia MX250. 8GB upgradable to 16GB RAM! ( But single slot only) https://t.co/vkCwv2JyW2 review coming soon pic.twitter.com/Lq78C0G3vl
— TechTablets (@TechTabletscom) July 30, 2019
The paint work is attracting a lot of fingerprints like the Mi Notebook Pro, maybe even worse. So far for the $699 it seems a good deal considering the Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro is around $930. But there are a few big differences.
- The battery is 50Wh so about 6-8 hours depending on what you’re doing. This is around 20% less than the Mi Notebook Pro
- The speakers are standard run of the mill. Nothing like the great Harmon Infinity ones in the Mi Notebook Pro
- The keyboard is decent, backlit and okay touchpad but no fingerprint scanner
- The type-C port is only USB 3.0. No video out for me or charging.
- Like the Mi Notebook Pro it doesn’t have Windows 10 in English. Windows 10 Chinese only (Not hard to do a clean install)
- The Nvidia MX250 is the best 25W version, not the crippled 10W TDP one.
- It can take another 2280 SSD and a 2.5” drive for cheaper storage. The included 512GB SSD is sata3 spec
- Two thermal copper transfer pipes and dual fans. So far seem up to the job. But will be testing heavy gaming ready for the full review coming soon.