Chuwi’s new Hi12 metal keyboard dock landed in the office today, here’s the unboxing and hands-on video as well as a comparison to the old plastic model.
You can get this new keyboard from Gearbest here for $39
Some of my first impressions of the new and improved Hi12 keyboard:
- Typing experience has drastically improved thanks to a more rigid keyboard with no flex when typing.
- The trackpad still has no settings to disable gestures.
- The new trackpad feels more accurate and smoother. The added height is a definite improvement.
- The overall feel and build is much better now thanks to a metal top half.
- It slots into place easier, but if you pick up just the tablet, the keyboard could drop out.
- Harder to tip over thanks to more of a counterweight. But it’s heavier at 865 grams / 1.9 pounds.
- USB 2 ports work just as before.
- Thinner than the plastic dock at the front and designed to look slimmer on the sides.
- Build quality is similar to the HiBook keyboard, but not as rigid.
- When fully reclined doesn’t sit flat. Some flex on the right-hand side when the tablet screen is pushed right back. (Later fixed bending the keyboard a little)
While not a perfect keyboard, it looks much better and it’s better to type on. I’m happy with it so far.
New Hi12 dock images: